• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Dooom - A Doom port for the Dingoo Native OS  (Read 48065 times)

the_wub (OP)

Re: Dooom - A Doom port for the Dingoo Native OS
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »
I must confess I've never really tried using modded wads before but I have managed to get Aliens TC working under Chocolate Doom for win32 this week just to see how it works.  Seriously impressive stuff, way better than I was expecting!

It shouldn't be a major hassle to get this working in Dooom, so I'll try and add it for the next release.  I've been a bit distracted lately as I managed to get CaSTaway working on Native a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing with that since! :)

More Soon,

wub.

edit:

I've been adding back the dehacked support for modded wads and am hopefully not far off getting something working, just sorting out a problem with the merging process.  The good news is the weird enemy behaviour was being caused by the removal of the dehacked stuff so this is fixed now, all the demos play back perfectly which is really nice to see!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:16:29 pm by the_wub »

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 03:05:32 pm »
I've uploaded version 0.8 to the OpenHandhelds archive, it should be available any time now.  Check the original post or the readme1st.txt for full instructions on getting it working!

So far I've tested Aliens TC, Batman and Zombie but anything that works with Chocolate Doom should work now plus maybe a few more as the vanilla limits have been removed.  I'd be interested to know if anything that should work doesn't! 

I'll release the source later this weekend when I've finished tidying up all the changes.

Losk

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 08:11:16 am »
This keeps getting better and better!! Awesome work - thanks a lot!!  :)

samir

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:17 am »
. Where I can found the 0.8 binary? The Link in the first post is for v0.7 02/06/13

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:03 pm »
I think the OpenHandhelds link is waiting for moderation still, or the original upload went wrong somehow.  I tried again on Saturday night with a new version, 0.9, and have just tried again with the 1.0 version.

I've also uploaded both the source code and binary for version 1.0 to google code, link in the first post, and they are definitely available now.

This latest build fixes quite a bit from 0.8 anyway so I hope that makes up for the delay! :)

Losk

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »
Just gave version 1.0 a try.

Unfortuantely I'm getting this:

Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon

I've made the "comline.wub" file and put 4 commandlines for TCs in there.

Any idea what went wrong?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:46:31 pm by Losk »

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:57 pm »
The program is only expecting the commands for one wad so try deleting all but the first line of your comline file and see what happens!  For the next version I'll make it so you can create a comline file for each wad and select that with the front-end menu.

Let me know if this helps! :)

I got a really fun wad called 10 Sectors working last night, it uses the doom2.wad and runs with: chocolate-doom -file 10sector.wad

10sector.wad: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=10973

Edit: I just tried All Hell is breaking loose with your command line text and it does run.. looks like there may be a bug or two lurking about in there though...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:42:25 pm by the_wub »

Losk

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:30 am »
Thanks! Tried it with the single line for the Fist Full of Dollars TC and it worked. :)  That's my fave TC. Now I need to figure out how to have the same cool western music in it like in the version that was available for the GP32.

It would be great to have a selector for various WADs again like in Dooom v0.7. Do you think that's possible?

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 08:49:35 am »
Hi Losk,

I'm really glad this is working for you! :)

Because I took the easy route of using tracker mods for the music it would take a bit of work to get custom music working, but it's not impossible..  I can make you a special build of the app that you would run after removing all the music from the music folder.  The app would create a midi file of the track for each level and a file containing the name of the track it was looking for.  You would then need to pass this midi file through OpenMPT or something similar to make an Impulse Tracker mod which you would name accordingly.  You have to do it track by track which is time consuming; this is how I was putting the music in before I gave up and just downloaded ready made midi's from doomworld! ;)

Let me know if you're up for all that and I'll put together an app for doing this.

As for the file selector, if you don't use a comline file then the menu will work as it did before with the wad selector.  I will make it so you can select comline files from the wad selector in the next version.  For the moment I've created a folder for each wad and I copy/paste things in and out of the main Dooom folder using the native os file browser tool when away from home.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Losk

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 09:12:09 am »
Thanks, I will look into this tonight and let you know.  :)

And I will try if the original GP32 Fistful wad works.

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »
I've uploaded version 1.1 to the google code page.  This version lets you put all your wads in the dooom folder with a separate command line file for each wad.  The wad selector lets you select either a wad file or a command line file and I've changed the file format of the command line files to .txt to make editing easier with notepad!

The really important bit:  You must also specify the wad needed for a total conversion or modded wad with the -iwad command line option.

So, for Aliens Total conversion I now have this:

chocolate-doom -deh atcud19.deh -merge alitcsf.wad -file alitcsnd.wad alitcwad.wad -iwad doom.wad

You can save the command line file as anything you like .txt  This is a lot easier to use now but I will have a look at getting it working with wads in separate folders with a proper savegame folder for each.

Losk

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2013, 08:00:06 am »
Cool, will give it a try soon.  :)

The GP32 wads didn't work with the 1.0 version as expected. But if I remember right they were specifically put together for GP32 and I've had no luck so far running them on any other system.

Losk

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 07:35:10 am »
Wanted to download 1.1 today and discovered there's already a version 1.2! Awesome, thanks for the continued great work!  :)

Would it be possible to do sort of 2 selectors on the start side to choose the main wad (like doom 2) and another selector for the addon wad? That would make it perfect and more comfortable to use on the go.

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 01:11:03 pm »
Would it be possible to do sort of 2 selectors on the start side to choose the main wad (like doom 2) and another selector for the addon wad? That would make it perfect and more comfortable to use on the go.

The short answer is no,  sadly :( 

If the underlying wad being used and the modded wad name were the only things needed then it would be no problem and could probably work exactly as you describe.  Unfortunately some conversions have multiple wads and some also need a dehacked file.

At least by using command line options we also get the advantage of the extra features like auto-loading a save game slot on launch etc..

I've tested quite a bit and so far the Dingoo port is behaving exactly like the windows version of Chocolate Doom.  If you have all your wads in the main folder on the PC or Dingoo then the -iwad command line option has to be used to specify the official wad needed.  I quite like the simplicity of throwing everything in one folder so I've decided to leave it like this.

Version 1.2 is only different by one line of code which is a bit crap really! :)  It changes how the save game folder is created and now does this using the name of the .wad or .txt file used to launch the game.  This means you get a full amount of save slots for each game and don't have to share with the underlying wad.  Be sure to move your saves for the official wads if you've created any as the folder name is slightly different for these too now!

There are lots of little things that could potentially be added still and I would like to come back to it in the future to have a go at midi support for the modded music but for now, aside from any new bugs cropping up, I will probably call it a day.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and support! :)

Losk

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 08:37:31 am »
Ok, the selectors thing sounds plausible.  :)

The save option is also very welcome.

Thanks a lot for all the work you've put into this!  :)

Losk

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 09:26:27 pm »

Because I took the easy route of using tracker mods for the music it would take a bit of work to get custom music working, but it's not impossible..  I can make you a special build of the app that you would run after removing all the music from the music folder.  The app would create a midi file of the track for each level and a file containing the name of the track it was looking for.  You would then need to pass this midi file through OpenMPT or something similar to make an Impulse Tracker mod which you would name accordingly.  You have to do it track by track which is time consuming; this is how I was putting the music in before I gave up and just downloaded ready made midi's from doomworld! ;)

Let me know if you're up for all that and I'll put together an app for doing this.

I've found the Western music files now: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1147

So feel free to send me that special build if you find the time. :-)

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 12:34:05 am »
Hey,

I just tried including western.wad like this:

chocolate-doom -merge fistful.wad -file fistfix.wad western.wad -iwad doom2.wad

and it added a whole load of extra sfx and music samples to the game!  Is this all that is in the wad or should there be actual music data in there as well?

Edit: From looking at the text file it would seem that there is no new music so you should be able to just turn down the Doom music in the options menu after including the extra wad.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:56:45 am by the_wub »

Losk

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »
Thanks.  :)  I haven't had the time to check it yet but either the fistful.wad or the fistfix.wad does already contain new sound fx and short music samples. The GP32 fistful.wad though had new music on top of that.

So maybe I should try to open that GP32 one with a .wad editor and see what was really in there.

And by the way - the new option to save and use the command lines as .txt files works really great! :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:31:05 am by Losk »

helloitsme

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2013, 06:49:05 pm »
Hi all, just wanted to thank the creator for this awesome emulator, it's great and I really enjoy it, kudos to you!!

the_wub (OP)

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »
Thanks helloitsme!  I'm really glad you're having fun with it! :)

@Losk  I guess I really need to have a go at porting the Timidity library!  I'll get this music ripping version made up in the meantime though..

Post a new topic