Author Topic: Freeze issue with new manufactured Dingoo's and three emu's  (Read 13611 times)

MiltonB

Freeze issue with new manufactured Dingoo's and three emu's
« on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:26 am »
OK, bear with me .....

I have tested this extensively, and I have no answers. I do not claim that my assumptions are 100% correct. I will explain this the best I can.

I have a brand new Dingoo that would lock up sporadically. After much testing, I discovered that only the following emu's were affected: GNUBOY, SmsGGOO, and LynGOO. Any game would launch and play fine. Exiting the game also presented no problems. When ANY game from ANY emu was launched after this, the Dingoo would freeze on the menu of games (roms). A hard reset was the only option at this point. I then verified that this was happening on each of three brand new Dingoo's. I tried the following:

Changed firmware from latest Custom to Official 1.1
Reformatted the entire 4GB, and recopied the data from a verified good source
Reloaded roms from a known "good" set
Tried every custom and official FW I could find
Re-Downloaded Emu's

This unit did not have Dingux or any type of dual boot.

While on the Dingoo-Scene, a genius named Shred asked "Do you have an old or new Dingoo?" He then discussed the old units having a paw print on the back, and the newer manufactured units having no paw print on back. I discovered that these all had no paw print, and were newer. I pulled out an older unit I purchased used that had a paw print, and loaded the exact data that was not working properly on the other units. Everything worked fine.

I then began testing every variable I could. I took my current data backup and applied it to the following scenarios:

1) Older Unit with Official 1.1
2) Older Unit with latest custom FW
3) Newer unit with Official 1.1
4) Newer Unit with latest custom FW
5) Older Unit with Dingux and dual boot (Official 1.1)
5) Older Unit with Dingux and dual boot (Custom FW)
5) Newer Unit with Dingux and dual boot (Official 1.1)
5) Newer Unit with Dingux and dual boot (Custom FW)

All older units worked fine with these emu's, ALL newer units locked up upon exiting.

It is my belief that these emu's are not functioning properly with ANY newer manufactured units. I would LOVE if others could confirm or deny this.

Yes, I am new here, this is my first post. I am only stating my experience so that it may help someone else that spent the time I did trying to figure out if it was operator error. I am forever grateful to the hero's that create these emu's. Hopefully, this may provide them with something they were unaware of.

And yes, I still love my dingoo....

EDIT: The following Emu's work fine in both models: ColeCOO, CPS1, CPS2, GBA, MVS, NES

EDIT 2: FW 1.2 did not help in any of the situations
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:15:28 pm by MiltonB »

Goon8

Re: Freeze issue with new manufactured Dingoo's and three emu's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:09:19 am »
I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I did read that GNUBOY, SmsGGOO, and LynGOO are all based on the same piece of reverse engineered code, which allegedly may have a memory leak, or not be closing all handles on exit. This was mentioned in the Lyngoo thread, I think.

There's a new firmware out which so far is completely undocumented and may (OR may not!) resolve your problems. It's available for download HERE Thanks to kswildside.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:01:29 am by Goon »

phipscube

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:46:34 am »
I have an early release White Dingoo with Paw print. I have noticed problems with SmsGGoo where is freezes sometimes and I have to hard reset the machine. Also, sometimes when i've quit out of a game, I cannot load another from ANY emu, it simply flicks black screen for a second then dumps me back to the games directory list. I had played SmsGGoo, then finished a game, then flicked over to my SNES games and this problem first happened. At first I thought it was an issue with the SNES emu but after a hard reset and trying again on SNES everything was cool.  Then later I played SmsGGoo again, and after a few games it did it again. Only thing to do is hard reset. Not 100% sure if this is a related issue, i've not played Lyngoo or GNUBOY as much....

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:52:42 am »

EDIT: The following Emu's work fine in both models: ColeCOO, CPS1, CPS2, GBA, MVS, NES
Really strange that ColeCOO works fine and not SmsGGOO because i'm using the same entry point ...
I Will try to investigate what are the others differences...

MiltonB

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:18:39 pm »
I just confirmed with Justin from Dingoo Digital USA that he has replicated the same issue on his new units. He is checking to see what the deal is.

kswildside

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:19:54 am »
Well here is a tested look at the new NON PAW Print Dingoo A320 I will first start with the Applications and the default
emulators the dingoo comes with and move on from there to Community made emulators.

1. Went into applications picked Mushroom Roulette played once exited and went to play again the A320 freezes in game list.
   Tried again same result so Mushroom Roulette does not work on the new non paw print A320.

2. Went into applications picked SameGoo played two levels and exited then went to again SameGoo loaded again with no problems
   and no freezing.

3. Went into applications picked a Dingoo Game Nose Breaker played two rounds and exited then went to again NoseBreaker
   loaded again with no problems and no freezing.

4. Went to GooPlayer picked a *.Ogg file played and went to select another program freezes. Also hard reset and went into
   GooPlayer again and exited freezes in the app/game list selection window.

After Playing all the Dingoo native emulators none of them locked up or froze on me.

although GBC.SIM did lock up several times but that is a 760 ported emulator...

Ok now on to the Community made emulators first up is drum roll please...

LynGOO.SIM

1. Loaded up Chopper.lnx played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.
2. Lodead up Frogger.lnx played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

ColeCOO.SIM

1. Loaded up Wrongway.col played a round or two exited went into game again no problems works
2. Then loaded kevtris.col played a round or two exited went into game again no problems works

So ding ding one round that actually the emulator works and doesn't freeze up

GNUBOY.SIM

1. Loaded up a Gameboy game Adjustris.gb played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

2. Loaded up a Gameboy game boxing.gb Loaded up the Gameboy game

3. Loaded up a GameBoy Color Game CrazyZone.GBC played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

4. Loaded up a GameBoy Color Game Whackemon.gbc played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

SmsGGOO.SIM

1. Loaded up a SMS Game BlockHead.sms played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

2. Loaded up a SMS Game Robbyie.sms played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

3. Loaded up a Game Gear Tween.gg played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

4. Loaded up a Game Gear Columns played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

DOOENGINE.SIM

1. Loaded up a PCE Game Pacu.pce played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

2. Loaded up a PCE Game Centipide.pce played a round or two exited went to load it again froze in game list.

This concludes our broadcasting day of the dreaded dingoo a320 with no paw print and how it locks up and freezes and requires a
hard rest.

bnolsen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:15:39 am »
I was seriously considering geting one of these when I got back to the states but now...
So whats different about these new dingoos?  Did they screw up the hardware somehow?

abhoriel

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:25:56 am »
I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I did read that GNUBOY, SmsGGOO, and LynGOO are all based on the same piece of reverse engineered code, which allegedly may have a memory leak, or not be closing all handles on exit. This was mentioned in the Lyngoo thread, I think.

There's a new firmware out which so far is completely undocumented and may (OR may not!) resolve your problems. It's available for download HERE Thanks to kswildside.

Good luck!

that sounds like it makes sense, do you know where you obtained this piece of information from?
thanks

Kalisiin

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:28:18 am »
Well, I have updated to V 1.2 I can try something in LYNGOO and see if it works.

EDIT: Well, I don't have a lot of Lynx games yet, but tried, several times, to freeze it, while playing Joust, and no freeze.

Incidentally, would love to know where anyone got a Frogger file for Lynx, I can't find one listed anywhere!!  (No I'm not actually requesting ROM's here...just saying...I can't find one, didn't even know they made one.  If it's out there, I'll find it on my own.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:52:39 am by Kalisiin »

kswildside

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 04:56:09 pm »
Try Atari age

Kalisiin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 07:09:25 pm »
Try Atari age

Tried.  No Frogger there, either. :(
I have never seen "Frogger" listed in any list of games for the Lynx. 
Pity, I love Frogger.

QBert

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:52 pm »
There's a new firmware out which so far is completely undocumented and may (OR may not!) resolve your problems.

I upgraded my (non-pawprint) Dingoo using firmware 1.2-fof, and I'm still getting freezing on the latest Gnuboy, SMSGGOO and Lyngoo.

All of those emulators run fine after a fresh boot, but will crash if you exit and select another ROM.

Colecoo v3.1 works fine.

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:06:06 am »
ok, here is a new try, tell me if it's better : http://www.portabledev.com/temp/SmsGGOOV31.SIM

I found "one malloc that was not free ", so i free it when i leave smsggoo now.

rip

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »
ok, here is a new try, tell me if it's better : http://www.portabledev.com/temp/SmsGGOOV31.SIM

Hi,

This version is Ok. No more freeze. Many Thanks.

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:20:07 pm »
Hi,

Really, :P  :) ;D  someone else can confirm that smsggoo v3.1 is ok to have more than  one test ?
If so, i think we have found the problem. DON'T FORGET TO FREE THE MALLOC THINGS !!!

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 03:36:57 pm »
Hi,

Really, :P  :) ;D  someone else can confirm that smsggoo v3.1 is ok to have more than  one test ?
If so, i think we have found the problem. DON'T FORGET TO FREE THE MALLOC THINGS !!!

If this is indeed the case, then it's both interesting and strange at the same time :P

Although it is a good confirmation that the app is releasing its memory correctly. Even though it previously worked, you might end up with out of memory errors later on if you didn't restart your dingoo.

I have found at least one place where I forgot to free memory in GooPlayer, so I'm going to test that later.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »
What is a malloc?
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

QBert

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 05:07:34 pm »

I can confirm this version works on my non-paw dingoo. No more freezing when selecting a new ROM. Fantastic work squashing this bug, alekmaul! Thank you!

MiltonB

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 05:09:16 pm »
I can also confirm! Tried two unpawed units.

My many thanks to you!

QBert

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 05:18:22 pm »