Author Topic: Hi everyone! (And hardware pic)  (Read 27111 times)

Cevyn

Hi everyone! (And hardware pic)
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:26:44 am »
Hi everyone!  New here and to the Dingoo...but not to other emulation consoles like the GP2X.  

Figured I'd start off by saying that I just received my Dingoo from Chinavasion and it's a Pawed unit.  The guts:

http://www.fastmhz.com/Files/Dingoo/DingooGuts.jpg

First thing I did was plop the modded firmware "Custom Firmware v1.20-pof for dingoo A320" in.  Everything is working great, except I can't seem to get much volume out of this thing.

PS: There's a small chance some of you have come across my other adventures on http://www.fastmhz.com.  I will be digging into this unit quite a bit!

Regards
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:29:35 am by Cevyn »

Cevyn

Re: Hi everyone! (And hardware pic)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:44:21 am »
Seems I've encountered my first issue...mine refuses to run homebrew anything, but runs all the stock software just fine.  It hard-locks immediately when running .app programs.  I've read and Googled till my eyes hurt, and found a couple other instances of this happening...

On another note, I notice my CPU says "DingooGame" and not "Ingenic"....

zear

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:56:15 am »
Have you tried installing dingux?
That's gonna tell us if the cpu is mips compatibile.

Chris23235

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:10:00 am »
What APPs have you tried?

Errrr, I think the Dingoo CPU ist always mips compatible. It''s a CPU using mips architecture.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:12:28 am by Chris23235 »

zear

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:28:49 am »
What APPs have you tried?

Errrr, I think the Dingoo CPU ist always mips compatible. It''s a CPU using mips architecture.

The cpu is labeled differently, also homebrew binaries don't work for him. Just a thought..

Chris23235

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:46:10 am »
I highly doubt, that Dingoo Digital changes the CPU and ports all their current applications to a new hardware platform. ;-)
By the way, he succesfully updated the FW.

eule

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:42:44 pm »
Iirc, there were 3 different labeled cpus so far: Ingenics, Chinachip and Dingoogame. I definately saw a cpu with a paw on it already on an earlier pic.
Bad thing about the homebrew...  ???

dukemagus

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 04:08:14 pm »
maybe is something about using unpawed-fixed apps on pawed units

Cevyn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:25:38 pm »
I've tried quite a few, but still on there are BlockOut, GooPlayer, Commander Koon and the Overclocker...all hard freeze.  The screen doesn't even change, I have to press reset.

I'm not entirely upset about it because I got it for playing NES and such, and it does that perfectly.  I would like to get some of these homebrew apps going though on the native OS.  In my searching I found one or two other people in forums with the *exact* same issue as I, and no resolution yet.  Regards

My About screens:

EDIT:  Some related topics with similar/same issues:
Pumpkin_Masher on this board in this thread seems to have the same issue:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-games-and-homebrew/dingoo-mega-pack-1-0/msg6092/

http://www.dingoo-digital.com/forums/i-need-help/native-gba-emulator-and-gnuboy-freeze
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:38:18 pm by Cevyn »

eule

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:16 pm »
Maybe it has something to do with the RAM chips, they are Elpida in your unit, and Winbond in others:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/photos-of-new-unpawed-unit/
But iirc the earlier no paw fixes had something to do with the ram aswell. 
:)

Cevyn

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »
Interesting on the memory....A Google image search shows only Winbond chips, so perhaps recent builds have changed memory brands?

And a Google of Elpida brought up this which scares me:

http://www.elpida.com/en/products/counterfeit.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:36:32 pm by Cevyn »

eule

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »
Interesting on the memory....A Google image search shows only Winbond chips, so perhaps recent builds have changed memory brands?

And a Google of Elpida brought up this which scares me:

http://www.elpida.com/en/products/counterfeit.html
Whoa, that would be not good! How about sending them an email with a pic of the ram chips? If they are really fake ones, return it.  :)

Cevyn

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »
I think I will do just that!  I've popped it open again and took closeup pics of the memory and CPU:

EDIT: I've sent a pic of the memory to Elpida.  They're closed till Jan 3rd for Japanese holidays, so it may be a while :-(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:32:46 pm by Cevyn »

QBert

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 08:36:40 pm »
Were you able to install the dual boot firmware and load Dingux?

Cevyn

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 08:38:26 pm »
Not sure if I want to go there just yet.  At least it "sort of" works at the moment....and last thing I want to do is brick it and have that mess to deal with.

I'm going to anxiously await Elpida's response...Googling for the part number of the chip in my Dingoo is resulting in a ton of chinese listings, but Elpida doesn't list it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:46:03 pm by Cevyn »

Chris23235

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »
Did the homebrews ran with the original FW?

Cevyn

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »
Nope, problem existed...I initially put the new firmware on because of this issue.

I've been digging for info on my memory chips....I am certainly on the fence at this point about their authenticity based on what I've read.  *fingers crossed*
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:10:31 pm by Cevyn »

QBert

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 11:59:47 pm »
Not sure if I want to go there just yet.  At least it "sort of" works at the moment....and last thing I want to do is brick it and have that mess to deal with.

Good point. It's quite likely that these DINGOOGAME CPU systems will need an updated dual-boot installer and/or Dingux kernel. I'd expect this matter to be sorted out soon, at which point you should probably install dual-boot & Dingux.

It's not ethical to deprive your Dingoo of Dingux. Would you keep a dog chained up the backyard for its whole life? :)

woooozzaa

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 12:21:25 am »
Might be another unit like the one I have, exept mine is easy to recognize since it only has 2gb. No homebrew. Not even 7days and that's an official game lol. From what one of the resellers said here it seems like these models are intended for china only and not export.

QBert

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:02 am »
Might be another unit like the one I have, exept mine is easy to recognize since it only has 2gb. No homebrew. Not even 7days and that's an official game lol. From what one of the resellers said here it seems like these models are intended for china only and not export.

Good thinking, but Cevyn previously posted an image that shows his internal memory to be 4GB.

Just out of curiosity Cevyn, does your Dingoo have a serial number etched in the casing to the left of the usb port? If so, would you mind posting it?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic