Author Topic: [tutorial] How to hardcode subtitles onto an AVI file.  (Read 33454 times)

Shred (OP)

[tutorial] How to hardcode subtitles onto an AVI file.
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »
Hi, I thought I would write a guide on hardcoding subtitles to a AVI file. I have a hearing loss so subtitles are essential for me, and I'm sure this will be useful for you Anime/Manga fans and those of you who are non-native speakers.

Tools needed

VirtualDUB

VirtualDub Subtitler Plugin

SRT - SSA Converter

Open VirtualDub. Select Video tab and then Filters. Then press the Add button followed by the Load button. You now want to browse to the subtitler.vdf file you downloaded earlier and finish the operation by pressing Open.

Leave VirtualDub open, as we will need it later.

The next step is converting the .srt files into something VirtualDub can read, in this case, an .ssa file.
Open up the .SRT-.SSA Converter and click on Browse to select the .srt file you want converted.
The program will create an output file with the identical name as the input file except with an .ssa extension.
Due to the small screen of the Dingoo, we need to reduce the size of the subtitle fonts. Change the Size in Font Options down to around 16.
All you have to do now is hit Convert.

(if you have SUB/IDX subtitles then you will need to find a SRT version instead - try opensubtitles.org , subscene.com or subtitlesource.org - SUB/IDX files are very difficult to convert to SRT if you don't have the original DVD VOB files handy and it's usually easier and quicker to track down a SRT version instead)

Go back to VirtualDub which should still be open.
Select the Subtitler filter and click OK.
In the Subtitler Configuration, select the .ssa subtitle file that you just created and press OK
Click OK again to go back to the main VirtualDUB screen.
Go to the Video tab and select Full Processing Mode.
Now go to File and Open Video File  and use the browse function to select the .avi file you want the subtitles hardcoded to. Press Open when you locate it.

Lastly we need to select the compression for our .avi.
Navigate once again to the Video tab and select Compression.
If your file is an XviD (most likely) then simply select XviD Mpeg-4 Codec from the list. Leave the default settings.
If your file is another type of compression select that from the list and leave the default settings.

To finish simply go to File and select Save As .avi. Save it where you want and make sure the Save as type is set to Audio-Video Interleave (*.avi).
Click Save and you are done. Grab some Tea or Coffee and wait for your .avi with hardcoded subtitles.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:18:44 am by omgmog »

strider_mt2k

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
Re: How To - Hardcode subtitles onto an AVI file.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:14:28 pm »
Nice guide, and well presented.

Karma worthy. :)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: How To - Hardcode subtitles onto an AVI file.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:28 pm »
A very nice guide Shredz :D

I edited your post with a new "loadingfilters.png" that is less wide, other than that, great stuff!

L[one]R

Re: [tutorial] How to hardcode subtitles onto an AVI file.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:37 am »
Nice tutorial, however VirtualDub itself is a pretty complicated program, especially for those who aren't that good with computers.
I too have been searching for a similar tut before and found this:
http://animeted.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/how-to-play-mkvs-and-convert-mkvs-with-subtitles-embedded/

It's not the best tutorial (for example, they tell you to download CCCP codec pack, while the best choice would be K-Lite Mega Codec Pack), but still, they have some interesting solutions. Take a look at the tutorial, especially at the ffsshow part. It worked great for me and has a lot more customisation options.

Also, take a look at the eTeSoft Video Converver v2 (NOT v1). By far this is the best interface I've seen in a media converter (and I've seen a LOT of them). Supposedly it should be able to convert with subtitles, but for some reason it didn't work for me. :/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:30:31 am by L[one]R »

Shred (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:14:46 pm »
I stay away from Codec packs because they tend to be bloatware. Less codecs = Less conflicts.
Yes VirtualDUB isn't that user friendly which is why I posted this short tutorial with screenshots.  :P

Never heard of eTeSoft Video Converver and a quick Google tells me it costs 40 bucks. Pass.

SUPER is a freeware converter that doesn't require any codecs to be installed on your machine because they are already built in. Its pretty simple to use too.
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 03:45:31 pm »
Didn't read the whole topic, but for the Linuxers amongst us: you can use Avidemux (no need to convert the srt) and re-encode to xvid.
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

cas398

• Cas's Virtual Home
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 01:39:28 am »
I use this, very simple (and similar) and easy to follow.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-add-subtitles-to-a-movie-or-television-series/
Live/PSN = CASgamer398
My Dingoo Vids

Kronus

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:56:01 pm »
This is just good and never been better than ever!

+1 

:P
"I'm happy to serve the Dingoo Community!"

stig

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 03:03:55 pm »
Good tutorial. Personally, I was doing this for some time, to get my old DVD player to show movies with subtitles, until I got a new one that reads .srt files. Now, if only some skilled homebrewer could do the same and manage to get our beloved Dingoo to show soft subs...

cas398

• Cas's Virtual Home
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:27 pm »
Good tutorial. Personally, I was doing this for some time, to get my old DVD player to show movies with subtitles, until I got a new one that reads .srt files. Now, if only some skilled homebrewer could do the same and manage to get our beloved Dingoo to show soft subs...

That's quite a good idea for Dingux actually.
Live/PSN = CASgamer398
My Dingoo Vids

archue

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »
Man, my VirtualDub keeps on crashing on me.

shanti77

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 11:13:24 am »
I use free software AviRecomp 1.5 , it works with subtitles , can crop,scale , it's simple in use.

L[one]R

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »
I take my words back about eTeSoft converter. Found another program that is much better, less buggy and is free.

Any Video Converter (yes, that's how it's called). It supports many formats, can include subtitles on the video, allows to choose audio track and has many other options. It also has a very user-friendly interface. And more importantly - the free version doesn't lack any critical features that pro version has.

I highly recommend it. http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:28:08 pm by L[one]R »

Margot

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »
Very nice guide Shred, many thanks!  :)

I vote for Sticky on this thread!
"Pawed" Dingoo A320 - 4GB A320BK*******
My Dingux Emulator Icons

kin

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:09 am »
I find it so complicated, i captured the video itself and converted it.

kin

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 03:03:43 am »
I take my words back about eTeSoft converter. Found another program that is much better, less buggy and is free.

Any Video Converter (yes, that's how it's called). It supports many formats, can include subtitles on the video, allows to choose audio track and has many other options. It also has a very user-friendly interface. And more importantly - the free version doesn't lack any critical features that pro version has.

I highly recommend it. http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

karma +1        works great with .mkv with subtitles

waverider

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 10:35:56 am »

I had ever tried a tool called Appgeeker video converter. It's worked nicely for me in the past, and has some nice features like settings for various devices (downscale to iPod resolution while you convert, etc).

http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-vob-to-mov-mac.html
i did not used it a long time, minutes ago i just google search and find a tutorial about it, check it.

cafayzieg

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:31 am »
Pretty good. Just what I need.
Nice day. More info.

wibrese

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 08:40:46 am »
It is so frustrating to watch a movie in .avi format without subtitles while you have no idea about the language of it. Or feel helpless without a useful tool when you are trying to add subtitles to AVI clips in order to get funny or other effects.

To successfully add subtitles to AVI, the following article shows a powerful Subtitles Adder and introduces a step by step guide on how to add subtitles to AVI for both Mac and Windows users.

Post a new topic