Author Topic: Benefits to hacking the firmware?  (Read 5358 times)

animeman14

Benefits to hacking the firmware?
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:37:02 am »
Greetings all,

I am hopefully getting my Dingoo in the mail sometime next week. I am already set on getting Dingux on my Dingoo, however I'm trying to weigh the benefits on toying with the firmware.

I just wanted to know.. What are the benefits, other than just messing with themes, filenames, etc.? I don't believe I care enough to change the appearance, as I'll mostly be toying around in Dingux, as opposed to the native firmware. Seeing as how there is risk of bricking involved, all to just change a theme or two, I don't see it being particularly worth it for me.

If anyone can shed light on this for me, I would MUCHO appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:41:06 am by animeman14 »

Skyline969

Re: Benefits to hacking the firmware?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:42:49 am »
Custom firmware isn't really worth your time. Like you said, all it offers is custom themes, changing names of things, and it also gives you a custom boot/shutoff screen. Dingux, however, is VERY worth it as you get a LOT more emulators and homebrew. Dingux is also very easy to install and there's a low chance of bricking if you know what you're doing, or at least if you can follow directions to the letter.

animeman14

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:54:03 am »
Thx for the speedy reply Sky. Yeah, I'm def going to tinker with Dingux quite a bit. I figure I wouldn't want to waste my time with the native firmware when I could be using all that time on Dingux. I just didn't want to install stuff in the native firmware, only for me to later realize that I want to flash it for some custom stuff.

I already feel like I know Dingux better than some people here, and I don't even have a Dingoo yet!  :D jk guys lol

madhatter

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:51:12 am »
just make sure to install the firmware that fixes the x+y bug

Skyline969

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:36:29 am »
Chances are if you recently ordered your Dingoo, firmware 1.2 will come on it. It did for me when I ordered mine from ShopTemp. Anyways, the only thing I use native firmware for is media playback (only because I haven't played in Dingux long enough to find a good media player) and GBA and NES playback (gpSP has no filtering, and the games look fairly blocky and ugly... and I just didn't try the NES emulators because the native one is perfect). Anything else, Dingux takes the cake. You won't be disappointed tinkering with this little baby.

animeman14

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:29:41 am »
Chances are if you recently ordered your Dingoo, firmware 1.2 will come on it. It did for me when I ordered mine from ShopTemp. Anyways, the only thing I use native firmware for is media playback (only because I haven't played in Dingux long enough to find a good media player) and GBA and NES playback (gpSP has no filtering, and the games look fairly blocky and ugly... and I just didn't try the NES emulators because the native one is perfect). Anything else, Dingux takes the cake. You won't be disappointed tinkering with this little baby.
Ahhh... so I don't have to worry about fixing the Y+B bug with 1.2? I too ordered from ShopTemp. Are you from the states? If so, how long did it take for you to receive shipment?

Once again, thanks for all your prompt replies, folks.

Skyline969

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 04:46:33 am »
Ahhh... so I don't have to worry about fixing the Y+B bug with 1.2? I too ordered from ShopTemp. Are you from the states? If so, how long did it take for you to receive shipment?

Once again, thanks for all your prompt replies, folks.

Yeah, my Dingoo from ShopTemp had 1.2 already installed. And no, I'm from Canada. Either way, it took me about 2 weeks to get my Dingoo, so for you it'll be sooner or the same amount of time.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic