Author Topic: PocketSNES port v1.2 - For Native Firmware  (Read 25327 times)

Reesy (OP)

PocketSNES port v1.2 - For Native Firmware
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
I've ported PocketSNES to the native Dingoo firmware.  Downloads are below

http://reesy.gp32x.de/DINGOO/pocketsnes_v1.2.zip
1.2 source will be uploaded tomorrow

http://reesy.gp32x.de/DINGOO/pocketsnes_v1.1.zip
http://reesy.gp32x.de/DINGOO/pocketsnes_v1.1_src.zip

Usual installation stuff, remove other SNES emulators and copy contents of ZIP to GAME directory blah blah blah.  If you get stuck just ask here and someone will help you.

Note: PocketSNES now uses a sub directory in the GAME directory called pocketsnes.  This will hold the PNG files used for the menu system, it will also hold your save state files.  SRAM files are saved to the same directory as the current ROM is located.  If you have any existing save states you'll need to manually move them into the PocketSnes folder in order to use them again in v1.2.

Later
Reesy

Updated 02/01/2010
V1.1 fixes issue with sound rates
Linux port also added to source code which include SDL port details

Update 04/01/2010
V1.2 fixes issue with SRAM saves
Graphical preview now added to save state menu
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:26:46 pm by Reesy »

fenixt

Re: PocketSNES port v1 - For Native Firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:40:01 pm »
Man, this sh!t is sweet! My new default emulator! I played the first level of Mario World and a little of Chrono trigger and its a definite improvement over the native. I like that it uses the full screen as well. Nice menu, too! No complaints!

Oh, one thing.. it's not recognizing my saves from those games?

Kassad

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »
wicked , works great for first release and for native firmware  :o

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »
Great work! :)
And great looking menu!

A minor bug in the menu: You can't increase the sound rate. Decreasing with dpad left works but pressing dpad right just takes you to load state / save state / delete state

Shin-NiL

• Shin-NiL's Personal Web Page (Brazilian Portuguese)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:16:13 am »
Really a great work!

Thank you very much :)

flatmush

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:53:40 am »
Wow, this has been needed for a long time. Thanks!

It's pretty impressive that it runs mario kart at a reasonable speed (at 430MHz).

samir

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:08:11 am »
Thanks reesy!! You are the king of the world!! Karma for you!  ;D

Solstice

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:16:41 am »
AWESOME!!! Great work
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:45:21 am »
Wow, this has been needed for a long time. Thanks!

It's pretty impressive that it runs mario kart at a reasonable speed (at 430MHz).

I retract my last statement. I was running the old sfc...I forgot to delete it. This runs great really really really nice!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:01:24 am by qbertaddict »

clach04

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:32:52 am »
Nice job! Karma to you :)

Super Pang is playable with frameskip 1! ;) I know you can use CPS emu for Pang but Pang is one of my benchmarks for speed of snes emu, it wasn't playable with the provided SFC.sim. Actually I'd given up on SNES under native, this changes that.

I very quickly scanned the source code, it looks like it uses SML in native. Do you have an SDL port for PocketSNES too?

thekorean12

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:11:49 am »
Yes! Thank you very much, keep up the good work!

Reesy (OP)

Re: PocketSNES port v1.1 - For Native Firmware
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »
Thanks for everyone's messages.  V1.1 is now available which fixes the issue with the sound rate menu bug.

Again big thanks to Flatmush and Harteex for working on the Dingoo SDK, I'd almost given up hope on being able to write anything useful for the Dingoo.  Your SDK is excellent and I really appreciate the time and effort you guys have put into it. 

@clach04:  If you look at the v1.1 source code, I've included the Linux port which uses SDL.  It shouldn't take too much effort to merge this with the Dingoo SML wrapper to create a wrapper for SDL.

@fenixt:  All of the SRAM saves and save states are going into A:\GAME at the moment, I think the offical emulator may have been storing things in the same directory as the rom is located.  I could change the emulator to work in the same way?  What does everyone think?

Pingouin

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »
Thanks Reesy, I haven't booted in native in a while, but I'll have to try this ;D

fenixt

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 02:09:25 pm »
I could change the emulator to work in the same way?  What does everyone think?

I think it would be great if you could do that.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:12:12 pm by fenixt »

zear

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »
@Reesy
Ever thought of porting it to Dingux?
I don't use native firmware anymore and I'd still love to check PocketSNES out.

Reesy (OP)

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 03:35:09 pm »
I don't use Dingux, I tried it but just found it a hassle.  The audio on the official SNES emulator is rubbish which is why I needed to port PocketSnes to the native firmware.  I usually only code out of necessity.

Anyway Dingux already has Snes9x4D, which is most likely based on the same base code as PocketSnes.  I'd be surprised if they performed differently.  I believe Snes9x4D also has a lot more of the normal Snes9x functionality enabled than PocketSnes so you are probably better off using Snes9x4D over PocketSnes anyway ;).

@fenixt: 1 more vote and I'll change the way it works :)

onthebridge

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »
This is such a great and unexpected release!

Thank you for this.

I have done a bit of testing and i've found one bug. After playing some games during 3 or 4 minutes, suddenly the image becomes totally distorted. This is my experience so far in Ghouls and ghost and in Super Mario All Star.

Also, this is very impressive for a first version, but ... are you gonna improve it a bit more?

Thanks again man!

campusten

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 07:35:29 pm »
Wow, thanks Reesy! This is the first a320 emulator (native or Dingux) that I've tried where Mario Kart runs at a playable speed.  It also might be my imagination, but it also seems to run Mario RPG faster than snes9x4D.  It also plays Mario All Stars well.  I don't use native much for emulators (except for GBA), but this will probably become my new snes emulator of choice.

clach04

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 07:36:30 pm »
Thanks for everyone's messages.  V1.1 is now available which fixes the issue with the sound rate menu bug.

Again big thanks to Flatmush and Harteex for working on the Dingoo SDK, I'd almost given up hope on being able to write anything useful for the Dingoo.  Your SDK is excellent and I really appreciate the time and effort you guys have put into it. 

@clach04:  If you look at the v1.1 source code, I've included the Linux port which uses SDL.  It shouldn't take too much effort to merge this with the Dingoo SML wrapper to create a wrapper for SDL.

Nice! If someone really wants a Dingux port, making an SDL (for Dingoo) port would be the ideal way to do this. SDL under Native is awesome and makes developing much easier, and it is available under Dingux/OpenDingux too.

@fenixt:  All of the SRAM saves and save states are going into A:\GAME at the moment, I think the offical emulator may have been storing things in the same directory as the rom is located.  I could change the emulator to work in the same way?  What does everyone think?

OhBoy dumps saves into a "saves" directory where the app lives, however this is configurable (via text editing an .rc file) so it is possible to have the saves in the same location as the roms (or any other arbitrary location). I know it is a lot more hassle but making this configurable may be the best option here?

RE location of files, could the resource fies (png) be moved into in a sub directory? As you have a reset option, what about adding ROM/browsing loading too (and make it a .app)?

Reesy (OP)

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:40 pm »
.app is a good idea, I could add Zip support then.  Since you've fixed the opendir stuff in the SDK it shouldn't be too much work to add a rom brower...thanks ;)

Post a new topic
Post a new topic