Author Topic: Dingoo A320 Hardware Modifications, Part 2: Tiny Screw as Reset Button  (Read 14719 times)

strider_mt2k (OP)

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
-=Thank you to the admins for helping me with these posts!=-

-=DISCLAIMER AND WARNING=-

• Hardware modifications WILL void your warranty.
  • Badly performed hardware modifications can void your Dingoo A320 -permanently. (that means broken for good)
  • Only attempt these modifications if you are experienced with electronics and/or can handle the potential heartbreak of killing your shiny toy.
  • Neither I, nor the administrators of this forum are responsible for any damage you do to your own Dingoo A320.
  • Your mileage may vary. Not all cars for use with all sets.

Early on in my Dingoo experience it became clear that a more convenient way of resetting the device is called for.
Sometimes you just need to reset the thing, and carrying a toothpick or searching for something isn't the way for me, nor will it do for others.
There have been posts online and on You Tube detailing this modification, but I have found a simpler approach:

It all starts with finding a tiny screw...that RIGHT tiny screw.
One that fits loosely in the reset button hole, has a flat head, and just enough length to not stick out too far.
(In a pinch you can use one of your Dingoo's screws until you find a slightly shorter one, or roll with that if you like.)

The Reset hole, NOT the Mic hole!

Inside view

Once you've located a screw that will work, simply insert it through the reset hole from the inside.

When re-assembled the reset button will secure the screw in place, but I wanted to secure it so it won't go flying, if/when I take my Dingoo apart again.
To secure the screw I cut a thin strip of electrical tape.

Then, careful to not accidentally cover the mic hole, I applied the tape over the head of the screw to secure it.

This is a shot my my modified Dingoo A320 showing the battery re-position, heat sink and reset button modifications.

It is true I accidentally killed my spare Dingoo in my research, but these mods are successful and the thing still works.
[SIDE NOTE 10/25/2009: The white Dingoo I used for development of the heat spreader and that I attempted to repair the card slot is in fact, alive.
I thought I had shorted something on re-assempbly but after going back and looking at things it turns out that I accidentally pinched one of the battery wires in such a way that it broke the conductors but was still hanging on by the insulation. The card slot repair was removed as part of the diagnostics to figure out why it stopped working after being re-assembled. I may return to the card slot repair in the future, and will post about it here if I do so.]

Those fellows at Radio Shack called me mad! MAD!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:12:31 pm by strider_mt2k »
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: Dingoo A320 Hardware Modifications, Part 2: Tiny Screw as Reset Button
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »
Another awesome post strider, very nice photos :D

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:37 pm »
yep, thanks a lot, really nice post ^^

Kronus

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
Really nice mod to the Dingoo strider +1 karma for you, I should post this at the news.

:)
"I'm happy to serve the Dingoo Community!"

Goon8

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:49:21 pm »
+karma for you! Excellent documentation and photos mate!

Just out of curiosity how exactly did you kill your spare dingoo?  :-X

quadomatic

• DingooWiki Admin
    • Dingoonity
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:17 am »
yeah, I also want to know why your last one broke...

strider_mt2k (OP)

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »
I tucked a notation into the body of my post but here it is again:

" [SIDE NOTE 10/25/2009: The white Dingoo I used for development of the heat spreader and that I attempted to repair the card slot is in fact, alive.

I thought I had shorted something on re-assembly but after going back and looking at things it turns out that I accidentally pinched one of the battery wires in such a way that it broke the conductors but was still hanging on by the insulation.

The card slot repair was removed as part of the diagnostics to figure out why it stopped working after being re-assembled.
I may return to the card slot repair in the future, and will post about it here if I do so.]"

So it's not dead, but the card slot isn't repaired either. It's a native-OS running cardless Dingoo, but quite alive.
(Actually I put a heat sink on it before I closed it up, since it heats up doing normal stuff anyway.)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

david432111

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:19:44 pm »
Nice mod! It's easy to do and very functional.

Skyline969

Pardon the necropost, but I was attempting this with a small screw (one that came out of a rumble pack for a DS Lite that I got with my M3 Real), and although the head was only maybe 0.3mm thick I could not put the case back on with the screw in the reset pinhole. I thought it was just that the screw had fallen in partially when I was putting on the case, but I even taped the screw in and got the same result. Is that too thick of a screw head, or am I just doing something wrong?

eule

I used a screw from the Dingoo itself, and it was quite hard to close the Dingoo too. Try to rasp the head a bit with an iron file.

Skyline969

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:37:37 pm »
The head of the screw I'm using it maybe half the thickness of a Dingoo's. Hm... I guess I'll have to file it down a little bit. When yours was filed down to size, was it still hard to close the case?

eule

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »
I didn?t file it, i pushed a bit and it finally closed. Hold the screw in place from outside the Dingoo to not hurt the reset button and you should be able to close the case.  :)

Skyline969

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 10:09:08 pm »
Alright, I'll try again later once I file down the screw head a tiny bit. I'll try to wedge the case open a little while putting pressure to close it. I guess it didn't help that I had someone hovering over my shoulder and telling me to hurry so we could go out to lunch. However, once I'm alone and have patience to do it I should be able to pull it off. Thanks for the info eule.