• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Can I switch the battery from an A380 to an A320??  (Read 6644 times)

hiredgun (OP)

Can I switch the battery from an A380 to an A320??
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:06 pm »
The title pretty much says it all folks, unfortunately I now have ZERO Dingoos to use! I was active in this forum until I broke  the screen on my A380 trying to fix a faulty D-pad. Now unfortunately the battery on my A320 went deader than a door nail on me and I can't use that either. It won't charge or even come on when I plug it into the PC. The people in the A320 forum said it must be a dead battery! But, since I didn't throw my A380 out and the battery still works on it perfectly,  as I charged it this morning just to see, I was wondering if I could just take it out and stick it in the A320? I have looked at the specs on the net and they seem very close but I don't know enough about electronics to know if it's close enough. I have a buddy who could do the mod for me, but I want to make sure it will even work before asking him. Here are the specs taken from the net, if anyone can confirm for me that the switch will work I'd be very appreciative as I'd like to have at least ONE working Dingo. Thanks in advance ;D Vin.

Dingoo A380 Battery: 1700mah Lithium Ion Battery

Dingoo A320 Battery 3.7V 1700-1800 mAH (6.29WH)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:40:37 pm by hiredgun »

fosamax

Re: Can I switch the battery from an A380 to an A320??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »
You can for sure use a spare battery even as long as it's the same voltage. I don't know about the a380's battery but maybe you could check by opening the case as the specification could eventually be printed on it.

You don't have to worry about the number of mAH. The bigger it is the more battery life you will get.

The only trouble is that the A380's battery could be bigger in physical size and thus could perhaps not be fitted inside the A320's case. Anyway I would at least try to be sure the trouble is battery related.

If you can, it's possible to buy spare battery for a320 on deal xtrem :

http://dx.com/p/3-7v-1700mah-replacement-battery-pack-for-dingoo-a-320-30995

As you can see, installation is just a matter of soldering two wires. If you can't solder, electric tape or heat shrink tubing can do the job :

http://dx.com/p/1m-black-heat-shrink-tubing-five-size-pack-0-8-1-5-2-5-3-5-4-5mm-23450

Happy DIY !

spider2k

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »
Wanna sell the broken 380?

hiredgun (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »
Wanna sell the broken 380?

I'll give it to you if the battery  change works, lol. Thanks for the tip fosamax, that was one of the most informative posts I have read, you really went the extra mile on that one!

spider2k

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »
Well I'm in the states so at least let me pay shipping plus the cost of that battery from DX.

hiredgun (OP)

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:08 pm »
Well I'm in the states so at least let me pay shipping plus the cost of that battery from DX.

Lol, I used to be in the States too, Cali to be precise!  I'll tell you what, doesn't seem like a fair deal to you having to pay for the shipping AND the new battery in exchange for a A380 with a broken screen, so let me see if my buddy  can use the battery we already have and then we can work something out for the rest of the A380. I'll call him this afternoon and keep you posted, Vin.

fosamax

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »
hiredgun, before attempting the fix you should take a look at that old thread :

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/broken-dingoo-white-screen-of-death-after-fall/msg34854/#msg34854

The component shown in the pic is a surface mount 4.7 microhenry inductor. It can easily be broken by removing the faulty battery, so take care.

It could also be already broken, which could be another way to explain why your dingoo is broken.

Some people managed to fix it by shortening the coil but your dingoo might get unstable when overclocking.

I guess you could eventually find replacement part in old radio receiver or something similar but the best may be to avoid any damage on it.

EDIT : those can be bought from ebay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370879560256?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D370879560256%26_rdc%3D1

Good luck !
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:06:41 pm by fosamax »

spider2k

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:30 pm »
You can get coils from WWW.digikey.com also.

fosamax

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:45:26 pm »
Didn't know about digikey. Their part list is really impressive but I'm not sure if that's a good choice for people living in Europe (import duties and shipping cost) ?

hiredgun (OP)

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 09:57:59 pm »
One again I appreciate your in depth response once again fosamax, but that it the  crazy thing about all this, I didnt' drop the dingoo at all, in fact, nothing weird happened to it!!! I was actually just PLAYING with my Dingoo A320 for about a half and hour when it turned itself off in my hands and no matter what I try I can't get it to turn on again!  I wasn't upgrading firmware, installing dingux, or even transferring files from the PC! It didnt' fall either, it just went dead in my hands!!  I was just playing with the thing and the screen turned off in my hands! I have tried 5 different wall chargers and it does nothing, no charging screen, no usb screen, nothing! I have plugged it into two different PC's,  one with XP and one with Vista and nothing either, neither computer recognizes it and the Dingoo screen does  nothing! I have tried to hit the reset button several times and nothing either, no reaction at all. That's why the folks at the Dingoo A320 forum thought it was just a dead battery.  I'll alert the guy who said he'd try and swap the batteries next week for me about the coil thing just the same. Thanks bro, I'll keep you guys posted! Vin.

spider2k

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:51 pm »
If he isn't able to do it for you just let me know. I'll be glad to swap the battery and coil if needed on my dime if you send it with the 380. I'm always tinkering with something whether its an AR15 or a random broken laptop someone brings to work.

hiredgun (OP)

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 11:18:20 pm »
If he isn't able to do it for you just let me know. I'll be glad to swap the battery and coil if needed on my dime if you send it with the 380. I'm always tinkering with something whether its an AR15 or a random broken laptop someone brings to work.

Lol, then we'd make a good team because I always have something broken around here, lol. I'll let you know if he can do it or not bro, and I will certainly take you up on that offer if he can't, but I must insist that the 380 screen is totally trashed! I just want you to know what you are getting. It does still light up and you can even see the dingoo logo, or the charging symbol, but it's totally unplayable believe me. All sorts of lines running through it and part of it is black. I must have pressed too darn hard when I was closing it and smashed it some how. Like I said, always something broken around here.  Unless you plan on swapping the screen yourself I'm afraid it's only good for spare parts! Just so you know bro, Vin.

spider2k

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:19:10 pm »
That's my intent. Just swap the LCD at some point.

hiredgun (OP)

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:40:48 am »
I will keep you posted as to how this goes. I called my pal and he said he could come by next week to pick both consoles up. The big question now is if  the A380 battery will fit inside the A320!! If so I will just send you what's left of the A380 as I don't even think it will weigh much without the battery so postage should be minimal. If not, I will send you both and we'll work something out that is fair for us both! Vin.