• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Why A320 so popular?  (Read 6441 times)

eltehero (OP)

Why A320 so popular?
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:33:52 am »
Emulation devices from china are usually frowned upon due to poor controls and other issues. The Dingoo A320 seemed to be an exception to this and was loved by so many. Slaanesh is even going to release another version of mame for it even though more powerful emulation handhelds are available

I have a new one sitting in my drawer which I have never used. Just want to know why this particular device was so popular?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:59:10 am by van denhawk »

logfrog

Re: Why A320 so popular?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:16 am »
I think it's because they're simple and considered to 'just work' despite their low specifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

streeker

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:00:29 pm »
I love the concept of emulators being triggered by file extensions. Thus I can just pick my preferred versions of multi-platform games, have them all in ONE place and can select them using ONE interface, without having to launch a specific emulator first. Simple idea, but it rocks!

So, on the whole, while I have complete system libraries on my SD card, the "GAME" folder serves as a cross-platform pool just for favourites. I like it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:33:29 pm by streeker »

joyeux

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »
Well, I can't really compare it to newer devices like the GCW0 because I have my A320 since 2011, and it is still working great. This is a notable indicative of its longevity. The battery is still great after all these years. Since I like old systems [Atari 2600, SMS, MD, SNES, CPS, SNK, etc.), Dingoo has a very nice set of emulators (native or dingux). The controls are fine and the native menu is great. It connects to TV. The music player has a very good equalizer. The controls are good and the LCD screen may not be the best but it is very acceptable.
"Life is a dream, and it's morning for you."

- Wan Fu

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:17:24 pm »
For me, it was the first cheap chinese console I could find that did SNES OKish.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:33:10 pm »
In terms of bang-for-buck I think the Dingoo A320 is one of the best.

* Fast CPU and enough RAM (just).
* Excellent screen
* Good controller/buttons
* Excellent battery life
* Great SDK and toolchain support

My feeling is that MAME4ALL runs overall the best on this device when compared to other handhelds in the same class.

The new MAME4ALL is not far away!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:34:48 pm by slaanesh »

eltehero (OP)

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:02:20 pm »

Looking forward to it. Many Thanks Slaanesh. Which other handhelds will get a new mame4all?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:08:22 pm by van denhawk »

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:08:39 pm »

Looking forward to it. Many Thanks Slaanesh. Which other handhelds will get a new mame4all?

Many.

I have builds for:

GP2X
Wiz
GCW-0
Pandora
Dingoo A320
Gemei A330
Ben Nanonote

I wanted to add Sony PSP as I love that handheld thanks to its controls - but will add this later.
I wonder how it's slower clock speed will fare? How comparable is PSP vs Dingoo A320 in a pure CPU Mhz comparison?
The PSP supports MIPS32r2 whilst Dingoo A320 is only MIP32. Will be interesting.

I work alot on the GP2X thanks to its awesomely easy dev environment. The GCW-0 and Pandora and Ben are also excellent in this regard. Especially the GCW-0 which is very Window's friendly which suits me fine. I dev on a Mac but it's almost always running Windows.
Debugging is not as easy on the A320 and A330 but can be worked around.

The last thing I want to add is specific for the Dingoo A320 - hardware scaling. It's no where as straight forward as on the Gemei A330 as it can only use YUV instead of RGB colorspace. MAME only used RGB. But I think when this is done the Dingoo A320 may have the best "bang for buck" MAME4ALL of all.

Maybe I can name it's version "MAME4ALLOFALL"? :)

eltehero (OP)

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:31 am »

Many.

I have builds for:

GP2X
Wiz
GCW-0
Pandora
Dingoo A320
Gemei A330
Ben Nanonote

I wanted to add Sony PSP as I love that handheld thanks to its controls - but will add this later.
I wonder how it's slower clock speed will fare? How comparable is PSP vs Dingoo A320 in a pure CPU Mhz comparison?
The PSP supports MIPS32r2 whilst Dingoo A320 is only MIP32. Will be interesting.

I work alot on the GP2X thanks to its awesomely easy dev environment. The GCW-0 and Pandora and Ben are also excellent in this regard. Especially the GCW-0 which is very Window's friendly which suits me fine. I dev on a Mac but it's almost always running Windows.
Debugging is not as easy on the A320 and A330 but can be worked around.

The last thing I want to add is specific for the Dingoo A320 - hardware scaling. It's no where as straight forward as on the Gemei A330 as it can only use YUV instead of RGB colorspace. MAME only used RGB. But I think when this is done the Dingoo A320 may have the best "bang for buck" MAME4ALL of all.

Maybe I can name it's version "MAME4ALLOFALL"? :)

Amazing. A lot of handhelds are getting the new mame, but sadly no Caanoo version :( ,but still great support and much appreciated  :)

When will the new mame4all be released?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:00:08 am by van denhawk »

dingooforever

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:27:48 am »
Hi slaanesh,

any news of XMAME for Pandora and Raspberry Pi?

Are you also interested in porting a new updated FBA for Dingoo and other opensources devices? I read FBA team will most likely fully support TAITO F3, DECO32 and maybe SEIBU SPI arcade system boards in next official FBA release.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:44:51 am »
Sorry I've been concentrating on Dingoo A320 and Gemei A330 the last few months.

I haven't forgotten about the Pandora and GCW-0 though!

I've always wanted to add hardware scaling to the Dingoo A320 so have done that for MAME now.
Just finishing it off.

As for TAITO F3 and DECO32 these are already supported by the GCW-0 version of XMAME.

And I have an updated version of XMAME that has even better support for both of these... which is unreleased as yet.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:46:59 am by slaanesh »

dingooforever

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:21 am »
Sorry I've been concentrating on Dingoo A320 and Gemei A330 the last few months.

I haven't forgotten about the Pandora and GCW-0 though!

I've always wanted to add hardware scaling to the Dingoo A320 so have done that for MAME now.
Just finishing it off.

As for TAITO F3 and DECO32 these are already supported by the GCW-0 version of XMAME.

And I have an updated version of XMAME that has even better support for both of these... which is unreleased as yet.

Wonderful!

Release date for Mame4all and X-Mame?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic