• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Rockbot (a megaman-like game) needs artists  (Read 4515 times)

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
Rockbot (a megaman-like game) needs artists
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:20:01 pm »
Ok, I am creating a SDL game, much similar to classic Megaman - see info and screenshots in http://rockbot.upperland.net - and it already runs almost perfectly in Dingux. But I'm currently lack pixel art and music (in MIDI or mod formats).

So, if you are an artist, or know a guy that have talent for music/graphics and have some free time and desire to contribute, contact me! :)

I should make a release, including a Dingux build, somewhere in october. SVN and data are available in sourceforge.net public SVN if you want to give it a try.

Thanks in advance.
Rockbot Lead game designer.

darfgarf

Re: Rockbot (a megaman-like game) needs artists
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »
:) good to see you here, and good to see you got hold of a dingoo too

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »
Yep, it is a VERY GOOD piece of hardware, and once I have some free time, I plan to port some SDL games to it, as it is very easy to do so in Dingux.
I still need to learn how to create SDL apps for the native firmware however.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:47:15 pm »
Cool! I loves me some Mega Man! It's my favorite video game franchise ever!

I wish 9 & 10, or at least the upcoming "Mega Man Universe" would release on PC. But it looks like I'm going to have to bite the buster shot and buy a fuggin' 360 eventually. Or maybe a PS3. But it's not like I can go "Oh I have expendable income and will now purchase this!". Putting together a decent gaming PC was hard enough. I JUST got a fairly decent video card (by my standards... GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB, overclocked a bit.)

Sigh. Capcom already sells many of their games through Steam. Why not Mega Man? I know a lot of those PC games were built with the MT Framework engine, so originally they are built for Windows PC, then ported to the consoles. Unlike MM 9/10 and Universe. But still, man. It's like, was it THAT hard? Why you gotta do me like that, bro?

I have those "still haven't played Mega Man 9 and 10" blues.

BLUES! GET IT!?!!

Ugh.

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »
I wish 9 & 10, or at least the upcoming "Mega Man Universe" would release on PC.

I've started this project exactly because Capcom did not released Megaman 9 for PS2 or PC :D
Actually, Rockbot have an editor also, so, it will be possible to re-create those games, and it does run on Windows, Linux, Nintendo DS, Dingux and PS2 (more ports can be made, such as Mac, XBox and Android). There is a video of Magma man stage re-created on Rockbot.

But that should take some time, I'll just release 0.1 in the end of the year, and most parts are hard-coded and not editable, and I'm the only developer.

zear

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:03:19 pm »
Wow, I didn't notice it was you protomank who was the author of Rockbot. I had the opportunity to playtest the early dingux version of Rockbot that darfgarf made and I must say that while I never liked megaman games, this one was really great.
Maybe you would like to join our irc channel #dingoonity on freenode? All the dingoo devs hang out around there ;)

more ports can be made, such as Mac, XBox and Android
Even more than you think. Our scene is close to the GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo/Pandora/NanoNote one, some people (like me) will sure be interested to port your game to that platforms :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:07:21 pm by zear »

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:09:13 pm »
I have little time to use on IRC, sadly. Phorums I can use from work ;)
I know a guy already ported the game to GP2X and it worked. But did not knew people actualy already had compiled it to Dingoo, heheheeh.
Nice to hear you liked it, next beta should be much more like a game, with complete stages and such that were missing in previous betas.

zear

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:14:28 pm »
I know a guy already ported the game to GP2X and it worked. But did not knew people actualy already had compiled it to Dingoo, heheheeh.
I thought darfgarf noticed you about his port and that's how you first learned about the dingoo ;)
Anyway, it's great to have you here, we're short of genuine game developers :)

darfgarf

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 10:26:49 pm »
 :D i certainly mentioned it at one point, and had at least one response, but i'm probably more forgetful than anyone else, so can't really talk

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:50 pm »
You guys are right, my bad (memory) :D

Anyway, your incentive will make me work doubled on Rockbot this weekend, thanks a lot ;)

hi-ban

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »
what's the limit of the color palettes you will use in the game? i think i can help with the graphics...

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:24 pm »
It is a expanded NES palette with some extra colors.
Take a look in the dev guide: http://rockbot.upperland.net/?page_id=241&lang=pt-br
It is a bit outdated because I've added more 3 colors:
#706e6e, #ffc000 and #ffea00

There are 3 more colors used for cycling.

hi-ban

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »
ok, tell me what graphics do you want and i'll start making them. ;-)

btw, why such a small color palette? wouldn't it be better and more visually-pleasant to make full use of a standard 256-color palette? or maybe you do it in purpose, so it looks like a NES game?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:20:04 pm by hi-ban »

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:49:23 pm »
I want to keep the game "old-school", but lately I am truly thinking about expading to almost full 256 colors (never will be true-color because it would make some color tricks very hard). Almost because I have to reserve some for special effects.

Well, what I need mostly now, are NPCs, small ones like bats, meetools and such, you are free to invent.
Also, you can send me improved versions of current graphics :)

Orion4874

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:30:15 pm »
You should also try over at the gp32x forums. If you do a Wiz/Caanoo port maybe someone there could lend a hand, then you can bring that over to the Dingoo. Just a thought!

Post a new topic
Post a new topic