Author Topic: Dingoo A380 can't boot Neo-Geo games  (Read 11992 times)

FlyingBurrito76

Dingoo A380 can't boot Neo-Geo games
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »
Hi! I apologize in advance if this runs long, I've got a bunch of questions and this seems to be the best place to ask.

I recently got an A-380, final retail unit, latest firmware (yes, another buyer who purchased unaware of the various issues surrounding the 380) and I'm having no luck getting Neo-Geo games to boot.

I've run SNES, GBA, GB, GEN, and CPS1 roms from the on-board memory and the Micro SD with no problem, so the unit is working in that respect, and I've done some pretty tireless research for the past 48 hours turning up next to no information about the idiosyncrasies of how the A-380 runs Neo-Geo games other than a few threads on a few places that indicate that it's not the same way that Neo-Geo games run on an A-320.

I have Neo-Geo roms from the original MAME set in ZIP format containing the original BIN files, those don't work (not recognized by the A-380)

I've converted those files to MVS and those don't work (not recognized by the A-380)

I downloaded a set of MVS extension roms that was verified as compatible with the A-320 and those don't work (not recognized by the A-380)

I've ensured that the NeoGeo.zip bios is resident in the "Games" folder of my Dingoo, but I've seen some info in places that states that it's not necessary on the A-380, can anybody confirm that it is or isn't and if it is, should I just dump that bios in the root of the "Games" folder or should it go in the "NeoGeo" folder IN the "Games" folder?

I've found a few threads online that state that Neo-Geo roms need to be in FBA format on the A-380. Can anybody here confirm that is the case?

If so, would anybody who has done so mind sharing some step-by-step instructions on how to convert existing MVS or MAME style ZIP Neo-Geo roms into an FBA format that works on the A-380?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give!

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: Dingoo A380 can't boot Neo-Geo games
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:38:02 pm »
The A380 uses the Dingux version of FBA. As far as I'm aware, it's not 100% necessary to convert roms to the .FBA format though it supposedly helps with performance.

I would start reading the FBA for Dingux threads here and apply the same methods. Try converting some roms to the .FBA extension and see what happens.

FlyingBurrito76

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »
Will do,

Thanks Frank!

Would you happen to have a link to any thread on site that has a discussion/how-to/walk through for that?

(Also, if anybody else has any more insight, please don't hesitate to share!)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:54:12 pm by FlyingBurrito76 »

FlyingBurrito76

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:23:29 pm »
Fantastic!

The command line conversion tool to make MAME zip versions of Neo-Geo roms into FBA files worked perfectly! (Though the fact that you need to go file by file is going to be time consuming.)

Thanks again for your help Frank!

SONIC SHOCKER

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:05:55 am »
Neo-Geo Roms have to be in .FBA format to boot on the A380

.MVS file format is NOT used anymore..

You will need to download the FBA file converter "fbacacheas.bat" as just renaming them wont work.. Once converted..
you can put your Neo-Geo roms in .fba format anywhere.. and they will boot as 'Final Burn Alpha' is Built into the dingoo A380

( No need to install FBA )  ;D

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:11:22 am by SONIC SHOCKER »

FlyingBurrito76

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 01:29:47 pm »
Thanks. Works great. Hopefully somebody with a 380 will come across this thread and it'll help them not want to pitch the thing out the window like I was on the verge of doing!

The hardest work in the process is using the fbacache program in command line and having to do each file one by one as it won't batch the job with a *.zip or *.* command.

Did anybody ever make a GUI/drag&drop version of the fbacache program? I found a BAT file version but it wouldn't work despite the files all being in the correct place.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:57:54 pm by FlyingBurrito76 »

SONIC SHOCKER

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 03:34:58 am »
Glad i could help...   ;)

i was also alone on this find.. But i was lucky enough to find this out myself.

PS, i know how to get 'scummVM' working also on the A380 if anyone is interested ????

Pottzman

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 04:34:06 am »
could someone just give bit more of a detailed explanation. I have converted all the mame 144 neogeo roms into fba using fbacache program but they still dont work. i have a batch file that will batch convert all roms in a directory if you need it

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 08:26:25 am »
you need to put neogeo bios in the roms folder during conversion.

Pottzman

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 10:44:47 am »
yes thankyou there was more to it than just that tho. certain files that were no longer needed to run the games in mame had been removed from the rom sets. just a case of finding the files and adding them to the rom zips then use fbacache. I only had 1 rom that stil will not work but thats ok i guess.

ps. this is the batch file i was talking about. I take no credit because it was created by someone else for mame CHD updating but alas I can not remember who however some of the code was not needed for this situation so I modified it to suit. just drop it in the folder with fbacache.exe and have all the roms you wish to convert in a folder called roms. double click and presto.

pss. cannot upload .cmd files. oh well create a text file in notepad with the following and rename it to "whateveryouwish".cmd
Code: [Select]
@echo off
set dir=.\roms
set exe=.\fbacache.exe
for /F %%a in ('dir /b %dir%^|find /v "_ReadMe_.txt"') DO (
for /F %%b in ('dir /b "%dir%\%%a"') do (
      echo Converting: %%b
      "%exe%" -d "%dir%\%%a\%%b"
   )
)

cheers

akze

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:56:10 am »
I guys first post here :)

I received my A-380 2 days ago  8)

On the official Dingoo Technology's site  ---> http://www.dingoo.hk/en_main.asp

In the /Service/Download there is a A380 Neogeo Conversion Tool (Win32) . Posted on 2012-01-10

Unzip, put your roms in the "roms" folder and launch "fbacache.bat". It will start to convert all roms in .fba format.

I've just tried it with "Metal Slug X" and it worked perfectly.

Enjoy  ;D

Alien Grey

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 12:24:21 pm »
I guys first post here :)

I received my A-380 2 days ago  8)

On the official Dingoo Technology's site  ---> http://www.dingoo.hk/en_main.asp

In the /Service/Download there is a A380 Neogeo Conversion Tool (Win32) . Posted on 2012-01-10

Unzip, put your roms in the "roms" folder and launch "fbacache.bat". It will start to convert all roms in .fba format.

I've just tried it with "Metal Slug X" and it worked perfectly.

Enjoy  ;D

I'll give it a try. There are a few ROMs that I still can't get to run on my Dingoo A380. Maybe with the DT conversion tool it might work.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

Alien Grey

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:05:10 pm »
It looks like I've found a way to use ZIP format so we don't have to convert them anymore to FBA.

Partition 2

/local/dmenu/themes/ipen_en

Add .zip to Selectformat.

SubMenuItem neogeo
        {
            Icon = "/usr/local/dmenu/themes/ipen/res/more.png"
            Name = "NEOGEO"
            Executable = "./nxu.dge"
            WorkDir = "/boot/game/fba"
            Selector = true
            SelectorDir = "/mnt/memory/game/neogeo/"
Selectformat = ".zip .fba"
Freq = 432

If I'm right this should enable ZIP support for NEOGEO and when that is possible it should also be possible to enable FBA support for CPS1.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:08:16 pm by Alien Grey »
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

cypresstwist

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:34 am »
It looks like I've found a way to use ZIP format so we don't have to convert them anymore to FBA.

Partition 2

/local/dmenu/themes/ipen_en

Add .zip to Selectformat.

SubMenuItem neogeo
        {
            Icon = "/usr/local/dmenu/themes/ipen/res/more.png"
            Name = "NEOGEO"
            Executable = "./nxu.dge"
            WorkDir = "/boot/game/fba"
            Selector = true
            SelectorDir = "/mnt/memory/game/neogeo/"
Selectformat = ".zip .fba"
Freq = 432

If I'm right this should enable ZIP support for NEOGEO and when that is possible it should also be possible to enable FBA support for CPS1.  ;D

I believe this only enables the menu to ?see? ZIP files listed by the NEOGEO sub-entry. The files won't run though.
Dingoo A380, 8GB MicroSD card inside

Alien Grey

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:57:36 pm »
I believe this only enables the menu to ?see? ZIP files listed by the NEOGEO sub-entry. The files won't run though.

I don't know if it's going to work but maybe it's possible to use zip files and put the neogeo.zip with the ROMs.

Captain Fury

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »
I'm trying to work out how to play Neo Geo games and a way to convert them on the A320E. I've followed the link given but can't seem to find any converters that work on my Mac (difficult I know). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post a new topic
Post a new topic