Author Topic: Dingoo A320 with new LCD type (ILI9338)  (Read 13773 times)

no1 (OP)

Dingoo A320 with new LCD type (ILI9338)
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »
So, I just got this Dingoo. It seems to be pretty the same as other produced Dingoos.
The build quality is very good and solid, and there is almost no backlash between the buttons.
I don?t have an adaptor for MicroSD, but dualboot was installed successfully with updated dingux packs. (http://www.dingux.com/2011/04/support-added-for-new-lcd-type-ili9338.html)
So, it should run dingux with no problem.

The console was bought from pickegg.com, when it was promoted, so I payed just 55$ for it. (it feels like I?ve stolen it)
And everyone who has bought with me, seem to recieve the same ILI9338 model. But it?s out of stock on pickegg, anyway, so it?s not clear if this bunch was produced just to fullfill the orders or the Dingoo A320 is really back to production as booboo mentioned.

The only con I could point out is a lame screen.
It completely ruins gamma, so it?s very light, faded and a lot of colors cannot be seen. (I know about wrong horizontal alignment of vertical screen, but curving the edge of view doesn?t help much.)
So here are the comparison photos, yeah, when I curve it to the right it seems that color improves, but the image is near it?s collapse, the colors are inverting and so on. If you hold dingoo like a mobile phone with vertical align of the screen, the colors are remain faded.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:30:04 pm by sirrozha »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: Dingoo A320 with new LCD type (ILI9338)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »
Thank you very much for posting this information.

Does the Neo Geo emulator in native work without the pixelation issues that plagued HK A320's on games that utilised the camera zoom effect?

no1 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »
Frank_fjs, you are welcome.
I have never seen that issues. Any screenshots, descriptions for me to understand what exactly it was?
Maybe you will suggest any particular rom for me to test, that had that issues, and a rom, that didn?t?

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:14:56 pm »
If you haven't noticed it than it doesn't exist, which is great and means this is a genuine Dingoo Digital A320 - just wanted to make sure.

Dingoo Digital A320's do not exhibit the problem, it only appears on the Dingoo Technology knock-off Dingoo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKqGOmeauI

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:52 pm »
Is there a Dingux driver for this screen yet? That is: a zImage?
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

no1 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
Yes. I?ve posted a link above. But the kernel there is old.

no1 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:46:05 am »
I have tested ?Dingux? and ?Open Dingux?, both of them work flawlessly, so, feel free to buy this model if you want.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »
I have tested ?Dingux? and ?Open Dingux?, both of them work flawlessly, so, feel free to buy this model if you want.
With wich zImage? The ili9325_zImage or the ili9331_zImage?
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

no1 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:36:03 pm »
None of them. Ayla prepared OD for my LCD.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »
Who is Ayla and what is an OD?

zear

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:34:23 pm »
Who is Ayla and what is an OD?
Ayla is our fellow scene member and OD is short for OpenDinux, so a new linux port to the dingoo, Ayla and mth, among the others, are working on.

smida3

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:51 pm »
Hey I have a ILI9338 black and the screen seems to be in a pefect order
The colors are rigt and everything !
 ;D
NI !

K-77

• * Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 11:13:36 pm »
Hello everyone :) i have the dingoo with this screen too, but his suffer beacuse i was hotheaded and i was trying to flash the custom firmware without checking the ILI number in the end i've installed dingux but now my dingoo feels incomplete without native firmware. Could someone can obtain the proper driver from his dingoo please? I'm not the only one with this prob. You can be worthy for all new dingoo users:) Thanks with advance for any RE

DJ88

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »
I posted this in another topic, but I'm reposting here to show how bad the ILI9338 LCD is.

Here are some pics of the ILI9338 screen and how poor the colors are. I'm currently trying to return it, but it's pretty difficult with DX. If I can't I'll just have to sell it somewhere.

The Dingoo is on top and a real GBA is on bottom.

Here you can see that the letters in the text to the right are a completely different color than they should be, and you cannot see any of the details in the clouds on the bottom because the colors are too washed out.

In this one you can't see any of the details in the purple carpet which almost blends into the floor around it because it's so washed out. Compared to the real GBA where the colors and detail are perfect.

Last one and you can clearly see how different the colors are. Especially the brown which looks bright yellow on the Dingoo.

Really sucks because I was hyped about the Dingoo, but it looks like I'm going to be going the flash cart route for my GBA.

KFC

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 04:31:20 am »
Well, that kinda sucks.

I've just ordered mine on DX and really hope I don't get one with a shitty screen (but the chances seem high if the entire new batch does come with the new screen).

I was really excited about the Dingoo (price and form factor being the main reasons) and watched like every available hands-on video on youtube.  ;D

Critical question: According to the photos posted above, the issues with the new screen seem pretty severe to me - why should one bother getting a Dingoo then?

Are the good times over and the Dingoo felt back to being just another crappy china mp4 gadget?

I'll just wait for mine to arrive and go for a Caanoo if the screen sucks. :-(

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 06:11:19 am »
You can't see the real quality in pictures, when you're playing you're probably in a room with different light sources and with you're head, your hands and the dingoo in some angle.

The bad thing about the Dingoo (all the screens) is that it's a screen fliped to the left, it's not supposed to be used the way they used it, so you see better colors looking at it a little from the right (and worse looking at it from de left).

But after all it's not THAT bad, you will be able to play without problems and you'll only notice the difference comparing it side by side with a better screen.

DJ88

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 02:54:54 pm »
Nope, I saw the difference the instant I started a game on my dingoo for the very first time. I immediately noticed that colors were way off and details were washed out. The easiest thing I can compare it to are the old tv screens that when you adjusted brightness instead of increasing the backlight like TVs today, it would just add more white to the colors. You can see in the last screen how the bottom left corner just all blends into a white mesh. It has nothing to do with light sources, it looks like that anywhere. Those pictures were taken head on in a pitch black room. Yes, if you tilt it to the left like 45 degrees then the colors get a little better, but i'm not going to play holding it at an angle like that.

KFC

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 06:25:23 pm »
I got my Dingoo today from DX.

The build quality overall is ok.

Now for the bad part (I got the new screen):
I fired up some GBA Games and the colors are totally miserable.
Like DJ88 said: They're washed out and the saturation is way off.
This can't be the way it's meant to be played.
I then played some CPS1 / CPS2 games and it was better.
Not sure yet, but maybe the screen issues are more noticeable when playing gba games?

DJ88, do you have these color issue when you play CPS1 roms?

I'm gonna put dingux on the device and try the alternative gba emulator, gbSP.
If this doesn't resolve the (imho) severe screen issues I sell my dingoo and go for a caanoo.

What a bummer!

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »
I got my Dingoo today from DX.

The build quality overall is ok.

Now for the bad part (I got the new screen):
I fired up some GBA Games and the colors are totally miserable.
Like DJ88 said: They're washed out and the saturation is way off.
This can't be the way it's meant to be played.
I then played some CPS1 / CPS2 games and it was better.
Not sure yet, but maybe the screen issues are more noticeable when playing gba games?

DJ88, do you have these color issue when you play CPS1 roms?

I'm gonna put dingux on the device and try the alternative gba emulator, gbSP.
If this doesn't resolve the (imho) severe screen issues I sell my dingoo and go for a caanoo.

What a bummer!
I got one from DX too with the 9338 screen, but my colors in games don't seem to be washed out, although I'm primarily using Dingux and gnuboy, and just briefly ran gpsp with Summon Night...  Everything that I've tried looks as close as I remember from the NDS...  I could fire up originals of most of these and compare on GB/GBC/GBA(original with craptacularly dark/useless screen) but you're going to have to wait until I find/buy a batt charger and batts which is going to be a very low priority for me at the present time.

KFC

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:43 pm »
Maybe the color issue is limited to the native GBA emulator..
Have you tried playing some GBA games on native OS?  :)

For me, it's not important that I have a pixel/color perfect replica of an original gba/nds screen.
At the current state I can't seriously play gba games, a lot of details/textures are missing or to "bright".

I've played some GameGear / Genesis games and the colors *seem* to be ok.
But maybe that's just because those platforms use a more simple color palette.

In general, the screen is very bright and angle sensitive and not really comfortable to look at. :)
 - This isn't a rant, I know the dingoo is a cheap china gadget but I was expecting a bit more. (This thing has potential.)

Post a new topic