Author Topic: A couple of rootfs upgrades...  (Read 33972 times)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
Re: A couple of rootfs upgrades...
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 10:16:58 pm »
Damn these updates rule. Do you have a website or a donation system. Everything is running sooooo good now. I hope you continue to port stuff over. I would love to see a recompiled shadow warrior with sound and maybe a rott update

Goon8

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:23 pm »
You make us sad joyrider!

The dingoo still has a lot of life left in it! and you're abandoning it ! For shame, my friend! For shame!

I'm sure 90+% of the community are not spamming whining trolls whom suck the life out of the forum. As you would know only around 10% of people who visit a forum will post, of that 10% maybe 2 percent are idiots, who will post a constant stream of retardation at everyone no matter what.  ;D 

People do buy the Dingoo because it's cheap, but it's people like you who have opened it up and helped form this community with your projects and great enthusiasm and of course programming knowledge! Hopefully you get back "In the mood" and decide to come back one day and continue programming!

vimrc

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:05 pm »
My friend, this is just life, live a little, love a little.

mauromartins

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 01:16:56 am »
@joyrider, I, and all brazilians are very sad with your announcement  :'(

Here in Brazil, we are developing a nice community around Dingoo. They created a MSN channel, a website, a forum. We have a guy who create some great Doom mods, and recently, a owner of a famous gaming website brought a Dingoo, so, here, the little guy are going to be relevant.
Currently, Im studying Electrical Engineering, and I finished my exams. So I will have a lot of spare time, and I will dedicate a lot of time to learn how to hack, improve, program to Dingoo. Im installing some Linux distro in one of my Pc?s, to learn how to program, how to port things. I stopped using precompiled Dingux images; in fact, I uploaded a update for toddler?s local here, and another to brazilians.

So I ask you to renew your interest in Dingoo. I know there are some very annoying guys around here, and I know badly how it excerts all of our motivation. Im a blogger, and I brought a Nokia N800 ealier this year, and started hacking, changing things, but a community started around the gadget, and some people are just retard: they don?t want to know how to do things. They offend you, if you don?t teach, they call you a homer, etc. But, clearly, there is some good heads here, and you can share your knowledge with them.

Chris23235

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:48 pm »
@ Joyrider

While it's completely up to you, if you program for the Dingoo or not, I found your message here strange. Complaining about people who are complaining too much seemed odd to me. The Dingoo has exact the same kind of users as other open Handheld communities I knew (GP32 or Nintendo DS). Not everybody is a coder, not everybody is willing to dive deeper in the whole materia.
The preassembled packs, you don't like are an easy way to get everything, that exists for Dingux on your machine, nothing less and nothing more. I don't see a problem with that.
Why should it be a problem to use a pack, which serves the same functionality as a Linux distribution on a desktop PC? I would find it odd, if someone calls the users of Suse Linux, users who use a "preassembled pack, and have no idea how to do this or how to enter commands them selves let alone read a readme or follow it".
Obviously there are difficulties installing Dingux with certain configurations, I never had any, but with Windows Vista and Windows 7, not everything seems to work in the same Way as in XP.
People just buy the dingoo cause it's cheap and want to play games on the emulators, but can't seem to figure out stuff themselves, although there are exceptions most are like this.
This may be true, but were is the problem? And is it different on other platforms? I highly doubt.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:57:45 pm by Chris23235 »

Reo

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 11:48:18 pm »
@ Joyrider

While it's completely up to you, if you program for the Dingoo or not, I found your message here strange. Complaining about people who are complaining too much seemed odd to me. The Dingoo has exact the same kind of users as other open Handheld communities I knew (GP32 or Nintendo DS). Not everybody is a coder, not everybody is willing to dive deeper in the whole materia.
The preassembled packs, you don't like are an easy way to get everything, that exists for Dingux on your machine, nothing less and nothing more. I don't see a problem with that.
Why should it be a problem to use a pack, which serves the same functionality as a Linux distribution on a desktop PC? I would find it odd, if someone calls the users of Suse Linux, users who use a "preassembled pack, and have no idea how to do this or how to enter commands them selves let alone read a readme or follow it".
Obviously there are difficulties installing Dingux with certain configurations, I never had any, but with Windows Vista and Windows 7, not everything seems to work in the same Way as in XP.
People just buy the dingoo cause it's cheap and want to play games on the emulators, but can't seem to figure out stuff themselves, although there are exceptions most are like this.
This may be true, but were is the problem? And is it different on other platforms? I highly doubt.
From sitting in the chat regularly for about 2 months, I can honestly say that joyrider has a point. Yes, there are many people who redownload the local pack every time there's a new release. People have posted in the thread for toddler's pack saying to hurry up and release a new pack because there's a new emulator release, rather then installing it themselves. It's ridiculous for how easy it actually is, even when considering how much technical knowledge people lack.

Bouvrie

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 07:53:00 am »
From sitting in the chat regularly for about 2 months, I can honestly say that joyrider has a point.
Sorry for the thread hijacking, but as this seems to be the spot to discuss... :P

I fail to see how an ignorant community downloading local packs can stop a developer from developing. Basically most developers like to do so by nature (it'll start to itch whenever you're not programming) and primarily do this for themselves. The fact that there are other people benefitting from your work (and thereby proving that it works) should be rewarding in itself.

Unless people start giving credit to local pack assemblers rather than the developers, I don't think joyrider intended to use the community's (lack of) technical knowledge as an argument for not developing. His interest shifted and the Dingoo hasn't got his attention much lately.
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

GCM

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 02:46:46 am »
Thanks elta, it works great

m0wtJ

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 12:34:42 pm »
Hey Thanks, but why didn't you upload the zImage with it?
Isn't that one suppose to be updated too?

Shin-NiL

• Shin-NiL's Personal Web Page (Brazilian Portuguese)
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 04:07:57 pm »
Hello Elta!

Can you add suport for XPM images on SDL_image in a next release? I'm needing the function IMG_ReadXPMFromArray, but I can't figure out how to recompile the library by myself.

Thanks and keep your great work  :)

remax

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »
I'm sad because of joyrider post. But think that perhaps people who don't post are people who know how to install the apps...

Elta (OP)

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:14 am »
Thanks for the info Joyrider.

I'm sad to hear you won't code for the Dingoo anymore.
I hope you will change your mind later.
At first I was a little disappointed by the Dingoo, but the more time pass the more I like this little box ;)

Shin, do you still need XPM support in SDL_Image ?
I could use this to write a tutorial about cross compiling applications and modifying the rootfs.

Shin-NiL

• Shin-NiL's Personal Web Page (Brazilian Portuguese)
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:00 pm »
Hello Elta.

I recompiled the SDL_image library with support for XPM, but do not know how to add to the rootfs, so I linked it statically with my application to be able to use it.

Anyway, your tutorial would be very welcome  ;)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:47:56 pm by Shin-NiL »

mauromartins

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 03:49:49 pm »
Elta, I will be pleased if you can post a tutorial to how add configs using buildroot. I was trying to add XPM in SDL_Image for Shin-NiL without sucess. Meanwhile, Im starting do develop my project to finish my graduation, so, learning how to build a kernel image with toolchain will help me in this area, too.

Shin-NiL, you rocks! Congratulations for your port. I will test a lot of ports to know how far Dingoo can go.

volcanic

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:17 am »
I hope you would come back one day.Joyrider...

volcanic

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 02:40:50 am »
Mediafire is blocked here.Some can upload the new roofs file to somewhere else??Thx.

Chris23235

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:47 pm »
Mediafire is blocked here.Some can upload the new roofs file to somewhere else??Thx.

Uploaded the rootfs20091208 to Megaupload

DEADBEEF

• たのしいDINGUX
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 01:07:31 am »
Snes9x-sdl-1.39(20091124)
Recompiled with Elta's custom toolchain patch.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3imvj25dznl/snes9x-pack-elta.zip

volcanic

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 01:46:47 am »

Uploaded the rootfs20091208 to Megaupload
Thanks Man!

Long

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 08:10:22 am »
HEXEN + HERETIC don't work with "read only filesystem" error

Post a new topic