Author Topic: Idea  (Read 1195 times)

Everett

Idea
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:18:43 am »
Not sure if it's the right place for this, but it seemed fitting.

I'm new on these boards but I often show up on the irc channel as Everett1911. You can call me Everett or just "Sammy".

since a few weeks, I've been thinking about something. Now, I have no idea how feasible it'd be, for the simple reason I have no coding knowledge at all, but with the recent release of a virtual mouse driver, I became convinced to talk about my idea, since the virtual mouse would greatly benefit it.

It would be a windows 3.x-like gui for both the dingoo a320/a330, and the ben nanonote, allowing some multitasking (for exemple, listening to music while reading a pdf file or the offline version of wikipedia, or for the nanonote, browsing the web-- the thing supports sdio, right?) for apps the user could set in a properties menu as either multitask or singletask, meaning that it would be possible to run some lightweight games (ressource-wise) along with your music listening (again.), while singletasking would unload the gui from the device's memory to free as much memory for more ressource-intensive applications, with the gui retaining all informations relative to what the user had opened prior to launching the singletasking app. Think of it as a more active hibernation function, function which can be modified in its relevant control panel (for exemple, allowing the user to choose if the gui keeps track of what apps were open, or if it only keeps track of what group the user was browsing at the time it lanched the singletasking app, allowing the gui to load much faster as it wouldn't have to load a 32/64mb file that has all the ram's content.

There would be basic apps like a file browser and a text editor, which would use either an onscreen keyboard (either traditional or hybrid, like the one in dingux-write) for the dingoo handhelds, or the nanonote's physical keyboard. The mouse cursor would be moved around with the d-pad (or arrow keys, for the nanonote, with a keyboard shortcut to use the keys in a more traditional manner, for exemple to scroll through text files), with the Y and B buttons on the dingoo as the left and right mouse buttons, and X and A as speed modifiers (with X being slower and A being faster), and the R shoulder button would bring up the onscreen keyboard. Unlike in windows 3.x, right-clicking an icon would bring up a right click menu letting the user choose basic stuff like changing properties of said icon, rename or delete it, etc.

The gui could be extensively modified. although the basic structure would remain the same, everything else can be changed about it. for exemple, someone could change the color schemes or fonts and background image, general icons or whatever else (akin to windows 9x' method), or could completely change the gui's appearance (akin to windows xp and gmenu2x' methods), and even modify the gui's more technical data, enabling for exemple a potential working clock on the taskbar, or a volume icon (like in apple's system 7.5 OS and onward). the possibilities could be nearly infinite.

Of course, not knowing if it's possible, perhaps all this talk is crazy nonsense; still, I felt like contributing this idea. perhaps it might inspire others for their own projects?

(by the way, is a clock even possible on the dingoo/ben nanonote handhelds?)

Post a new topic