Author Topic: I have a Dingoo A380: my experience  (Read 13222 times)

Lukianox (OP)

I have a Dingoo A380: my experience
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:03:39 am »
I went looking for some kind of emulation in the psp and found the Dingoo A380 on eBay. I bought it on an impulse. I searched around the net just to find out that this is a cursed device. From what I've read the Dingoonitty Comunitty hates the manufacturer for some GPL licence I don't really understand. So I got screwed by myself.

As a noob who can't return the device for a refund. Is there something I can do with my A380? I want to play the 3D native games but I don't know how (the device came without them). The gb, gba, MD, mame, neogeo, sfc, sf emus that came preinstalled were Pretty good cept a few glitches. I don't eve have an idea of where to look for emulators that would work on this Dingoo. I guess I have to stay with the glitches and play those rom types.

Pros:
- If you like a pretty handheld emulator for NES, snes, sega MD, GAMEBOY (advance, color), mame, neogeo, you're in for a treat.
- The AV Out works excellent (the jack needs to be pushed with a little force if you're getting some gray weird image.
- battery life time is excellent
Cons:
- China company
- No crowdsourced development and obviously no crowdsupport
- some glitches can get annoying

Lesson:
By the look of the relationship between manufacturer and developing community I would tell you that if you like this device for just a few roms then it's ok. But if you expect for something that doesn't come factory sealed then you must look for the A320, Pandora, Gp2X, Wiz, Canoo etc.

NOTE: If you want me to show you something or try something on the Dingoo A380 just let me know and I'll post it on YouTube

SilverhawkBR

Re: I have a Dingoo A380: my experience
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:59:25 pm »
The idea is simple, the chinese manufacturer of the Dingoo A380 released it WITHOUT releasing the source codes along with the credits and etc.

You can compare it to stealing other people's works and adding without asking permission.

Most of what dingoo has nowadays came from this community.

You really should have bought a Dingoo A320, since no devs will work on the A380 until they release the sources/credits.

Lukianox (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
Yeah. I should have go with the A320. But I became aware of the whole problem with the A380 after I bought it. Guess the Dingoo A320 will be my next buy.

SONIC SHOCKER

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »
My Experience with the Dingoo A380

The Dingoo A380 can read most .dge dingux extension and neo-geo files straight out of the box  ;D

Its emulates CP1 & CPS2 Fantastically... ( and on tv output as well )

My MAIN PROBLEM is that.. "Mame4all" runs good to great on its own hand held screen only..
But it runs terrible on TV output... at least 8 times slower and i know its not the tv out module.. thats causing this.. its software.
As stated above.. CPS2 Games run great... even though these games have lager Graphics and more memory usage.

I am just wondering if the mame4all programmers forgot to test TV output?

Same goes for Snes great on little screen.. but not so good on tv out.

I AM HOPING THINGS WILL IMPROVE  ;D

But best emulation is CPS1+CPS2 Roms.

SS.

Lukianox (OP)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »
What is exactly CPS1 and CPS2? Is the old "pinball" machines?

I use a lot the GBA emulator on my 47" LED LCD TV and It works great
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:20:25 pm by Lukianox »

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »
What is exactly CPS1 and CPS2? Is the old "pinball" machines?

They are Capcom arcade games. Like "Ghouls and Ghosts", "Street Fighter 2", "Final Fight", "The Punisher", "1941", "Rockman The Power Battle", "Strider", e.t.c.

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:35:46 pm »

You'd better have a lot of hope.  ::)

They probably won't release the sources. If they don't, devs won't work on it. And i expect that DT won't be improving anything on their own.

SONIC SHOCKER

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

You'd better have a lot of hope.  ::)

They probably won't release the sources. If they don't, devs won't work on it. And i expect that DT won't be improving anything on their own.

:o
...Well if they don't i can just live off the Dingux converted games + software.

bigdavebear

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:08:08 am »
I dont really see the not giving credit as being a major problem.

I think the whole problem is the lack of open source/ness of the device.

The Dingoo A320 had a very open source nature and so got a lot of support, a lot of people liked that, a lot of ports had been made and many people own the Dingoo A320.

Because it was such a handy device and cheap, it got a good hold on the market and newer devices such as the A330's could not take off because they had some bugs, and people would rather take a punt on or stick with the A320 that had less bugs and had fixes for such stuff.

The A380 has potential, but that potential is not going to be used or met, untill the company behind them release the SDK and Source Codes etc, so then the comunity can start to fiddle with it, look at what makes their emus work and improve and tweak them.

The A380 in its own right is a better system, but then again the Beta Max was better than JVC VHS.

I for one like the case and build quality of the A380, the Hardware is better (if Dingoo A320s was 500Mhz and had double the Ram the options we would get would be great). But sadly its the software and dev side that holds it back, thats not the buyers fault, its not the community's fault.

It comes down to DT Company simple as!

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:37 pm »
The Dingoo A320 had a very open source nature and so got a lot of support, a lot of people liked that, a lot of ports had been made and many people own the Dingoo A320.

The A380 has potential, but that potential is not going to be used or met, untill the company behind them release the SDK and Source Codes etc, so then the comunity can start to fiddle with it, look at what makes their emus work and improve and tweak them.

The A320 was just as closed, or even more closed, than the A380 when it was released.
The SDK for the A380 is already released, but I don't think they'll release any sources.
Personally I don't have neither an A380 nor time to do anything for it.

KingdomHearts2

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:33 am »
Hey could someone help me I want to buy the a380 but I don't want to get ripped off.

People keep talking about the a320 but shouldn't the a380 be better it is a later model.

(Btw I am not planning on hacking it.)

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 03:41:29 am »
The A380 is an unsupported, unrefined, buggy mess.

Being a later model doesn't necessarily make something better.

Alien Grey

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »
The A380 is an unsupported, unrefined, buggy mess.

Being a later model doesn't necessarily make something better.

I agree with that. The hardware is better but the firmware has many issues.

The GB games run to fast. The GBA games suffer from slowdowns and the audio is bad. Changing brightness doesn't work for every emulator. The question is does every emulator needs his own brightness setting? Wouldn't it be better to have one that actually works for everything?

There's no actual Neo-Geo emulator and to run the Neo-Geo games you've got to convert them to fba. There's no information or official converter available from DT to do that. After a lot of trial and error, with a converter that I've found somewhere else, I've got most of the games running but I can understand that this isn't the case for everyone else.

I'm still looking to try to find out how to run the Atari LynX games on my Dingoo A380. This is also something that they make you believe is possible with the Dingoo A380 but isn't available.

I can only hope that one day it's going to be possible to use Open Dingux on my Dingoo A380, because I think that there won't be many firmware or emulator improvements by DT.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

Post a new topic