Author Topic: Atari 2600 Stella for Dingux  (Read 8663 times)

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
Atari 2600 Stella for Dingux
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:45:29 am »
I've been playing around with Stella for Dingux but annoyed by the default keymap. I know you can adjust this, but there are some important defaults missing that make it impossible to switch tabs (for example) to adjust these in the first place!
So I've grabbed the source and compiled my own version - optimized here and there of course. It now runs a fair but quicker. My benchmark was Pitfall II which was running abysmally previously. Now it runs... slowly. I can at least recognize the tune!

Anyway, new binary coming soon.

QBert

Re: Atari 2600 Stella for Dingux
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:15:51 pm »
Do you ever rest, Slaanesh? :)

eule

• * Former Staff
  • e
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »
Do you ever rest, Slaanesh? :)
Fortunately not!  ;D
Thanks Slaneesh for your ongoing engagement, you rock!

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:25 pm »
Developing and porting software IS resting for me. :)

Here's the build:

http://www.slaanesh.net/2010/01/stella-235-optimized-build-v10-for.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:23:00 am by slaanesh »

Kalisiin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:11 am »
Developing and porting software IS resting for me. :)

Here's the build:

http://www.slaanesh.net/2010/01/stella-235-optimized-build-v10-for.html
And we are all eternally grateful for that, out here.  Get more rest!!  :P

Spiller

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:25:15 am »
For everybody's information: I am still working on porting Stella to the native firmware, but it's turning out to be bit of a nightmare. I finally got libstdc++ ported to the native firmware, but there are still some critical bugs in it. StelGOO compiles and links fine but all it does is crashing right now. :-\ Let's hope that the performance is OK when I finally get to actually run it.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:02:08 am »
libstdc++ is a bit of a bitch. I know, working with the GP32 for instance, makes porting anything using c++ quite difficult.
In fact I would imagine that developing for native OS is very much like devving for the GP32 with many similar problems.

One of the most likely problems is memory allocation - is your libstdc++ using whatever the native method is of allocating RAM? And what about filesystem handling? That's the other pain for the GP32.

Solstice

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:24 am »
thank you for all your work m8!!!! :D
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

Spiller

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:00:40 am »
libstdc++ is a bit of a bitch. I know, working with the GP32 for instance, makes porting anything using c++ quite difficult.
In fact I would imagine that developing for native OS is very much like devving for the GP32 with many similar problems.

One of the most likely problems is memory allocation - is your libstdc++ using whatever the native method is of allocating RAM? And what about filesystem handling? That's the other pain for the GP32.

Memory handling is OK, I had that all in working order for LynGOO already. Filesystem is a bit different. I don't have access to any of the lowlevel open, close etc filesystem functions, so I have to emulate those through fopen, fclose, etc which I do have access to. Anyway I am being stopped by a seemingly trivial bug right now. The string.size() method is returning -1 for zero length strings, thus letting the Dingoo hang on any string operation done on an empty string. I have already spent hours and hours trying to locate the cause... :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:48:33 pm by Spiller »

Spiller

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:01:24 am »
Sorry, wrong button.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:47:56 pm by Spiller »

capt_bugaloo

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
For everybody's information: I am still working on porting Stella to the native firmware, but it's turning out to be bit of a nightmare.
Good luck buddy - I am really looking forward to being able to play some classic Atari 2600 games on the Dingoo!

Kalisiin

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:45 pm »
Slaanesh, you rock!  I finally took the plunge and tried this one out - I have so much going on I only now had a chance to really try and wring this one out.

This kicks dingux-2600's butt!

This is way better, and much more user friendly, I think.

But you might mention to people it's easier if you put Stella directly in your /usr/local folder, and not usr/local/emulators - because the first place it looks for roms is usr/local/stella/roms.

I like the user interface much better, though.  And there's more stuff to wank around with to fine-tune some games, lots of settings available.

This is truly a great piece of work, thank you!!

P.S. no diss intended to ZX-81, dingux-2600 was good at the time, but this Stella port just beats the pants off it, that's all there is to it!

Hellsing1

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:56:49 am »
Hi

How do you get this to display correctly?

It seems to be zoomed in as it only shows two thirds of the screen.

Hellsing

EvilHimself

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 01:35:03 am »
can i use the gmenu file launcher instead of the stella launcher?

What i need to change?

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »
Is there a way to adjust the keys via the rc file? If I'm not mistaken the current keymappings are (version 2.3.5 optimised for Dingoo):
Code: [Select]
A               : Fire!/enter in menus
B               : Cancel in menu 1
X               : Start/Reset
Y               : Select game variant
L               : Menu 1/Pause (B = Cancel; L/R = Menu item next/prev.)
R               : Menu 2/Pause (R = Cancel; L = Menu item next)
Select          : -none- (?!)
Start           : Start/Reset
The keys in menu 1 and 2 differ. I get confused all the time. Other than that it's a great emu for one of the, if not the , most popular consoles of all time. Or at least: the first serious one.
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

Post a new topic
Post a new topic