Author Topic: Guide - Flashing custom firmwares to your Dingoo  (Read 80170 times)

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: Guide - Flashing custom firmwares to your Dingoo
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:15 am »
I'm confused.

You keep saying 16-bit, but there is no way my computer can produce a 16-bit color image. Even when I download the "bye.BMP" that was posted here, it still says 24-bit.

In Corel Photo-paint 11 under Windows XP, the only 16 bit option is a "16-bit greyscale".
Even when I click properties on the image in Windows Explorer, the file manager summery says that the image is 24-bit color.
When I add my own custom 24-bit BMPs to a firmware, it flashes fine.

???

In Photoshop and many good graphics applications you can save as 16-bit. BMP can be saved as 16, 24, and 32-bit.

http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/bitmaps/

As you will see on this page,
16 bit RGB

This is generally a direct system with 5 bits per colour component and a 1 bit alpha channel.

Throughout the firmware (for menu resources/backgrounds) you can use 24-bit PNG with alpha-transparancy (nice smooth see-through bits, with anti-aliased edges). For some parts of the firmware, such as the folder/filetype icons, you need to use 8-bit PNG with a #ff00ff mask where you want them to be see-through (this isn't smooth, and has blocky edges).

From my experience the bootscreen/shutdown screen have had to always be 16-bit BMP. This could be a filesize limitation rather than a palette limitation, but either way, the 16-bit is going to be a smaller filesize, so if you can do it that way it is a good idea.

There are some examples of different bit-depth BMPs on this page - http://wvnvms.wvnet.edu/vmswww/bmp.html

You should be able to notice the difference between the 16-bit and 24-bit BMP examples, most notably in the white>black gradient.

MSPaint adds to the confusion about bit-depth because it uses a stupid naming convention for the types of BMP you can make:

Code: [Select]
Monochrome Bitmap = 1-bit
16 Color Bitmap = 4-bit
256 Color Bitmap = 8-bit
24-bit Bitmap = 24-bit

And then ofcourse you have the largely compressed JPEG on MSPaint which is no good for anything, and the largely under-compressed raw 24-bit PNG on MSPaint which produces files too large to be used practically.

So there you go, a computer can produce a 16-bit color BMP image, you just need the correct software for it. I personally use Adobe Photoshop CS3.

A free alternative to Photoshop would be The Gimp, which lets you save 16-bit BMP files just fine. Don't be confused by the number of 16-bit options it gives you, the one we're interested in is the 16-bit RGB 565 option, which is the standard 16-bit.

When choosing to save a file as BMP in The Gimp, just click the little 'Advanced Options' toggle, and you will be able to pick the correct bit depth.

It's all too easy to forget that 15 years ago, our computers used to have 2MB onboard video and could output at a maximum of [email protected] "High color"!   :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:08:13 pm by omgmog »

joepie91

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 05:05:55 pm »
So there you go, a computer can produce a 16-bit color BMP image, you just need the correct software for it. I personally use Adobe Photoshop CS3.
Hmm, that's what I did in my custom firmware, using Photoshop CS3, yet it bricked my Dingoo.
What are the settings you need to use in CS3 in order to not brick it? :P

Also, sorry for the double post. I usually hate it when people doublepost, and I didn't notice that I had already replied earlier :P

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 06:58:39 pm »

If you enable 'Advanced Modes' on the BMP Options dialogue, you can select R5G6B5 mode, this should work.

NinJato

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 02:39:21 am »
Thanx!  :)

Here is the "final" version of the English Translations.
I translated everything that Dingoo Patcher v0.6 (hxftool.exe), would allow.

Notes:
Menu sub-headings get cut off after 13 characters.
"About" Text is limited to 34 characters (30 characters will look centered)

Personalize your Firmware:
Add your name or phone number to the "Version" line (34 char. max. & 30 centered)
...if your dingoo gets stolen, it won't be easy for them to get rid of it.

;D

http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt

Edit:
The "absolute" final version of the English translations says "Final Version" at the top of the text file.

;D

Edit-Edit:
Kalisiin - "Imagine making a police report that someone stole your "Dingoo..."  ROFL!!!"
NinJato - "Officer... I was playing with my Dingoo all day yesturday, but when I woke up this morning it was gone..."   :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:21:40 am by NinJato »

Kalisiin

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 04:23:40 am »
Thanx!  :)

Here is the "final" version of the English Translations.

Notes:
Menu sub-headings get cut off after 13 characters.
"About" Text is limited to 34 characters (30 characters will look centered)

Personalize your Firmware:
Add your name or phone number to the "Version" line (34 char. max. & 30 centered)
...if your dingoo gets stolen, it won't be easy for them to get rid of it.

;D

http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt

Imagine making a police report that someone stole your "Dingoo..."  ROFL!!!

gunther_sucks

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:10 am »
SUCCESS! Alright, after lots of hair pulling I finally was able to update my Firmware! Turns out I had two problems:

1. I wasn't running Vista as an admin
2. When I edited the firmware with the hxf editer would brick my dingoo

My solution? Take your custom firmware and throw on my own bootscreen!  I'll admit I was really disheartened when I spent 30 mins typing in language corrections and then my firmware wouldn't boot.

Thanks for the guide omgomg! And thanks shanti for the vista help!

Nickeng

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:09 am »
I am having trouble flashing 1.20 on to a 1.1 A320.

I followed the guide on page one using a .hxf file modified to correct the Engrish..

Copied that to the root and rebooted holding down "down"

I got the installing... screen and it rebooted to the "paws" and stayed there

I waited and no joy

I have not installed the un bricking tools and the USB driver : Jz4740 USB Boot device

I have fired up the flashing firmware tool, picked a LCD file (had to guess) and the original unmodified .hxf

Rebooted holding down B and clicked fstart flash, I get two lines on the flashing tool..

Device 2a4: ϵͳ??¼??ʼ...
Device 2a4: ???ڸ?ʽ??????..

and there it just sits, the LCD screen had gone grey with like moving horizontal lines...

Any one have any ideas how i fix this ?

please..

Nickeng

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 12:49:42 am »

I followed the guide on page one using a .hxf file modified to correct the Engrish..

I waited and no joy

I have not installed the un bricking tools and the USB driver : Jz4740 USB Boot device

I have fired up the flashing firmware tool, picked a LCD file (had to guess) and the original unmodified .hxf

Rebooted holding down B and clicked fstart flash, I get two lines on the flashing tool..

and there it just sits, the LCD screen had gone grey with like moving horizontal lines...

please..

OK made some progress, managed to get ride of the grey screen with moving lines, I had the wrong LCD driver needed the newer one (?) 9331.

When i go into reboot with B down i can see the a320 in windows devices (xp) if i use the bricker tool, pick the 0331 driver and the 1.2 original  hxf file the a320 says "Firmware Upgrading...". In devmgmt.msc the device for it gets a yellow icon and the broker tool says:

Device 14c: ϵͳ??¼??ʼ...
Device 14c: ???ڸ?ʽ??????..

No other lines showing, is it stalling ?

I have waited for 15+ minutes...

joepie91

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 12:53:12 am »

I waited and no joy

please..

OK made some progress, managed to get ride of the grey screen with moving lines, I had the wrong LCD driver needed the newer one (?) 9331.

When i go into reboot with B down i can see the a320 in windows devices (xp) if i use the bricker tool, pick the 0331 driver and the 1.2 original  hxf file the a320 says "Firmware Upgrading...". In devmgmt.msc the device for it gets a yellow icon and the broker tool says:

It may take a looooong time to upgrade your firmware. If it DOES display "Upgrading firmware" on the screen, that means it's either very very busy, or it hangs. If it hangs, I have no clue what to do :(

Nickeng

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 01:10:11 am »

I waited and no joy

please..

It may take a looooong time to upgrade your firmware. If it DOES display "Upgrading firmware" on the screen, that means it's either very very busy, or it hangs. If it hangs, I have no clue what to do :(

OK made progress, turned it off and that made it come up as normal windows drivers for the internal and minisd Card.

I copied over a 1.1 chinese firmware and rebooted holding down 'down', that installed and rebooted into chinese !

Plugged in USB and copied over 1.2 by Pof and rebooted and that installed and i can access it again..

Deep joy.

Hope all this rambling helps anyone else whos stuck !!

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:45 pm »
The problem sounded like you had probably enabled custom themes support, so when it was sat on the paw screen you needed to copy over the /SYSTEM/ directory to your internal flash.

Nickeng

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 05:48:41 pm »
The problem sounded like you had probably enabled custom themes support, so when it was sat on the paw screen you needed to copy over the /SYSTEM/ directory to your internal flash.

OK interesting point - that did probably happen.

Thanks for the tip.

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »
That?s the same thing that happened to me, sorry for the confusion i started back then.  :)

NinJato

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »
I have spent the last two months learning all I can about the Dingoo and the available software (...and sorting ROMs). I have flashed my test Dingoo over 50 times trying to make it "perfect". I have had my 16GB Micro SD for a week now and triple checked all the English... Last changes: "Browser" to "Explorer" and ">" to "->".

My Dingoo: 3.5GB free Internal Memory and only 530MB left on the 16GB SD Card  :P
FW Ver. 1.2-POV with default "paw" boot screens and English (http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt).
My own custom "Frankentheme" (Windows XP Theme, with Mac Menu Icons and iTouch Sub-menu Icons).
All the latest Dingoo Emulators, Applications and Jungletac ROMs.

Capcom, NeoGeo, GBoy Advanced, Super NES, NES and Sega GameGear ROMs on the SD Card.

Dingux (dual-boot):
Methane Bros, gChess, Mancala
Wolf3D, Doom, Duke3D
MAME, Sega Genesis, Turbo GRFX-16
Calculator, Write

...would... you... like... to... Play... A... Game?

;D

Special thanks to omgmog and Dingoonity for all the information on customizing firmware!  8)

Edit:
I just flashed my 4th Dingoo and noticed one last bit of Engrish (figures... as soon as you're done the last one, you see a mistake :P ).

Open Slideshow changed to Start Slideshow

Translations.TXT updated (hopefully for the last time), on December 2nd, 2009.
 :o
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:43:51 pm by NinJato »

Kalisiin

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »
I have spent the last two months learning all I can about the Dingoo and the available software (...and sorting ROMs). I have flashed my test Dingoo over 50 times trying to make it "perfect". I have had my 16GB Micro SD for a week now and triple checked all the English... Last changes: "Browser" to "Explorer" and ">" to "->".

My Dingoo: 3.5GB free Internal Memory and only 530MB left on the 16GB SD Card  :P
FW Ver. 1.2-POV with default "paw" boot screens and English (http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt).
My own custom "Frankentheme" (Windows XP Theme, with Mac Menu Icons and iTouch Sub-menu Icons).
All the latest Dingoo Emulators, Applications and Jungletac ROMs.

Capcom, NeoGeo, GBoy Advanced, Super NES, NES and Sega GameGear ROMs on the SD Card.

Dingux (dual-boot):
Methane Bros, gChess, Mancala
Wolf3D, Doom, Duke3D
MAME, Sega Genesis, Turbo GRFX-16
Calculator, Write

...would... you... like... to... Play... A... Game?

;D

Special thanks to omgmog and Dingoonity for all the information on customizing firmware!  8)

Nice!

I feel ya on the "sorting ROMS" thing...I have been doing that about since I got the Dingoo...I'm near the end of what has been a very time consuming task now, and should finish with over 1000 games I actually like and may even play on my system...and almost none that I would never play.

In fact, if I can be 100 percent sure on how to get rid of games I do not want on dingux, I'd get rid of the ones I don't want there, like Doom.

It seems to me that if you alter the dmenu.cfg file, and then take out the entire game's file, that should permanently remove unwanted built-in games from the dingoo, but I'm not willing to risk that until I have a full backup of everything else done first.

Kalisiin

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 09:58:47 am »
OK, I'm just a bit confuzzed here.

If you use only the HXFTool to customize...then your Dingux flash remains intact...otherwise if you use your burning tool, then you'd have to re-flash Dingux again, too?

If you can use just the HFXTool...does this allow for then custom themes on the Dingoo, so that you could, say, use the Windows 7 theme?

I'm just not sure about this.

Basically all I really want, more than anything, is to fix the rotten English, and make it into real English.

Nickeng

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 10:19:46 am »

If you use only the HXFTool to customize...then your Dingux flash remains intact...otherwise if you use your burning tool, then you'd have to re-flash Dingux again, too?

If you can use just the HFXTool...does this allow for then custom themes on the Dingoo, so that you could, say, use the Windows 7 theme?

Basically all I really want, more than anything, is to fix the rotten English, and make it into real English.

I dont use Dingux , but with the HXFTool you can enable support for custom themes and use the Windows 7 theme (i use this) and same time you can replace the 'engrish'.

We 'all' really need to lobby Dingoo and get them to accept a community supplied English language text options file and have them intergrate it into the next firmware release. Surely this cant be that hard to do ?

I also used this as a basis: http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt.

How do we get them to update the next firmware?

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 10:22:25 pm »

Yes, the firmware burning tool will wipe out the Dingux boot stuff from your Dingoo (it won't touch your SD card), so you will simply have to reinstall the Dingux boot loader after you flash a custom firmware with the firmware burning tool. Alternatively, you could try installing a custom firmware (such as the Dingoonity 1.2 cfw) using the regular upgrade method.

Kalisiin

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 05:21:10 am »

Yes, the firmware burning tool will wipe out the Dingux boot stuff from your Dingoo (it won't touch your SD card), so you will simply have to reinstall the Dingux boot loader after you flash a custom firmware with the firmware burning tool. Alternatively, you could try installing a custom firmware (such as the Dingoonity 1.2 cfw) using the regular upgrade method.

Dingoonity 1.2 won't screw up Dingux, then?  Can you use HXFTool with that...or is there some other way to get custom bootup screens on that?

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 02:41:44 pm »
Dingoonity 1.2 won't screw up Dingux, then?  Can you use HXFTool with that...or is there some other way to get custom bootup screens on that?

As I said, if you install a custom firmware by upgrade (a320.hxf on root of internal flash, boot while holding down on d-pad) it won't alter the Dingux boot. In some cases though this method doesn't work, so you would have to use the firmware flasher (firmware burner... whatever you want to call it), which would overwrite the Dingux boot files, so they would need to be reinstalled to your Dingoo afterwards.

Dingoonity cfw 1.2 works fine with the firmware editor, providing you make the images exactly how I say to in this very guide.