Author Topic: 2nd hand A320, and I am having some noobie problems, please help.  (Read 11699 times)

shaggy_5420

I have a friend who recently sold me his impulse purchase A320, he purchased it about a year ago, and he used it for around a week before getting board, and moving on to his next new favorite thing. I have been wanting one of these for a while but haven't had the expendable income to buy one until this opportunity. I know that he has a tendency to [email protected]$$ things, and I hope this wasn't one of them. He loaded it full of roms, pictures, and video files, (he made a backup first, and he gave me that on a thumb drive). I played through the videos and they were all choppy, and research showed that if he had looked into it, the Dingoo isn't a HD player and a lower resolution would have been better. I played some of the roms that he loaded on there and all worked ok for me so far (NES, SNES, and GBA). I went to add some files, and the PC wouldn't let me as the A320 was full, so I went in through Explorer, and deleted all the data that I knew what it was (roms clearly marked, pictures, and all video files) when I was done there is only 342 MB of roms left, and when I check the properties it says that there is only 1.27 GB left. I know that I deleted over 1.1 gig of GBA files he had on there so I am confused as to where the allocated memory is, and what is in there that is preventing me from recovering more space. I don't know how much space is available on a new A320, so I don't know if this is the usual amount of free space, but it seems like a small amount for a 4 GB device. When I look at the backup where he just copied the entire contents of the A320 before he added or removed any software/media, it only reads as being 322MB.
   I also saw a few file types that I am unfamiliar with, such as  .jgc, .app, .sim,  and hxf. I am guessing that the .HXF file is some sort of system file as it was named a320.hxf. 

This is what the system info displayed
-A320
Udisk memory 3.85 GB
UDisk free 1.28 GB
Version V1.1

And here are my questions
-First, I have tried searching, and still haven't found out, how do I restore the Dingoo to its factory settings, and nothing but what it came with?
-What are the following file types: .JGC .APP .SIM .HXF
-Is there a particular firmware that would make it easier to install Dingux?
-Where can I acquire a A/V cable for the TV out function?

Thank you in advance for any help, I have found the message boards here very helpful and I hope to be able to pitch in where I can.

zear

Re: 2nd hand A320, and I am having some noobie problems, please help.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »
-Is there a particular firmware that would make it easier to install Dingux?
Firmware has nothing to do with Dingux, as it is being loaded from SD card and does not interfere with the original firmware.
For installing Dingux you have to have: 1) PC with usb port 2) miniSD card

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 01:41:29 pm »
Just erase EVERYTHING. Format it. There should be an option for that when you plug it into your computer and right click on it's icon. Or do it through the command prompt.

You can find all the original emulators and games and much more on the file archive (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi), or in various packs posted around the forum.

And you have the 1.1 firmware? Did that one have the Y/B button bug, where you couldn't hold down Y and press B without it releasing Y? If that's the case you need to flash the 1.2 firmware.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:06:04 pm by Jesse »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:12 pm »
First, I have tried searching, and still haven't found out, how do I restore the Dingoo to its factory settings, and nothing but what it came with?

Easiest way is to simply format it.

You may as well update your firmware while you're at it:

Official A320 Firmware Version 1.22. Unzip this file.

• Plug your Dingoo into your USB port.
  • Copy the a320.HXF file to the root of your Dingoo.
  • Unplug your Dingoo and switch it off.
  • Switch your Dingoo back on whilst holding 'down' on the control pad.
  • Let it update - do not switch off your Dingoo until complete.
  • You may have to set the language back to English in some cases (as sometimes it defaults to Chinese, pending on which firmware you are installing). To change back to your preferred language, go all the way to the right to the icon that looks like a gear, click "A" then press the down button 5 times, click "A" and select your language.
  • In Settings -> About you will see your new firmware version.
  • Make sure you have plenty of battery life when doing this.
  • You can delete the a320.HXF file once done.

Now download the Native Firmware Emulators Package and transfer them to your Dingoo. You can also optionally download the Dingoo A320 Official Instruction Manual, the Jungletac Roms and the Official 3D Games Package which are also included on a fresh Dingoo.

That's pretty much it, aside from some crappy media files your Dingoo is now in its fresh, factory state.

Check my website, which appears in my signature, for further downloads, information and guides.

What are the following file types: .JGC .APP .SIM .HXF

They are specific to the Dingoo:

• .JGC refers to a Jungletac rom file. These are 3rd party games that play via the GBA emulator.
  • .APP is a Dingoo application executable. 3D games (3D software games written by the Chinese company that makes the Dingoo) and other various 3rd party applications (Mame, an overclocking utility etc) appear in this format.
  • .SIM refers to an executable for an emulator.
  • .HXF is the file extension for firmware upgrades.

Is there a particular firmware that would make it easier to install Dingux?

No.

Where can I acquire a A/V cable for the TV out function?

Check eBay or a cable shop. Most devices use a similar cable, such as a digital camera or camcorder.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:10:39 pm by Frank_fjs »

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:36:44 pm »
Did you look into the Music folder?  ;D
Also, you really should update to a newer firmware as mentioned before, awesome post by frank_fjs btw. As for video cables, be sure to test them on your DIngoo in the shop before buying, there are incompatible ones. And camcorder cables have the general problem, that you can?t plug them into the socket fully, as then the picture gets distorted, so it has to hang out a bit and with every move come more distortions. Wasted 12? because of this... So test before buying. Every good shop should allow that, if not they are greedy &%*$ and i?d never buy there again.   :D

shaggy_5420

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:46:34 pm »
Thank you to everyone who has replied, all questions in my first batch were answered  ;D  I read about the Y/B button bug, and attempted to recreate the circumstances in a couple of the roms as I was tinkering around with it, and had no such issue. I did however have some issues with the Dingoo locking up as I exited the roms, but a quick press of the reset button was all it needed to reset. I am going to attempt to pick up a micro-sd /mini-SD card adapter, later today so I can do the whole Dingux dual boot method, and I would like to have the extra storage spage to enjoy a few videos while on break at work.

Are there any dangers with using the custom firmwares, versus the official firmwares? I know that some of the custom firmwares take care of the "Engrish" and that would be kind of nice. Are there any firmwares that add functionality or improve quality of game play / media playback? I have a couple of questions however regarding the memory on the unit.

- Is 4 GB the BASE memory (like 4 GB - system file area= whats left for me to use) or is the 4 GB separate and in addition to wherever the unit stores its system files?
- Is there  a recommended brand of SD card for this unit (does one brand / size seem to function more reliably than another)

I am going to hop around here and read up on the firmware see what I would like to use.

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »
The emulators getting stuck are a problem with HK units, there?s a pack of patched emulators here:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/fix-for-hk-models-and-models-that-won%27t-play-native-community-apps-emulators/
Custom firmwares are fine and you can use custom themes with them too if you like to. They don?t improve anything besides the engrish though.
The firmware is stored in a 72 MB extra partition you can?t see except in a partition manager, never format it, or you?d have to unbrick the Dingoo. So you can use the full 4GB (or better 3.85 GB, the memory chips manufacturers still count by 1000... ::))
All mini/microSD cards should work fine, there was an issue with file corruption in Dingux in the early days, it?s fixed now.

Have fun with your Dingoo!  :)

mandrake88

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:22:16 pm »
@Frank_fjs

Great site! Simple, fast, usefull! All information and resources needed for dingoo!
Dingoo A320 Black - Original by Dingoo Digital

Post a new topic