Author Topic: What's wrong with a modded PSP?  (Read 3806 times)

chazie123 (OP)

What's wrong with a modded PSP?
« on: December 23, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a Dingoo but before I do.... what is wrong with a PSP? It can do everything the Dingoo can but better. I could pick up a PSP 1000 much cheaper than the Dingoo and stick a few emulators on it.

DiegoSLTS

Re: What's wrong with a modded PSP?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »
It all depends in what you want to play. I've read that a moded PSP is not that good for emulating some systems (SNES, I think), but you get the plus of having every PSP or PSX game.

I'm not sure what's "wrong" with it, but both consoles are really old, they're not produced anymore so you'll end up buying a used unit. If you really want one of those two I'll recommend to check for some videos showing how they perform on the different systems you're interested, but you might also want to consider some newer consoles.

Alien Grey

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:09 am »
I own a PSP-E1004 and a Dingoo A-380.

The PSP-E1004 is still available in Europe. It doesn't have wifi and it only has 1 speaker so no stereo sound without an earphone. I only use it to play PSX games and a few good old 3D game ports. It's possible to play a few N64 games on it but I didn't try it.

The real Dingoo A-380 is also still available. There's lots of good emulators and games that run on it.

I don't need a newer console because newer doesn't always mean better. They do the job just fine.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

ker

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:38 am »
Where is real A380 available? I just see A380E around :-(

Alien Grey

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:02 pm »
Where is real A380 available? I just see A380E around :-(

The real Dingoo A-380 is sold out everywhere.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

Charliedontsurf

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:56 am »
I know this is slightly old, but I just wanted to comment. I had a CFW PSP 1000 back in the day and loved it to death, and have many fond memories, and also probably some damage to my hands and wrists because that thing had shit ergonomics and weighed quite a bit. When I went to sell it on Craigslist after not using it for a while, I was amazed at how slow it was compared to, well, anything else I had been gaming on since, most notably my Xperia Play. Load times can be crazy. IIRC PSP 1000 had only 32 mb of ram for chrissakes.

At this point I think a PSP is only good for emulating PS1 and playing legal PSP backups on. Anything else and you have better alternatives.
Xperia Play, Nvidia Shield
Emulation should be free and open.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:50:15 am »
The best thing about the PSP are the robust controls. Fantastic buttons and controller - cant be beat by most of the open source type handhelds which has been a constant issue!

I'm thinking GP32 (clicky but good but only 2 main buttons), GP2X (that awful round controller, spoiled the machine!), Wiz (was okay but not found of the "fire" buttons), Caanoo (Analog-like main controller).

The PSP is pretty capable despite only 32MB (later models have 64MB). I still use it today usually when I go on holiday as it's solid and touch, good battery life and has a nice sized screen.

The only thing missing on it is a decent version of MAME.

Post a new topic