• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Review - The Dingoo A330  (Read 109968 times)

hi-ban

Re: Review - The Dingoo A330
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »
do you think it will be possible to put the a330 firmware into the a320?

ddragoonss

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 06:06:44 pm »
not cause the version number, but cause the date too)
if you compare the secret config screen on the 320/330, the os hash is different, so it's not the same, even though the date is

Maybe cause the different theme?

Almost sure, If has a .hfx extractor somewhere, ask to omgmog to upload the firmware.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:09:58 pm by ddragoonss »

hi-ban

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »
i mean, the dingoo a330 works at 400mhz, so maybe we can make the a320 to work at 400mhz using a330 firmware? if so, native emus might get a performance boost...

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 06:37:02 pm »
Almost sure, If has a .hfx extractor somewhere, ask to omgmog to upload the firmware.

I can't dump the firmware from the A330. The .hxf extractors only work on firmware installer files, not on the contents of the A330 itself

i mean, the dingoo a330 works at 400mhz, so maybe we can make the a320 to work at 400mhz using a330 firmware? if so, native emus might get a performance boost...

The clock can be set using .app's, and set in Dingux. People have already tried overclocking the A320 beyond 438, but it's not possible

Edit, I've updated the first post with a note:

Note: this is a review of a SAMPLE version of the A330, and any hardware or software configurations presented in this SAMPLE A330 might change in the final model.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:46:36 pm by omgmog »

ricsi

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 07:02:47 pm »
The clock can be set using .app's, and set in Dingux. People have already tried overclocking the A320 beyond 438, but it's not possible

My a320 works well with 450 MHz ...

regarding the different hash ... there is a different theme and a different startimage used ...

dingoo-digital-usa claims that there will be HW and SW changes in the final unit.
So that the sample units are not identical to the final ones .... we will see.

Nickeng

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »
Can you get the theme out of the machine so it could be put on a A320..

Or better still so it can be modified.

ddragoonss

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2010, 10:52:46 pm »
I mean, the dingoo a330 works at 400mhz, so maybe we can make the a320 to work at 400mhz using a330 firmware? if so, native emus might get a performance boost...

For Native OS:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,43

or

http://flatmush.juliusparishy.com/a320/toolchain/sml_overclock_r61.zip

For dingux use gmenu, it can update each emulator/app indivually and automatically.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:11:32 pm by ddragoonss »

hi-ban

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 11:42:42 pm »
i already know that, but i just don't want to have to execute the overclocking app each time i turn on my dingoo.

Siloucos

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 01:10:56 am »
i already know that, but i just don't want to have to execute the overclocking app each time i turn on my dingoo.

...and maybe we can have tv out with overclock now! :)

thismeinteil

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:37 am »
Especially can't wait to see what the devs can do with the revised chip/board and extra Ram.
Also, do the native emulators for SNES and/or Genesis run any better?

What revised chip are you speaking of??

The a330 uses the SAME firmware as the a320!!
This means no real change on ANYTHING important. (Otherwise they would have needed to update the firmware)

Why should the emulators work better.
They are running on near identical HW and the same software (Emulator version 1.0).
The emulators would need to be updated to take advantage of the additional ram.
(Neo Geo would be a good target, which could benefit from an update there)

But than again think about the past.
The Emulators have NEVER (not once!!) been updated.
And the "new" A330 uses the same FW as the a320 which is from 2009.

This does not give me much hope.

At least they updated the FW in the past.
Fixed the X/Y bug and added some languages.
Not much seen when it comes to added features. (like PSP added browser, PSN, Skype and other new features)

Well, what I meant was what omgmog said in the review about the CPU.  "CPU: 400MHz Jz4740 Revised Processor and Motherboard."

Since the cicuit board for the controller says PSButton on it, does that mean it's from a third party PS3 controller?  And didn't the specs for the controller say it had "motion control?"

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:32 am »
Well, what I meant was what omgmog said in the review about the CPU.  "CPU: 400MHz Jz4740 Revised Processor and Motherboard."

Since the cicuit board for the controller says PSButton on it, does that mean it's from a third party PS3 controller?  And didn't the specs for the controller say it had "motion control?"

The controller is like some generic PS2 controller, with the wireless receiver daughterboard soldered on where you would usually find the controller cable attached. The "PSButton" is actually the "wireless connect" button, and the controller features no "motion controls" at all.

This is a sample controller however, and might not (hopefully!) reflect the final product -- though motion control would have no place on a console such as the Dingoo

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 10:12:30 am »
@omgmog: About the speaker.

They are bigger, right?
Is the sound clearer or louder?
Can i use the tvout as second Earphone out?

Solstice

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 10:29:45 am »

...and maybe we can have tv out with overclock now! :)
Yep id much rather have my A320 running at 400 for native all of the time

TV out really needs that extra performance for games also,and that doesnt work with OC app

Would be great
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:57 am »
@omgmog: About the speaker.

They are bigger, right?
Is the sound clearer or louder?
Can i use the tvout as second Earphone out?

They are the same size as the A320, just positioned on the back now instead of the bottom. I haven't tested but I assume the TV-out on the A330 will work like an earphone jack just as in the A320.

bobby

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »
back in the old days i when the dingoo just hit I downloaded a 400 mhz firmware for the dingoo from some Asian website, was much faster but it had the YB button bug. Its quite annoying having to start the overclock app all the time. I'd love to have a firmware that is set at 430 mhz. Anyone there who knows how to do that ?

Stephanie

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »
I've been looking at the internal photos of the A330 and its wireless controller some more, and came across a few things that might be of interest.

Initially I had been disappointed to believe that the L1 and L2 buttons, and R1 and R2 buttons on the controller were just ganged together because I could only see a single pair of conductors from each set of triggers. I've realized that this is incorrect, the four trigger buttons are indeed wired separately, so there is the possibility that a software update will enable them to work independantly, i.e. L1 and L2 would be two separate buttons, ditto for R1 and R2.

The U4 on the wireless controller appears to be an Atmel chip (ATML silkscreened on it) and this could be a 3-axis accellerometer, though maybe it too is in need of a software update in order to get it to work. It does appear to be wired to the missing U3, which perhaps will be in place on the final retailed products. (i.e. maybe the chip wasn't in place for the initial samples.)

The main processor on the controller appears to be an Elan Tech microprocessor, it's an OTP (one time programmable) device meaning it's burned once at the factory and cannot be updated later on. So odds are that the wireless controllers themselves cannot be flashed or updated after-the-fact, but this may not be an issue (see below).

The 'wireless transmitter' daughterboard on the controller appears to be identical to the 'wireless receiver' daughter board in the A330, which makes me wonder if they might actually be transcievers after all - meaning it may be possible via software to get two A330's to talk to each other.

And finally, the IC that is next to the wireless receiver board on the A330 appears to be an Elan Tech EM78F644N which is a microprocessor, flash-programmable. I suspect that this IC is responsible for communicating between the JZ4740 and the wireless daughterboard. The fact that it is flash-programmable means that software updates ought to be able to expand or revamp the way the wireless communications take place -- making two-player gaming possible, and maybe even connecting two A330's together.

The wireless controller functions equally for Dingux as it does the native firmware, which does suggest that all the functionality is handled by hardware. However if I am correct about this IC, then the wireless has its own firmware that is changeable, while still appearing as standard hardware to the Dingoo itself.

Please note this is all based on educated guesswork, study of the images, and some research. I'm sure that we'll continue to learn more, as more reviews are posted and more people get their hands on the A330.

Cheers!

Edited to add: The two analog joysticks on the controller do appear to be wired as analog joysticks -- they each have three conductors per axis which makes sense for analog encoding. The fact that they are currently mapped to the digital buttons is something that could most likely be changed with a firmware update. The controller also appears to have the traces in place to allow rumble to be added - left and right sides of the circuit board have unpopulated markings for the components that I am certain would be for driving two small DC motors, and from what you can see of the hand grips they appear to have moulded spacers for something cylindrical to fit in there. :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:46:22 pm by Stephanie »

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:27 pm »
So whats the conclusion?

They have fix this issues for the final product. Otherwise we are not able to map the buttons like we want.

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:30 am »
  • The buttons are quite sticky to press, and often feel like they might get stuck
  • D-pad/buttons aren?t very springy

Sticky buttons? Mushy buttons? *barf* Potential deal breakers if they don't fix these issues in the final production models. For a device that is targeted at gaming first, gaming controls are KING. A gaming device that has inferior ergonomics to the original NES gamepad is just not going to cut it.

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 11:23:49 am »
Yes, those comments about the buttons/dpad scare me. It is what's keeping me from putting an order in at the moment.

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 11:58:29 am »
It's almost as if the holes for the buttons are too tight. I imagine this will be fixed in the final product.

Post a new topic