Author Topic: The different type of Dingoos - Trying to clear up the confusion!  (Read 135296 times)

divechaz (OP)

MAJOR EDIT:
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST before tackling 10+ pages of posts  ;):

This thread (which was originally called PAWED vs UNPAWED dingoos) has got incredibly long with loads of conflicting information on it (admittedly, as a result of loads of helpful people trying to contribute and update with their own info and experiences). I began it about 3 or 4 months ago when I attempted to piece together information on the two main types of Dingoos taht were out there in the market at the time (ones with the Pawed logo on the back, and ones without).
Now however, there have been loads of different types available, some HK models, some worse than others; and their functionality of seems to differ based on numerous factors.

On Feb 16th 2010, user "jeremymtc" has summed it all up very well on page 9 of this thread, so I've quoted him/her below. It may save you some time to read it first:

---
There does appear to be much contradictory information out there (and within this thread) as you have noted.

It seems that the claims by some, stating that "all HK-serial Dingoos are lesser units" is an unfounded observation. Differing shipped firmware revisions are probably at the root of such rumors. A 4GB Dingoo is a 4GB Dingoo from a basic user functionality point of view. There DO seem to be some functional differences with regard to flashing/unbricking procedures on the newer units (shipped with 2x2GB memory chips and newer firmwares versus the older 1x4GB version), but the whole "issue" here seems to be blown out of proportion. The key would seemingly be to identify which version of the hardware and firmware you have, and to use the suitable tools for these procedures as necessary. 

Another unfounded observation seems to be that "All Ebay-sourced Dingoos are inferior". While there are documented reports of some 2GB Dingoos with a smaller battery capacity being sold on Ebay, this does not generally appear to be the rule. As always, the buyer should do due diligence in making sure that they are purchasing what they think they are purchasing. I personally have not seen any of these Chinese Domestic Market Dingoos for sale anywhere.

The whole "Pawed" versus "Unpawed" thing is not a reliable indicator of anything, though it might have meant something a year ago. See Justin's (dingoo-digital-usa) posts on this board for proof of this. The pawprints apparently had to do with branding and distributing of these units more than hardware or function. The presence or lack of pawprints is not a valid identifier. Battery type and memory type IS a valid identifier:

First Gen 4GB Dingoo, Export (Western) Version: 1x4GB memory chip, 3.7v 1700mah Battery  / 3.7v 1800mah Battery (Thanks Santino!)

Later 4GB Dingoo, HK & Non-HK Serials: 2x2GB memory chips, 3.7v 1700mah / 3.7v 1800mah Battery

Chinese Domestic 2GB Dingoo, HK Serial (or no serial): 1x2GB or 2x1GB memory chips (?) / 3.7v 1000mah Battery

If anybody knows of or has any revisions to make regarding the basic types above (ie; serial numbering or firmware revisions shipped with them), please speak up!
----------------------------------------------------

If you still want to go through the whole thread, of course, you have my blessing  ;D :D Just keep in mind that the information is continually changing, and stuff that was accurate in Dec 09 might be totally wrong by now.

My original message that started this thread in Nov 2009 begins below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Been furiously lurking on these boards for the last few weeks, and have placed my order for a new Dingoo finally.
Looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe  :D but one thing that has hit me is how there's these issues with two kinds of Dingoos (the older Pawed ones, and the newer ones that don't have the Dingoo Paw logo on them).

There has been some really helpful info from all over the boards from different members, and my only aim here is to try and summarise or centralise all that info. (I don't take any credit for any of the information here, the research has all been done by far more intelligent, intrepid and dedicated Dingoo-lovers who've shared so much for the community  ;D

So here we go. Anyone with more info (or their own experiences with a pawed or unpawed unit that would relate) please feel free to add on to all this!

HARDWARE:
MiltonB has provided some great comparison pics of the inside electronic guts of the two Dingoo versions
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/photos-of-new-unpawed-unit/

There's been some reference to the fact that the newer (unpawed) dingoos use cheaper materials or not as well built, but the discussion seems to be go back and forth about whether that is truly the case. What can be confirmed is that:

"its 2x 2gb chips for the internal Dingoo NAND rather than a single 4gb chip found in the older Pawprinted Dingoos.
Presumably because 2x 2gb chips are probably cheaper.

My speculation is that these cost cutting measures are to improve profit margins. Dingoo is probably more popular than Dingoo Digital anticipated (thanks to Dingux) hence these cost cutting measures". (quoted from Shred)

ruffnuts pointed out that:
Also the pawed Dingoo`s have 1700mah batteries and the unpawed versions have 1800mah batteries...."
------------
EDIT:
However, as has been pointed out below by a poster (wejp), it seems that there are 1800mah batteries in the newer pawed units as well, so there isn't 100% consistency on that point.
------------

Dingoo-digital-usa, (who is also a seller of dingoo products if I'm not mistaken) had this to share:
"On chat and the e-mails I get from Dingoo Digital China it states from this point forward all Dingoo Digital A320 will come with no logo only A320 made in China on the back. I asked why the response I got was several vendors had requested there be no logo on the back. As I said previously the only conclusion I can come to is this is so they can market it with there logo or branding.
The Dingoo still comes up with the Dingoo-Digital and the paw when you power up with this non pawed A320's but lets be honest with the HXF Tool any vendor could change that to Brand them with their boot up logo and screen print the back of the casing with their logo also. But answer to your question as of now that is the plan no more Dingoo-Digital or The paw print or Chinese Symbol on the back only A320 made in China."

-------------------------------------

PROBLEMS:

So far, the main problem with the newer unpawed Dingoos seems to be "Freezing issues".
Newer Dingoos have problems with the memory allocation routines in some of the home brewed apps or some emulators
Specifically GNUBoy port for the native firmware freezes when trying to load a second rom after quitting the first.

Harteex has a testing thread to find out more (you can read it all here):
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-development/non-pawed-dingoo-testing-thread/
also, Dingoo digital usa has done some more testing at:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-emulation/no-paw-print-on-dingoo-a320-issues-with-emualtors-posted/

what seems to emerge is that (through a variety of memory tests beyond my mere mortal understanding ;)  ), members have narrowed it down to GnuBoy and LynGOO being the two emulators that glitch and freeze in the newer unpawed units.

There ARE update/ fixes for this floating around as well:
 http://www.portabledev.com/temp/SmsGGOOV31.SIM

and some people have reported success with it.

For some extensive reading on it, check out:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-general/freeze-issue-with-new-manufactured-dingoo's-and-three-emu's/

(If anyone else has specific problems with the unpawed, feel free to add them all in here)

----------------------------------------------------------
So now, I have a question (and everyone, please feel free to add on, so that people can contribute more answers)

Q: All these issues with homebrew apps and native OS emulators aside; are there major issues with running Dingux on these new Dingoos (i.e. issues that would NOT be there with an older, pawed version?)

UPDATE Jan 2010:

"Shred" has pointed out below that:
As I understand it, its not quite as simple as "old" and "new" Dingoos anymore. (Pawed and Unpawed models)
I believe there are 4 different models of Dingoo now.

1) The original Export Pawed Dingoo. (no longer manufactured)
2) Unpawed Export Dingoo. (currently produced)
3) 2gb Chinese Pawed Dingoo (with 1000 mAh battery) - has problems running native homebrew.
4) 4gb Chinese Pawed Dingoo (Serial ends in HK) - has problems running native homebrew.

In case anyone who's bought a Dingoo recently is wondering what they have, you can find your serial number (and see if it ends with "HK" for Hong Kong) on the bottom of your Dingoo, between the USB port and your left speaker.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:13:33 am by divechaz »

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: PAWED and UNPAWED Dingoos - Trying to clear up the confusion!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 10:21:32 am »
A very good idea for a topic, stickied :)

Kronus

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:24:58 am »
All emulators and applications are now fixed and should work with the both pawed & undpawed Dingoos.  ;D
"I'm happy to serve the Dingoo Community!"

QBert

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 04:02:33 pm »
All emulators and applications are now fixed and should work with the both pawed & undpawed Dingoos.  ;D

I still experienced freezing on my non-paw with the "fixed" Gnuboy.

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »
Yea GnuBoy isn't really fixed, I have no idea how to delete the file from the file archive...

Azm0deus

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:22:03 am »
Well i don't know if this happens only in unpawed dingoos but mine can't run .JBC roms (in the GBA folder) if i change the name of the roms or move them to another folder.

I can't install dingux either, but again I don't know if the cause is related to unpawed dingoos.. The lcd version is ILI9331.

Kalisiin

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 01:37:12 pm »
Well i don't know if this happens only in unpawed dingoos but mine can't run .JBC roms (in the GBA folder) if i change the name of the roms or move them to another folder.

I can't install dingux either, but again I don't know if the cause is related to unpawed dingoos.. The lcd version is ILI9331.

That is because they should be JGC....not JBC.  Try renaming them.

More likely your difficulty with installing Dingux comes from the fact you are probably using Vista, or 7 instead of XP.  Seems 64-bit users are having difficulty.

eule

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 01:54:05 pm »
Iirc, .jgc roms must be started over "3D Games". Can?t test that right now, as i deleted them all.  :D

Kalisiin

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 06:23:32 pm »
Iirc, .jgc roms must be started over "3D Games". Can?t test that right now, as i deleted them all.  :D

Nope.  I got mine mixed in with my .GBA games, and they boot up just fine that way.

Only the .APP games have to go over in 3D

Azm0deus

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 07:18:27 pm »
Sorry I wanted to say .JGC... they work only in GAME/GBA folder and with the default names (1001.JGC, 1002.JGC, 1003.JGC...). If i move or rename them, they don't work. About dingux i tried in two different computers both with win xp installed.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:36:35 pm »
... Back to being on topic folks :)

NinJato

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:40:17 pm »
I have 4 "pawed" Dingoos.

One is white with a thin plastic face protector over the whole unit (with a "tab" to remove it, on the right-hand side).

Two of the black ones have thick protectors over the face (those ones I am not going to remove... they are excellent screen protectors that do not show scratches). The casing backs and buttons are both glass-smooth.

The last black one I got had the cheap, thin protector with tab and the casing back is rough/textured (as are the buttons). This last one also feels lighter and the buttons are harder to push (more resistance and feels like they will last longer than the others).

It appears that they are changing the Dingoo components on a regular basis. I like how the buttons feel on the newer lighter one, but I am keeping one of the thick protector ones for myself (will look newer longer with screen protection). Out of the four Dingoos, only the two I got at the same time are the same unit.

I have not seen an "unpawed" Dingoo yet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:36:02 am by NinJato »

Puumpkin_Masher

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 05:04:25 pm »
The black dingoo I just got had the thin tabbed plastic over the entire front.  I just stuck a DS Lite screen protector on it and it fit perfectly

wejp

• wejpsite
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 11:16:08 am »
ruffnuts pointed out that:
Also the pawed Dingoo`s have 1700mah batteries and the unpawed versions have 1800mah batteries....
This is not true. I've got a pawed Dingoo with a 1800 mAh battery.
It seems they first used 1700 mAh batteries for the Dingoo, and then at some point they started using 1800 mAh batteries while still using those cases with the paws printed on them.

woooozzaa

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:23:18 am »
Shouldn't this be updated now that its the pawed china units we should avoid? I'de guess the "old" homebrew enabled pawed dingoos are all gone now.

Icetea06

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:40 pm »
I've got a pawed Dingoo with a 1800 mAh battery. Serial number is 4G A320BK9600788HK. I think HK stands for Hong-Kong. The freezing issues I encounter are the following :
Every homebrew app/emulator freezes as soon as I launch it. All native apps/emulators run perfectly well.

JackBauersh

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:57 pm »
I've got the same dingoo as you, Icetea06, cannot run any homebrew apps and emulators because it freezes (only native ones). I think the solution is installing dingux to play the other emulators and apps, and use the native firmware only to play GBA games.

Puumpkin_Masher

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 07:38:20 pm »
I had that EXACT issue, I believe I got ahold of the same exact run that you currently have.

Never did figure out how to get homebrew running becuase I tried a reflashing tool that bricked it.  You can update firmware, just don't use a reflashing tool.

JackBauersh

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 08:11:49 pm »
And what did you do, Pumpkin? how does dingux run on yours?

Greetz ;)

Icetea06

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »
Pumpkin Master, were you able to unbrick your dingoo or did you get the red "not allowed" screen ?
And can you explain me the difference between reflashing and updating ?
I think JackBauersh is right, dingux is the answer for homebrew apps, but is it possible to install it without bricking the dingoo ?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic