Author Topic: Stuck Pixel - how to fix it?  (Read 11914 times)

joepie91 (OP)

Stuck Pixel - how to fix it?
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:11:25 pm »
Hey all,

I ordered a Dingoo from Dealextreme a while ago, and got it a few weeks ago. It's been working fine, but I'd noticed a white fuzz at a certain spot on the screen, which I thought might've been just fingerprints from one of the factory workers (they're located under the screen cover). However, today, I noticed that one pixel went green and stayed like that. So I now have a stuck pixel. I've ran the GBA Pixel Fixer, and a ScreenFixer video, but those did nothing. I also tried the pixel massage technique, but as there is a protective cover over the screen, I can hardly apply pressure to a certain point (where the dead pixel is). I've already contacted Dealextreme, but does any of you have a solution for fixing this? If it's fixable, it might be better to do that, since I won't have to deal with the hassle of returning it to Dealextreme and waiting for a replacement etc.

dukemagus

Re: Stuck Pixel - how to fix it?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »
lcds have such problem... dead pixels are mostly dead for good

Rebelphoenix

• Critical Indie Gamer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:02:50 pm »
there should be a flash program that you can find through google to fix dead pixels, don't know if it will work but you can give it a go.

Natrox

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:03 pm »
If all else fails, try the GBA stuck pixel fixer again, but let it run for a few hours.

joepie91 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:37:23 pm »
lcds have such problem... dead pixels are mostly dead for good
It's not a dead pixel, it's a stuck pixel. Dead pixels are always black or white, this pixel is green.

Anyhow, the problem seems to be gone for now, but I guess it will return. I've 'massaged' the screen a little more, and right now I'm not seeing it, but the fuzz is still there. Also, Natrox, is it safe to run that gba pixel fixer? It makes a weird buzzing sound, and the screen doesn't change color at the same time everywhere on the screen (it tears)...

Bouvrie

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:50:34 am »
Dead pixels are always black or white, this pixel is green.
From this source, I learned that a white pixel shouldn't be a dead pixel, but moreso a stuck pixel:
A dead pixel is defined as a pixel or set of sub-pixels that has failed and is permanently in the off position. This condition means that the pixel will not let any light through. This can be observed as a dark or black spot on a brightly colored or white background.

A stuck pixel is defined as a pixel or sub-pixel that has failed and is permanently in the on position. This can be either with a single or multiple sub-pixels for a given pixel and is best observed on a dark or black background. A white pixel means all three sub-pixels have failed while a green, red or blue pixel means one of the sub-pixels has failed.

Also, Natrox, is it safe to run that gba pixel fixer? It makes a weird buzzing sound, and the screen doesn't change color at the same time everywhere on the screen (it tears)...

I too have a stuck pixel problem (2 white pixels) from a DealExtreme device. I've been running the GBA Stuck pixel fixer, but no resolve.

I'm running pre-overclocked custom firmware 1.03, I noticed that when disabling sound in the GBA emulator, the screen tearing occurs. Whenever I enabled the sound (and got the buzzing sound), the screen changes color regularly. I turned the volume down a bit and the sound isn't too annoying. It didn't fix anything though. :P

I now hope for the massaging technique to be fruitful, but the protective cover over the screen has proven too hard to apply enough pressure.
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

joepie91 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:07:42 am »
In the meantime, I have managed to find a spot on my protection cover where I could massage it to remove the stuck pixel. It's gone for now, but I'm kinda afraid there will be more stuck pixels popping up around that white fuzz. I'll await what Dealextreme says on CSE, but I'd really like to trade it in for a non-faulty one, of course.

Also, the GBA pixel fixer always tears here, no matter if sound is on or off.

Goon8

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:52:22 am »
Maybe an "Old wive's tale" but I've heard people use a pencil rubber and massage the dead pixel with great success. Worth a shot if it comes back..

Bouvrie

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:13:26 am »
In the meantime, I have managed to find a spot on my protection cover where I could massage it to remove the stuck pixel.
How did you manage that? I don't think it would have been very accurate, manipulating only several pixels through the much larger protective surface?
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

joepie91 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:41 am »
In the meantime, I have managed to find a spot on my protection cover where I could massage it to remove the stuck pixel.
How did you manage that? I don't think it would have been very accurate, manipulating only several pixels through the much larger protective surface?
Well, it seems the protective cover is bent a little... only a little, but enough to apply pressure to a certain spot. I just used the stylus of my Nintendo DS to go over the protective cover, from left top to bottom right, watching colors change on the screen (which always happen when you push on a LCD). I just tried that in various spots, until I saw the color change very near to the stuck pixel, and I continued to massage on that spot on the protective cover. That spot was about 1cm at the left-top from the stuck pixel itself.

eule

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:56 pm »
Maybe that vid helps, where other pixelfixers don?t:
http://z0r.de/?id=12
 ;D

Post a new topic