Author Topic: SNES Homebrew  (Read 10415 times)

fenixt (OP)

SNES Homebrew
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:33:32 pm »
Why are there homebrew emulators for colecovision, gameboy, atari, ect., but no one has made a better SNES or Genesis emulator?

clach04

Re: SNES Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »
Why are there homebrew emulators for colecovision, gameboy, atari, ect., but no one has made a better SNES or Genesis emulator?

So are you offering to write one?  ;)

Seriously, I think there was expectations that China Chip/Dingoo would improve them. The homebrew list above are machines that require less CPU power to emulate, i.e a SNES emu is way more complicated than colecovision.

One project, fixing up PicoDrive to run under SDL for OpenDingux, could conceivably be used to get PicoDrive running under native.

If this stuff is important to you, the best thing is to get involved but be prepared for a lot of work. Writing (and even porting) can take a lot of time and effort.

daniel-ntl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:05:56 am »
here is the better snes native emulator http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoonity-news/pocketsnes-port-v1-1-for-native-firmware/

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:41 pm »
here is the better snes native emulator http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoonity-news/pocketsnes-port-v1-1-for-native-firmware/
He knows. He's the first one who posted a response to it. :P
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:41:18 pm by Jesse »

fenixt (OP)

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »

I wish I could but I don't know a thing about coding or scripts or whatever happens behind the scenes  ;D

zear

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:35:58 pm »
Because there are already good homebrew emulators for dingux, which is easier to develop for.

flatmush

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:33:40 am »
Because there are already good homebrew emulators for dingux, which is easier to develop for.
Is it? I think you'd struggle to find anyone who couldn't install and play with the native SDK and to me it's easier than linux, Linux is only easier if you're used to it and are very heavily dependent on APIs that aren't easily ported.

cturtle

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »

I really hate to make this my first post here, but I hate posts like this even more. I want to end world hunger, but I don't have the means to do it. Does that mean I shouldn't keep wishing for it?

He was asking a legitimate question, and I really think this post could've done without the smug response. We're not all coders.

clach04

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 01:07:37 am »
I really hate to make this my first post here, but I hate posts like this even more. I want to end world hunger, but I don't have the means to do it. Does that mean I shouldn't keep wishing for it?

He was asking a legitimate question, and I really think this post could've done without the smug response. We're not all coders.

I'm not sure if this was intentional but you misquoted me in your post.

The rest of the post (which was not quoted) has a more detailed, on topic answer to the original question. If I was bold I might even claim it was the only on topic response.

RE world hunger, it is unlikely to be solved in our lifetimes and one person is not going to solve it but you can help make a difference without solving it completely, http://www.bread.org/ (USA based, if you are not based in the US I suspect you already know of a similar local charity) sorry if this is off topic but this is a really good campaign (my wife has spoken for this organisation/organization a number of times so it would be remiss of me to not mention it) and slightly more useful than the turn this topic has taken. Wishing for world hunger to end is not a useful use of anyones time, do something tangible instead.