Author Topic: The different type of Dingoos - Trying to clear up the confusion!  (Read 124444 times)

Chris23235

Re: PAWED and UNPAWED Dingoos - Trying to clear up the confusion!
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2010, 10:50:38 pm »
I ordered my 2nd Dingoo from toybar last week, will pick it up tomorrow from the post office. My first one was last August and it was the original pawed version, but then there wasn't another available. The Dingoo came fully charged and with 3 GB Roms preloaded. Shipping was last time and this time again 7 days to germany. I will post tomorrow, which version he has right now.

ZeroCorpse

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:42 am »
Yeah. I would have ordered from Deal Extreme, but they were completely out of stock, and not doing much about it since it's a Chinese holiday, apparently. I got my Wiz from Thinkgeek, but I decided that what they were asking for the Dingoo, plus shipping, made it too expensive considering the choices out there.

I totally forgot about SuperUFO, and just grabbed the one on ebay because it seemed cool. We'll see, I guess.

Valek

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2010, 07:05:21 am »
Just f.y.i. have bought my Dingoo on 10 Dec (well received beg of Jan, slow shipping presumably due to holidays) from store.cn - white pawed non-HK with 3 Gb roms (90 percent in chinese ;D), have istalled dingoonity custom firmware and dingux flawlessly.

So at least 2 months ago they had nice Dingoos, don't know what's the situation now...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:07:25 am by Valek »

V1RUSW0rm

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:43 pm »
I asked toy_bar about serial number. He said it is 4G A320WHxxxxxxxx without HK and with paw at back.

I also asked cn_2009. He said the same (paw and no-HK), but I already paid to toy_bar for it. I hope it will be shipped for me soon  ::)

blastyrant

« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:49 am »
i'm looking for a second dingoo for a gift. the last one i ordered from DX was pawed with no "HK" in the serial but all emus froze for a split second while playing games. it was never consistant, and always random. i returned it over 2 months ago and have yet to receive a refund. just fyi, DX's customer service is very hard to deal with and it can take 2-3 months to get a replacement and/or a refund.

back on topic...

i want to buy a second dingoo but this thread has me really confused. some people say one thing, others add-on, then someone says something else.

what do i want to look for?

1) Pawed 4G with no "HK" in the serial?
2) Unpawed 4G with no "HK" in the serial (these were the exported versions?)?

how do you know if its a HongKong version when people are saying the 2G has no serial and doesn't say "HK". Others say the the ones you want don't have a serial. Then others say the pawed, no serial, exports are what yo u want. :P i'm really confused.

can someone who knows 1st hand just tell me exactly what to look for so I can start e-mailing reseellers? Also does anyone know of a good shop that will shop to the U.S.? Does Dingoo.co.uk ship worldwide?

Cheers and thanks for reading!

jeremymtc

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:54 am »
Blast,

There does appear to be much contradictory information out there (and within this thread) as you have noted.

It seems that the claims by some, stating that "all HK-serial Dingoos are lesser units" is an unfounded observation. Differing shipped firmware revisions are probably at the root of such rumors. A 4GB Dingoo is a 4GB Dingoo from a basic user functionality point of view. There DO seem to be some functional differences with regard to flashing/unbricking procedures on the newer units (shipped with 2x2GB memory chips and newer firmwares versus the older 1x4GB version), but the whole "issue" here seems to be blown out of proportion. The key would seemingly be to identify which version of the hardware and firmware you have, and to use the suitable tools for these procedures as necessary.  

Another unfounded observation seems to be that "All Ebay-sourced Dingoos are inferior". While there are documented reports of some 2GB Dingoos with a smaller battery capacity being sold on Ebay, this does not generally appear to be the rule. As always, the buyer should do due diligence in making sure that they are purchasing what they think they are purchasing. I personally have not seen any of these Chinese Domestic Market Dingoos for sale anywhere.

The whole "Pawed" versus "Unpawed" thing is not a reliable indicator of anything, though it might have meant something a year ago. See Justin's (dingoo-digital-usa) posts on this board for proof of this. The pawprints apparently had to do with branding and distributing of these units more than hardware or function. The presence or lack of pawprints is not a valid identifier. Battery type and memory type IS a valid identifier:

First Gen 4GB Dingoo, Export (Western) Version: 1x4GB memory chip, 3.7v 1700mah Battery  / 3.7v 1800mah Battery (Thanks Santino!)

Later 4GB Dingoo, HK & Non-HK Serials: 2x2GB memory chips, 3.7v 1700mah / 3.7v 1800mah Battery

Chinese Domestic 2GB Dingoo, HK Serial (or no serial): 1x2GB or 2x1GB memory chips (?) / 3.7v 1000mah Battery

If anybody knows of or has any revisions to make regarding the basic types above (ie; serial numbering or firmware revisions shipped with them), please speak up!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:44:44 am by jeremymtc »

santino

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:50 am »
There were 4g first gen pawed nonhk models with 1800mah batteries, too. ;)

blastyrant

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »
Battery type and memory type IS a valid identifier:

First Gen 4GB Dingoo, Export (Western) Version: 1x4GB memory chip, 3.7v 1700mah Battery 
Later 4GB Dingoo, HK & Non-HK Serials: 2x2GB memory chips, 3.7v 1700mah / 3.7v 1800mah Battery
Chinese Domestic 2GB Dingoo, HK Serial (or no serial): 1x2GB or 2x1GB memory chips (?) / 3.7v 1000mah Battery

jeremymtc,
  thank you very much for the reply. i have received a reply from thinkgeek.com. their customer service rep told me that the dingoo they are currently selling is unpawed and has no serial number. am i to assume that this probably a HK build without a serial? based on what you said, and what i have researched, only the HK build appears to ship without a serial. the HK build can not use the unbricker, if you get into trouble, and might have issues with 3rd party native o/s emulation... correct?

cheers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:28:08 pm by blastyrant »

jeremymtc

« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2010, 02:41:07 am »
Hi Blast,

From all that I've read, it doesn't seem to be that significant one way or other regarding serial number; like the paw, it's just something tampo-printed or silkscreened on the case. I'd go by the specs of the unit alone.

Regarding unbricking, check out this thread in its entirety: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-help/unauthorized-red-screen-after-flashing/

Joyrider (Dingoo software developer extraordinaire) has created an unbricking tool applicable for the later firmware(s) which the originally released unbricker tool from Dingoo does not seem to address. The thread I linked above details his process and makes an interesting read.

I believe that there are still some issues reported with installation or running of some homebrew titles on the newer firmware (but a non-issue if booting Dingux). Again, I don't think that this points to any significant change in hardware, just difficulties with the shipped firmware which haven't yet been addresses by the manufacturer or the community.

Hope this helps!

blastyrant

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2010, 06:55:08 am »
Regarding unbricking, check out this thread in its entirety: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-help/unauthorized-red-screen-after-flashing/

thanks for the link, great read!

BaDToaD

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2010, 12:08:30 pm »
but the whole "issue" here seems to be blown out of proportion.

Personally I'd call the fact HK dingoos cannot run ANY native applications or emulators other than those supplied a rather big problem!

Not everyone wants to install Dingux.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »
Personally I'd call the fact HK dingoos cannot run ANY native applications or emulators other than those supplied a rather big problem.
Are you sure about that? I thought most of those applications were recompiled from source code to correct the memory allocation (malloc) problem...
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

BaDToaD

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »
Are you sure about that? I thought most of those applications were recompiled from source code to correct the memory allocation (malloc) problem...

99% sure. I haven't got a single app or native emulator to run on my HK Dingoo yet. This isn't the same problem that the Pawed/Unpawed Dingoos had.

I'd love to be proven wrong or to find out there's a fix available but alas I believe that not to be the case.

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »
yup it's something completely unrelated to the memory alloc problems. I have a HK Dingoo as well now and tried to get something running on it, it doesn't even want to run a simple hello world app which i compiled myselve, we looked at it one night but couldn't get anything running and i can't read assembler so someone else might have to dig into this if it's even worth it, since coding for native just sucks and future dingoo's should not have the problem anymore, according to some posts i read. Eventually it's a End User fault, you should check what you buy before actually buying it (at least if someone bought one recently). I know it wasn't very clear in the beginning and we didn't get any info about changes. It might be someone figures something out but i'm not wasting my time with that anymore :)

jeremymtc

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2010, 02:44:01 am »

99% sure. I haven't got a single app or native emulator to run on my HK Dingoo yet. This isn't the same problem that the Pawed/Unpawed Dingoos had.

I'd love to be proven wrong or to find out there's a fix available but alas I believe that not to be the case.

That's good to know. At the very least, yours and Joyrider's posts make clear a couple of points that were previously quite hazy on a read through this thread. While problems like the above are indeed a bad thing, obfuscation of the issue is an even worse thing. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2010, 05:11:22 pm »
I agree. I'm glad that I know for sure now that there is yet another type of Dingoo that has probs. w/ native apps. I take it that down- or upgrading the firmware does not help either? Or is impossible?
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2010, 08:29:09 pm »
I agree. I'm glad that I know for sure now that there is yet another type of Dingoo that has probs. w/ native apps. I take it that down- or upgrading the firmware does not help either? Or is impossible?

it's not possible using regular unbricker tool, it is possible using hacked one, and perhaps even possible with the latest unbricker tool release from end of january.

Upgrading / downgrading firmwares did not help to get anything running, was the first thing i tried :)

ravage2002

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2010, 01:29:34 am »
I got one of the no.4 (Chinese white 4gb with serial ending by HK) but I don't have any problems whatsoever with native apps... What's are suppose to be the problems?

pasteur

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:08 am »
Mine is a new 4GB dingoo with paw print on its back but not on its cpu. And I'm having issues like being unable to run games such as 7days and frozen after 2nd run of gnuboy. Anyway dingux works flawlessly. (ofcourse i installed dingux in new method) 8)

The only seller here in Korea uploaded several pictures comparing an old-well-made dingoo and a newly manufactured dingoo on Korean dingoo community.  The new one had two 2GB nand flash memory on a green PCB in that fictures.

SN : 4G A320BK9619743

* These pictures below were taken by me not the seller.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:55:30 am by pasteur »

ravage2002

« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2010, 05:46:09 am »
Pasteur, have you tried the new 1.22 app. for dingoo on the official site (named "Ding Guo A320 English version of 3D games and simulators" when translated) here the link: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dingoo888.cn%2Fservice.asp%3Fclassid%3D4 If those are the ones you tried try the older ones instead.