Author Topic: FGL Open-Source  (Read 8821 times)

flatmush (OP)

FGL Open-Source
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:17:21 pm »
FGL is now officially open-sourced, it's got a googlecode and mailing list if anybody is interested.

GoogleCode: http://code.google.com/p/fgl
Mailing List: [email protected]

If anybody has been working on this then I'd love to have more comitters on the project as I don't have as much time as I used to to maintain it, even if your contribution is just pointing out priority issues that need fixing then that'd be great.

And for the more visually driven among you, here's an image of what it's capable of :D Unfortunately most of the screenshots of the 3D demos (from Native) are no longer online and I don't have easily accessible copies.

SilverhawkBR

Re: FGL Open-Source
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57:17 am »
Its an engine, i presume, but what it does exactly?

3D Graphics? 2D FX-ed Graphics?

flatmush (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »
3D graphics using fixed point maths, basically a replacement for opengl with a similar interface.

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:07:07 pm »
Interesting. Think it's fast enough to be implemented on 3D console emulators?

Reesy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »
Wow, I've been waiting for this.  I was previously hesitant about making use of FGL because I wanted to dev on windows ( and port to handheld systems at the end ) but since the lib was only available for the Dingoo it meant having to build everything on the Dingoo which is a pain when you are new to something. 

Now you've released the source code, I've built the lib for windows and I'm starting to muck around with it.  I love the fact that there is an object loader built into the lib,  I've been downloading objects like mad to see what works and what doesn't. 

I might actually get somewhere with a 3d library at this rate :)  ( I've usually given up by now )

Anyway thanks for all of your work putting FGL and libFixedMath together. 

Reesy

flatmush (OP)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 05:32:43 pm »
Cool, I'm glad it's useful to you, but you know I'm not really a closed source guy, if you ever want code for stuff I haven't released then just drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy next time :)

If you find any bugs in the library (and there are a few) then don't hesitate in letting me know.

bnolsen

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »
Would you mind licensing this with a "modified" LGPL?  One of the problems is that the LGPL requires a platform has the ability to dynamically load libraries.  Would you mind modifying the library license to allow "static" linking as well?  This would help on other platforms as well.

flatmush (OP)

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:01:12 am »
Changed the license to LGPL with Linking Exception, unfortunately GoogleCode doesn't support this in the license section so I've just written it at the bottom of the description on the main page.

Poligrafowicz

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
I would really like to try some 3D graphics on Dingoo. I tried to write some stuff using TingyGL, but that lib was slow and buggy on Dingoo. Anything more complicated than a bunch of untextured triangles crashed the device.

I presume I shouldn't have any problem compiling stuff with FGL for Dingux?

P.S. I'm lacking time to test that myself now :P

flatmush (OP)

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:13:34 am »
FGL should be fairly fast and can certainly do textured models, etc. but it's still lacking because I haven't had much time to work on it. One thing to note is that while it's not hard to implement (a few lines), standard FGL doesn't support GL_REPEAT type behaviour yet so out of bounds texture coords will cause issues (due to supporting npot textures).
There are a collection of samples if you want to see what it's like to program for though, they are for native but the FGL calls are going to be the same for any platform: http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-sdk/source/browse/trunk/dingoo_sdk/samples/

cpou

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:34:58 pm »
Hi Flatmush,
Congratulation for the FGL: that's really an impressive work. I compiled the samples on my Win7 and test them on my dingoo, they work fine. 3D is sure nice.
Do you know the game Daggerfall? It's a 3D 1996 adventure game, freely available since 2009 but source code has been lost. Since quite a time now, a genius/crazy guy aka "Lucius" works on rewriting the source code in the very spirit of the game and he'll sure come to an end some day soon (see http://xlengine.com).  Been obsessed by Daggerfall myself, I currently study the feasability of adapting DaggerXL (rewrite's name) to Dingoo.
Would you kindly answer some questions:
1/ If you take a look to DaggerXL graphics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQ0rYjIaro), do you think the FGL could attain these performances?
Basically, Daggerfall shows 2 gameplay: dungeon crawling (corridors, rooms, monsters), and village wandering (houses, people).
2/ FGL is impressive but I terribly lack documentation to do anything with it. Do you plan to release some OpenGL/FGL correspondance table
3/ I didn't try TinySG. How would you define FGL regards to TinySG?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:15:41 am by cpou »