Author Topic: Getting a Dingoo A320 for Quake development  (Read 3472 times)

mankrip (OP)

Getting a Dingoo A320 for Quake development
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:44 am »
Hello. I am the developer of Makaqu, a Quake port for Windows and Sega Dreamcast.

I once had a Dingoo A320, and I want to port my engine to it, but my A320 broke. I tried buying a new one on eBay, but once the seller shipped it he found out that it couldn't be sent to Brazil because of the internal battery. It seems that only private couriers like DHL will carry such items, but anything sent through private couriers always get heavily taxed (60% over both the package and the shipping values), so the cost would be prohibitive.

However, the battery in my broken A320 is still perfect, so I don't need a whole new A320. A fully functional A320 without a battery would be enough, so I can just solder the battery from my old one into it.

The prices of the Dingoo A320 in Brazil are absurd, and it's hard to find an used one that doesn't have something broken.

Anyway, this is not urgent. Right now I'm out of money to buy another A320, but I'd like to get one in about two months. This should also give me enough time to iron out some more bugs and make the C version of the code (including the Dreamcast version) stable again and release a new version. If by then someone could sell me an A320 and ship it through USPS or any other public postal service, it would be great.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:16:19 am by mankrip »
Makaqu engine blog / website.

RodrigoCard

• Mac Joystick Apps
Re: Getting a Dingoo A320 for Quake development
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:11:41 am »
any news about that? :)

mankrip (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:36 am »
I'll blog about it later, but the lack of floating point instructions on the A320's CPU makes it extremely hard.

The current Quake port for Dingux is actually a port of PocketQuake, and in PocketQuake almost the whole source code was duplicated, with workarounds for floating point arithmetic being included everywhere.

Makaqu is also heavily modified, with many features (re)written from scratch, and all of its modifications would also have to go through the same process.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
Getting a Dingoo A320 for Quake development
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:26 am »
Have a look at Quake for the GP2X which had floating point maths replaced with fixed point.

mankrip (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:08:50 am »
That's also included in the code of the current Dingux port of Quake.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic