Author Topic: Please don't use the official wall charger  (Read 45550 times)

8bitbubsy

Please don't use the official wall charger
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:21:25 am »
It's for your own good. It's a piece of ****!  >:(

Where to start...
1) The wires from the AC connector to the PCB board are almost as thin as Kynar wires. Mmm... Poor wires, also that would generate some heat and maybe stress/resistance.

2) The PCB is squeezed together inside this little plastic housing, which might suffer from heat issues if left over night

3) When I crack opened mine, the first thing I noticed was a big solder tin ball that fell out. Imagine what kind of madness that little chap could've done...

4) I noticed that the AC rail wires are squeezed onto the side of the charger, which could worn out the protection layer. On a related note, the wires are placed right beside a diode/resistor (can't remember what it was). Again, that's a potentionally dangerous issue, especially if the wires have a worn out protection.

Even though it seems to be in pristine conditions, don't use it. You're probably good to go if you strictly check its inners and solder on some fatter wires on the main AC rail.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:29:18 am by 8bitbubsy »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: Please don't use the official wall charger
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:17:45 pm »
I tend to agree with you. The included charger is an accident waiting to happen.

The wall powered USB charger from my Wii remote charging dock does the job wonderfully!

darfgarf

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:23:15 pm »
'Warning!Dangerousinshock by electricity
Please use in the dryencironment!'
^^ would you use a charger that had that written on it XD ^^

edit: opened the charger from my 330, seems to be much better, with the dinkyest little transformer i've ever seen, straight to the spare parts bin with that
...and there's surface mount components on teh underside of the board, just shorting over between tracks in an awkward fashion, and i see at least 2 shorts where things have been over-solder blobbed XD
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:26:37 pm by darfgarf »

8bitbubsy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »
and i see at least 2 shorts where things have been over-solder blobbed XD
It's normal on the underside of PSU PCB to have big solder blobs as bridges/shorts.

darfgarf

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:46:12 pm »
It's normal on the underside of PSU PCB to have big solder blobs as bridges/shorts.

well maybe in china, who would intentionally use solder blobs to complete the circuit, especially where you could just put a proper track :D

segafrog

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:14:20 pm »
so it's ok to use non-dingoo wall chargers with the a320 then?
i definitely don't want to use the official charger!
(i will be receiving an a320 next week).

i intend to use my official apple ipod usb charger which i would guess is safe and well made although
i'm only assuming this.  the output is 5v- - -1.0A.

if i'm making a big mistake someone tell me please !

santino

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »
Ouput have to be 5v and more than 500mah. Best should be about 1000mah.

Stephanie

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 07:05:20 pm »
so it's ok to use non-dingoo wall chargers with the a320 then?
i definitely don't want to use the official charger!
(i will be receiving an a320 next week).

i intend to use my official apple ipod usb charger which i would guess is safe and well made although
i'm only assuming this.  the output is 5v- - -1.0A.

if i'm making a big mistake someone tell me please !

I've used the apple ipod / iphone charger with my dingoo and it works fine.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 07:26:20 pm »
I've been using my official Dingoo wall charger for a couple months now with no problems. So I shall continue to do so until I see/hear/smell some sort of problem.

Is it slowly f'ing up my battery or something?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:29:14 pm by Jesse »

segafrog

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »
here are some other options which are safer than using the official dingoo charger.

1. electric eel (difficult to get into usb slot but possible)
2. connect to exercise bike using a dynamo and some wires
3. i can't think of any more but that's probably a good thing ;D

sebosnia

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 10:24:24 pm »
I couldn't agree more. The wall charger burned my dingoo, as I explained in the topic I made http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/dead-dingoo-after-wall-charging/

Tupin

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 02:44:24 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I shall only charge it through a USB port on a PC or with a more reliable adapter.

Omega Gemo

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:36 pm »
Not to scare anybody, but I believe that the wall charger is what caused the battery in my dingoo to start bloating, as I reported in http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/faulty-battery-or-faulty-battery-indicator/

I primarily used the wall charger to charge my dingoo, since I couldn't get it to charge through the USB ports on my computer (refused to switch from USB mode to charge mode).

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »
Hmm. Maybe I will start only charging it with USB+computer.

And what do you mean it refused to switch from USB mode to charge mode? It charges while in USB mode.

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 04:43:11 am »
And what do you mean it refused to switch from USB mode to charge mode? It charges while in USB mode.

+1. The charging battery icon doesn't come up but it is still charging, even when the USB screen is displayed.

sebosnia

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 02:51:20 am »
The minute I got my new Dingoo, I threw away the charger. Now I'm charging it on my pc, connected to an usb port.

But how long it takes to charge? It shows no battery animation, so I have no clue when it'll be done.

jkd

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 04:15:33 am »
Yeah, I will do almost the same, i'll open that sh*t to see waht cr*p happen threre, then threw away.

Maybe i'll buy a decent wallcharger.

Skyline969

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 02:29:20 am »
The minute I got my new Dingoo, I threw away the charger. Now I'm charging it on my pc, connected to an usb port.

But how long it takes to charge? It shows no battery animation, so I have no clue when it'll be done.
This might be a late reply, but I charged mine through USB on my laptop on Dingux with the brightness set to 5 (as low as it can go before it caps), and it took approximately 7 or 8 hours to (not quite) fully charge. It was just on 1 bar in native firmware, so my guess is leave it overnight if it's almost dead.

CJB100

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 10:35:03 am »
Just sayin', my wall charger works just fine. I've left it plugged in for days with no smells, no overheating, no sparks when I plug it in, etc. I think maybe something has been corrected in their production...? Or maybe mine's just a fluke. XD

TheCaffeinator

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »
I've been using a "fake" charger with my "fake" Dingoo for almost six months without any problems. I'd never leave the thing plugged in overnight, though, fake or not. Too risky for any fragile electronic device, IMHO.

Four hours max in the wall plug usually gives my A320 a full charge. Takes forever if I use the USB-to-computer trickle method.

I'm not saying everyone should throw caution to the window and use their "fake" chargers without fear. I'm just saying that it hasn't been an issue for me.

Post a new topic