Author Topic: So, I just got a Dingoo A320 (and I own a Mac, not a PC)  (Read 4043 times)

nateshap

So, I just got a Dingoo A320 (and I own a Mac, not a PC)
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:04:24 am »
I've heard there are some issues with mac users and the emulator.  I have a few questions:

How do I update to firmware 1.22 with mac?  I've only found pc versions.
As someone with little to no knowledge about coding, computers, etc (just a love of old school gaming), how do I go about upgrading the handheld to the current version via Mac?  Does anyone know of any step by step guides that would show me how to tackle this?
What's a good place to snag games?
Are there any other Mac users out there who could give me some tips?
Is there anything in particular I should know about this device?

Thanks so much!

nateshap

Re: So, I just got a Dingoo A320 (and I own a Mac, not a PC)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »
Also, I found the links to the toddler pack (I saw from browsing the forum that that was the recommended starter for people totally new to dingoo), only they direct to megaupload, which is down as of the past few weeks.  Anyone know where I might find a mirror?

Pollux

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »
I'm not an expert but I can tell you this:

- Search for the Complete Idiots Guide, it's a good start (I guess there's something about mac... but I'm not sure);
- There's a user with some great games in his site (search in google for SentinelGames);
- I pop up this topic to help you out.

nateshap

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:30 am »
I'm not an expert but I can tell you this:

- Search for the Complete Idiots Guide, it's a good start (I guess there's something about mac... but I'm not sure);
- There's a user with some great games in his site (search in google for SentinelGames);
- I pop up this topic to help you out.

Thanks man, appreciate it.   Yeah, I've got about a week before my 16 gig SD micro (with adaptor) arrives, and looking at various sites, people seem to be of the consensus that you should have the SD card before installing or upgrading anything.  So I've got some time to figure things out I think. 

Does anyone know if there's anything I can/should do in the interim before my SD card gets here?  I was reading that when you upgrade the firmware or make some changes to the A320, it wipes everything and you have to start from scratch.  Is there anything I can do to prepare that won't get wiped?

EDIT:  If anyone else has a Mac and has found a way to get things up and running smoothly, I'd love to pick your brain for a while.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:00:07 am by nateshap »

Jonis

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:08:10 pm »
Im just used parallel desktop to start up my winxp virual machine. in win xp i had no problem at all getting it to work but I sat for several hours on mac, not getting it to function. + every time i plug my dingo into my mac it hangs after about 1 minute.

I'm running latest snow leopard on a 2008 macbook pro.

nateshap

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »
Well, damn.  Just got my sd card and adaptor only to find out the adaptor is the wrong size for the A320.  UGH.  So now I've got to go out and find another.   At least the 16gig micro will still work, just need a new adaptor. 

Again, is there anything I can do to the dingoo in the time between now and when I get an sd card that actually works?

Pollux

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
Play some games while trying to find a minisd adaptor!  8)

nateshap

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:13 am »
So I can play games and when I get the new adaptor and install dingux, they'll still be there?

lemmywinks

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:30 am »
Yeah just stick the games on the internal 4gb, it's fine. Native has quite a few emulators and the odd decent original game. There's a port of Wolfenstein, 7 Days is pretty good and there's a couple of half decent hack & slash games too..

Stuff here:
http://www.dingoo-digital.com/
http://wiki.dingoonity.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

You can also prepare your A320 for Dingux by following the preliminary steps in the guide and then when the SD adapter arrives just put the files on it and you're good to go.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

nateshap

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:42:51 am »
Loaded some roms on there - And now I see what all the fuss is about.  So cool!

nateshap

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 02:02:04 am »
So I'm downloading, like, a metric ton of roms.  So cool.

None of this will be erased when I pop dingux on there (at some point)?

Edit:  So some of the games (specifically golden Sun)  are kind of laggy - it's more graphics heavy then most of the games I've been playing (chrono trigger, yoshi's island).  Both the sound and the graphics kind of skip around.  What can I do to fix this?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:28:37 am by nateshap »

robski

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:28:47 pm »
I'm guessing you've done it by now but...

I'm also a mac user and haven't needed windows for much, in fact only once. (will probably need it eventually to convert a few roms though)

The firmware update doesn't affect any of your rom, movie or picture files.
Installing Dingux/OpenDingux also doesn't affect anything for its being installed onto the SD card, just make sure you install the Dual-Boot files first.

Dual-Boot > http://code.google.com/p/dingux-code/downloads/detail?name=linuxspl.zip&can=2&q

Upgrading the firmware
Dingoonity firmware > http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hacks/dingoonity-custom-firmware-1-2/
Read the instructions (Copy paste files to root, hold down while booting up)
This enables a few features including themes, the designer in me had to make a few adjustments...

Dingux/OpenDingux
OpenDingux files > http://www.treewalker.org/opendingux/
Check your screen type first. Goto Settings > About. Press Up, Right, Down, Up, Right, Down - you'll see the LCD module number. Download the correct version.

Installing Dingux/OpenDingux was problematic.
I ordered a 16gb SD card and adapter, this worked fine could drag and drop files to it no problem.

The issue I ran into was booting Dingux/OpenDingux "FATAL: cannot mount /dev/mmcb1k0/dev/mmcb1k0p1 On /boot (17)"
OpenDingux wasn't reading/writing to the SD card properly.

Re-formatting the card on the Mac 100's of times and using 3rd party software done nothing - kept returning to the same error.

Opened up bootcamp/windows 7 formatted the SD card again - bingo. Worked first time, now using OpenDingux and waiting for a MAME release :D

Post a new topic