Author Topic: Dingoo on CM8833-II Monitor! (my old Amiga CRT)  (Read 11886 times)

Fatboy

Dingoo on CM8833-II Monitor! (my old Amiga CRT)
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »
Hi!,
    Just connected my Dingoo to my old Amiga monitor via composite connection...and BOY!!! what a difference.

The picture quality is far superior than when connecting to a TV via SCART. Games look almost as good as orginal arcade versions now.

I now have screen sizing control and a much brigher output than before.

Also video playback (PSP fromat works best for me on my Dingoo) seems to de-block and come out much sharper.

I hope someone gets Dinxus to O/P on screen some time...that would just be the icing on the cack.

Just seen that TV output is now working on DINGUX???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:06:23 pm by Fatboy »

santino

Re: Dingoo on CM8833-II Monitor! (my old Amiga CRT)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:37:17 pm »
Yes tvout works on dingux now, but only at standard clock 336mhz.

Nhut

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »
How did you connect your Dingoo with SCART on a normal TV? With this I suppose.

Even if it uses the same plug as RGB, the signal is still only composite.

And you claim to have got a better picture on an old Amiga monitor with the same signal?

Looks like picture quality is better on an old compouter monitor than on a normal TV. I demand pictures for proof :)

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:25:10 pm »
Old computer monitors (Commodore/Amiga) are RGB & offer a superior picture quality to anything that is around now (component, s-video etc). The resolution isn't as high as monitors of this era but for old school gaming, that's PERFECT.

Just as CRT monitors offer a much superior picture quality than LCD's.

The monitor world is working backwards. Size & weight is decreasing yet with it so is picture quality.

Chris23235

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:51 pm »
I agree, that old 16 Bit games look significantly better on CRT Monitors than on LCDs TVs, cause that's the way they were designed to be played. Arcade games benefit from CRT Monitors too.
But Nhut is right, the signal, the monitor gets from the Dingoo is no RGB signal. Nonetheless, cause a Philips CRT Monitor produces a better picture, than the average CRT TV, I can imagine, that many games (not all, definitely not VCS 2600 or other 8 Bit console games, that were designed to be played on a CRT TV from the early 80s) will look better.
Definitely every CRT is superior to an LCD when it comes to displaying 8 and 16 Bit games, at least, if you don't have the hardware capacity to work with ressource hungry filters like the CRT simulator in Stella.

If you are interested in this topic, Ian Bogost documented the work of his students on their CRT simulator for Stella, you can read it here, he explains some reasons, why old games look so different, many times inferior on modern LCDs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:34:03 pm by Chris23235 »

Fatboy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:26:53 pm »

Even if it uses the same plug as RGB, the signal is still only composite.

And you claim to have got a better picture on an old Amiga monitor with the same signal?

Looks like picture quality is better on an old compouter monitor than on a normal TV. I demand pictures for proof :)

Hi!,
    I'm basing my opinion that previous to using the CRT monitor (composite) I had my Dingoo attached to a 14" portable TV via the SCART adaptor & my 42" Plasma via composite...neither gave as nice and clear an image as the Phillips monitor.

These old classic arcade games where desgined to run on CRT monitors in Arcade cabinets. I had a M.A.M.E cab with an old Dell 17" CRT and it was superior to running M.A.M.E (and such like) on my current 17" TFT PC set-up.

I am planing to make a new upright CAB later in the year and will be using a 17" or 19" second hand CRT monitor.

I think it's more about the luminance levels and the fact its an electron beam? As for photo evidence, I have tried but as its at a 15khz signal (same as UK TV) my digital camera picks up the scanlines  :(

Trust me it REALLY does look better than my two other options 8)

Tetsuoo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:34 pm »
I demand proof. Pictures.
I agree with Nhut, Amiga monitors are not supposed to accept composite signals.

xdpirate

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:21:47 am »
http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/CRTvsLCD.htm

In terms of colors, CRT monitors are superior to LCD monitors.

For more CRT vs LCD trolling, visit /g/.

Nhut

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:56:58 pm »
Did I mention LCD TV anywhere?

I just wanted to compare pictures of an Amiga computer with pictures of a normal (= cathodic tube) TV.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:59:35 pm by Nhut »

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:31 pm »
Thx for your information, I pluged Dingoo on my Amiga 1084-P monitor and work?s fine, better than TV via Scart. thank you I've remembered the RGB conexion of my Amiga 500.

Post a new topic