Author Topic: Encoding videos for the Dingoo  (Read 42732 times)

bigdavebear

Re: Encoding videos for the Dingoo
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 10:19:30 pm »
Thanks...

Yeah at the moment because the Dingoo uses internal memory thats nearly full with the preinstall stuff plus some games i installed, i only have a 512MB Mini Sd card.

I have loads of SD and Transflash/Micro but no adaptor :(

So i have ordered 2X4GB and 1X8GB Kingston kits that give you each a micro SD plus adaptors for mini and full sd.

How long does the battery last watching from full charge?

I have found maybe setting bitrate at 500 and res to 320 will do the job.

I have looked at a 175MB Video i convertered and the 350MB source on the Dingoo and when the dingoo is like in your lap or i.e 10-12" from eyes the quality is different but not massive compared to the filesize.

Now if the Dingoo played the main source Xvids as perfect as they would on say a PS3 (i.e less aftifacts) i would not bother converting, but as they dont play perfectly (have some mnior blockyness at times) then i may aswell downgrade them so i can get double.

For Cartoons it should be fine to reduce the video size to even less than half!

So a Movie could be compressed from 700MB to 350-400MB (half) where as a South Park/Family Guy/Simpsons could be downgraded more without much notice... so i should get cartoons that are 200MB down to 75-100 MB each and still look watchable.

I also think on some flights you can charge stuff so i may be able to keep console charged up.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 01:34:58 pm »
I notice that although xvid play fine they do get a bit blocky at times, mainly dark scenes where there is no video date i.e black.
You do not have to experiment anymore. The effect you're describing is 16 bit color (the Dingoo's screen/video chip is 16 bit color). True color is 24 bit or 32 bit. It will NOT (repeat: NOT) get any better than:
  • Re-encoding to AVI wrapping format, xvid/divx video (~ 800 kbps) with MP3 audio (128 kbps). OR:
  • Leaving your downloaded movies the way they were when you downloaded them! Expecially AVI's
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:37:02 pm by Meneer Jansen »
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

bigdavebear

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »
Hi well i tried the original file on PC with 32bit and 16 bit and i never noticed much difference if any.

I understand the screen on Dingoo is only 16bit but i dont think the videos colour uses most of the 32 bit anyway.

What i still notice is that using a original file 350MB on PC then recoded to 175MB you can notice a difference in quality, on the Dingoo that difference in quality from 640X (1000BR) 350MB compared to 320X (400BR) 175MB file is not noticed as much, simply put it seems the loss of quality of the 640 on the 320 screen compared to 320 recode on 320 screen is not much at all.

Especially Cartoons, so what i am saying is for say Cartoons for the sakes of 1.5 min per file, i can reduce its 150-200MB size to even 1/3rd and on Dingoo you cant even tell.

you can with a none cartoon but as i said above not that much, so its worth the trade off.

End of the day i wont be playing these on large tv, as we can use a phone that has tv out and 720X480 Screen for that, or i may get a Sumvision Micro 2.

I am using Handbrake because Super Video wont download.

So movies are being recoded from Xvid to MPEG 4 with AAC Track, i noticed that halving the bitrate and screen size does give me a 50% smaller file that still looks nearly as good as the original on the Dingoo.

What other programs you reconmend?

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »
Look around for a RMVB converter, and convert your videos for that format. They will play most nicely at any common rates you choose, i play my download TV Series without converting...

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:42 pm »
He's transcoding from xvid avi videos. He doesn't need a rmvb converter.

For programs, personally I use virtualdub. It can convert pretty much anything as long as you have the right codecs and plugins installed. It's mainly geared toward avi files. I don't know if you can render to the mp4 container. I'm sure there's some sort of plugin or work around out there.

So a Movie could be compressed from 700MB to 350-400MB (half) where as a South Park/Family Guy/Simpsons could be downgraded more without much notice... so i should get cartoons that are 200MB down to 75-100 MB each and still look watchable.
As I said earlier in the thread, I can get standard 22 minute cartoon episodes down to 50MB each, which look/sound fine on the Dingoo. 320x240 with 175kb video bitrate and 128kb audio bitrate.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:54:20 pm by Jesse »

hexed6

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 10:06:30 pm »
I notice that although xvid play fine they do get a bit blocky at times, mainly dark scenes where there is no video date i.e black.
You do not have to experiment anymore. The effect you're describing is 16 bit color (the Dingoo's screen/video chip is 16 bit color). True color is 24 bit or 32 bit. It will NOT (repeat: NOT) get any better than:
  • Re-encoding to AVI wrapping format, xvid/divx video (~ 800 kbps) with MP3 audio (128 kbps). OR:
  • Leaving your downloaded movies the way they were when you downloaded them! Expecially AVI's

The blocking/artifacting is due to the codec/compression, not the color depth of the Dingoo's display. You can see this with any divx/xvid/etc. Just watch a dark scene, or smoke, fog, or water. You will see what he is describing, even (especially) on a nice high def display.

bigdavebear

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »
Well i have messed about some more and found that 640X Video has more artifacts, than on a Samsung 3.5" Screen that plays Divx/Xvid, so when i play a 640X movie on that phone and then one with half the bitrate and 320X you can see the difference more between the two on the Phones Screen (it records Video at 720X480), but on the Dingoo the difference is not much at all especially with Cartoons.

So i think the slight trade off in quality, compared to getting near double the files on a card and only 2-3 minutes to re-encode means i will change videos to 320X Res and 400-500BR so i can get nearly double the videos on the card.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 03:47:38 pm »
Did you try the bitrates I suggested for 22 minute cartoon episodes? Make it a two-pass encode as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:51:41 pm by Jesse »

bigdavebear

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »
Just done a South Park at 320 RES, 175BR, 128 Audio AAC in handbrake with 2 pass.

File Size was 50MB and video looks ok, you can now notice a difference more but hey it means that you can get 3.5X the episodes on the card.

a 4GB Card would take 22 X 175MB Cartoons so i may mess about with settings to get files to 75-80MB each, that should give better quality than the 175BR video but still small file size.

My aim would be to get 700MB Movies down to 350-400MB, or 200-250MB if Cartoon

45 Min TV down from 350 to 175MB-200MB

And Cartoons down from 175MB to 75-100MB

That should do the trick then......

So i can take 2X 4GB Cards and 2X 8GB and stock them up for Movies/TV and Games so i would have plenty to keep me busy!

EDIT.....

Just used Handbrake 320/350 BR/128 AAC and file is 75MB and looks better than the 50MB and cant tell difference from the 400 and 500BR ones i made.

So i guess for Cartoons a 350BR with 128 Audio is the best overall setting i got so far, for Movies/TV i may stick with 450BR.

Cheers for Help Jesse ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:21:41 pm by bigdavebear »

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »
Yeah 175/128 is acceptable to me, and it's nice and even with 50MB per 22 minute episode. I pick out my 10 favorite episodes for each series (20 if they're 11 minute episodes). Get two cartoon shows per GB. And I got one 16 GB card with 8GB left for shows, and another 8 GB card that I'll probably be using for the same thing eventually. So far I've done it for Rocko's Modern Life, Freakazoid, and Home Movies. Johnny Bravo is next. ;) I also have a handful of live action shows. I hope I don't have to make them too much bigger to make them acceptable. If I have to, I'll just use all the space for my fav cartoons ;).

By the way, you are cutting out the end credits and other useless stuff yeah?

Also, you may want to try something even lower for the audio bitrate, especially with aac and if you are only going to use them on the Dingoo. Try 112kb and see if you can tell the difference and go from there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:27:37 pm by Jesse »

bigdavebear

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »
Cheers will try ;)

I will be looking to do the first 10-12 He-Han, Thundercats and also do some Simpsons, Family guy and others so i got good choice.

The Plane usually has good choice anyway.

Another Question is regarding Battery Length, roughly from Fully Charged how long would a Dingoo last for playing back Movies if i have it set to 3/66% Brightness, using headphones.

I was thinking of getting one of those USB chargers that you place AAA batteries into and it charges any device that charges via USB (in case Battery goes flat).

Also what size SD Cards can a Dingoo go upto? I was thinking of getting 2X4GB and 2X8GB (micro/TF with the Mini Adaptor).

I am also thinking of getting a 2nd Dingoo but a white one this week.

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »
I may try using aac and lowering the audio bitrate myself. But that's a lot of videos to re-encode. I might do it. Maybe... *sniff*... maybe.

I actually use the lowest brightness setting in native. How can you stand having it any higher? :P

Some Dingoos have smaller batteries than others. But either way I have no idea how long it would last from just watching videos at your brightness setting. There's only one way you can be sure. ;)

Well I know at least 16GB cards work. I think any size card should work, but I don't really know. It would suck to buy a $60 32GB card only to have it not work on the Dingoo for some reason. :( But if you are only getting 4/8 GB ones then you have nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:58:00 pm by Jesse »

bigdavebear

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:03 pm »
Yeah i think my aim would be to have  2 Cards for Emulation/Homebrew and Ports (inc Dingux on each)

Then 2 Cards one for TV/Cartoons and other for Movies.

flatmush

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:50 am »
More than one card is way too much effort and un-necessary, I just stick with my 2GiB card and the 4GiB internal flash. It can fit more than enough films/roms/games on it to entertain me and leave room for development stuff.

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:11 pm »
More than one card is way too much effort and un-necessary, I just stick with my 2GiB card and the 4GiB internal flash. It can fit more than enough films/roms/games on it to entertain me and leave room for development stuff.

Lol, too much effort? Oookay.

Maybe 6GB is enough for you, but not for me. Even though I barely use the thing, I feel the need to keep every NES, SNES, GB/C, Megadrive, SMS, Gamegear, Atari, and Lynx games on it. Also dozens and dozens of GBA and arcade games. Plus most of the various ports and games like Doom. And a selection of MP3s and videos. I'm using around 14GB total at the moment. :P
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:01:23 pm by Jesse »

bigdavebear

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »
Well i have 3X 8GB Cards...

One will be for Movies and TV etc, i find reducing a 700MB file to 350-400, depending on movie (i.e if a dark film then 400, if a animated etc then 350) TV shows from 350MB to 175-200, and Cartoons etc 175MB down to 75-100MB seem to give me decent enough quality.

a 8GB Card can hold about 16 hours video (620-640X res 900-1000 VBR) which is average Xvid/Divx quality.

So if i recode then videos i can then get 32-35 hours on a card.

As for CPS1, SNES, NES, SMD, SMS/GG, PCE they dont take up much space.

GBA/CPS2/MVS take up the most.

One Card will have ports on such as Doom and its mods, and also Open BOR etc....

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 03:40:45 am »
Since my personal rips and most of the rips you find are already encoded with MP3, it would be a poor thing to transcode them to AAC. For a bit I was wondering why this 112kb MP3 transcode was sounding much better than this 112kb AAC transcode, and that's why. Pay attention to what the original file was compressed with.

I tried using an average video bitrate of 350 like you did, dave. You can clearly see the difference if you blow up the image, but if you leave it at it's intended size then I see little point in going above 175~225. The amount of quality gained doesn't justify the amount of space used. Especially for those very simple, very low motion cartoons where 175 already looks nearly pristine. Obviously more detailed, higher motion cartoons will need to be higher. But I haven't had that problem yet. I don't see how the typical South Park episode could require that much space. Isn't that what you tested with? South Park? Maybe it has something to do with me using Cartoon Mode with Xvid?

To repeat, for simple looking cartoons I use 320x240 two pass MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid) at the default settings (except Cartoon Mode is enabled) with an average video bitrate of 175kb and 128kb CBR MP3 audio in an AVI container.

Also, I am now using avidemux instead of virtualdub for my transcoding. It seems to do everything I used virtualdub for; plus you can render to other containers beside AVI without mods and experimental builds and command line BS. Seems simpler.

So concludes another annoying newbie video encoding ramble in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:38:44 am by Jesse »

bigdavebear

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 01:32:46 pm »
Well what do you reconmend...

As Super @ does not install i get cant download files error when running set up, so i got 2 older versions and they dont look that simple as far as lay out and options (handbrake is easier) and when i click encode the program exits.

Only Problem i have with Handbrake is it only has X264 or MPEG4 as codecs with extentions m4v/mp4.

The other one is i use the default audio setting which outputs to AAC just ajust bitrate, as i i select Mp3 i get no sound at all.

Other programs i have tried are slow, PSP Video, AVS Video Converter all take like 30 mins+ to encode a 350MB 640X (900BR) Video down to 320X (300BR/ or 175MB) where as Handbrake takes about 3 mins if that.

As far as Movies go i intend to not shrink movies that have dark scenes as much, but shrink ones with light more as compression is not as noticable on light scenes.

For Cartoons as you said a  Family Guy/Simpsons/South Park have not much detail (the Drawings are not hard to do and colours not vibrant) so they can get reduced to like 60MB and look ok, but some with more detail in them like say the new He-Men or say detail the Latter Disneys have i would shrink to 75MB

What Program do you reconmend thats also fast!

Azm0deus

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 11:27:09 pm »
Someone already did mention Format Factory. I tested it and it is ok. Give it a try.

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 01:05:41 am »
What Program do you reconmend thats also fast!

Did you try the one I recently mentioned? Avidemux?