Author Topic: Can someone suggest a tactical type game?  (Read 9606 times)

Stephanie

Can someone suggest a tactical type game?
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:02:02 pm »
There's one game that is possibly my overall favorite, but isn't possible to play on the Dingoo. It is Star Trek: Tactical Assault for the DS. Not the campaign / story mode, but the skirmish mode. Just random encounter after random encounter, it's a little bit more involved then just a plain shoot-em-up in that you do have some tactical thinking in terms of how you attack, what weapon to use, when, that sort of thing. The combat is 'real time' and you do fly around and shoot things, but with rather more thinking than, say, space invaders. :)

Another game I liked (going back a million years) was Red Storm Rising on the pc. Same sort of thing, not the campaign mode but the random encounter mode. You'd have to identify the target(s) then determine the best way to attack and choose weapons and defences and so forth, commanding the sub in 'real time'.

My thing is I generally suck at games, so I get bored with "campaign / story modes" very fast due to all the dying I tend to do. The skirmish / random encounter stuff is perfect for a 5 or 10 minute diversion, and I don't need to sit through some long introduction / backstory that lasts longer than I survive in the game! :D

I like the tactical stuff a bit more than the simple shoot-em-ups because there's some more thought involved, rather than just mashing the button at hoards of identical sprites.

If anyone could suggest similar style games to ST:TA or RSR that I could play on the Dingoo, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

santino

Re: Can someone suggest a tactical type game?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:13:27 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieV12ECOeL0&feature=related

Ever heard about Metal Marines? Its a snes strategy game and its quite good.

Hellsing1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:15:35 pm »
Advance Wars 1+2 for the GBA are great fun.
Laser Squad - Amiga
Rampart - SNES (or other versions)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:22:56 pm by Hellsing1 »

Stephanie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:40:45 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried them all out... not quite what I had in mind. Turn-based / strategic is a bit too slow & too involved.

If I had the coding skillz, I'd be trying to get the Dingoo to emulate the NDS -- I could use ST:TA with just a single screen, the touchscreen is somewhat redundant in that game :)

Anyhow, thanks again for the help!

Hellsing1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:45:04 pm »
You might have more luck when dosbox is released as there may be more pc games available.

Have a look here and try them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_strategy#Real-time_strategy_games_on_the_consoles
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:47:47 pm by Hellsing1 »

eule

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:25 pm »
How about Ur-Quan Masters, a Star Control 2 port for the Dingoo?  :D

Stephanie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:22:27 pm »
Thanks for the tips!

I've spent some time cruising through the wikipedia articles on both RTS and RTT and found some more retro games to have a go at. It looks like there's some overlap or blending in the terminology, what I think of as 'tactical' is more in terms of just the combat side, I think of 'strategic' as more encompasing like logistics and world/empire building stuff. I just want one ship or one tank, not a whole army. :)

eule do you have a link to Star Control 2 on the Dingoo? I was only able to find a Dingux version, but I'm just using the original firmware. I remember my BF playing StarCon2 back when it was new, he did all the combat and I did the mapping, navigation and, uh, strategy LOL. I remember it had a Melee option, that's what I'd be looking at these days... I get a ship, the CPU gets a ship, and we slug it out for a few minutes. :)

Thanks again!

Hellsing1

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:23 pm »
Try Starflight - on a host of systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

Shred

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »
do you have a link to Star Control 2 on the Dingoo? I was only able to find a Dingux version, but I'm just using the original firmware.

How about the original Star Control for Sega Genesis / Megadrive on native firmware then?

Stephanie

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:54:30 pm »
I found Star Control for genesis but don't have an emulator for .gen files.  :-\

Think I'll give in and try getting Dingux set up tonight, it seems that opens up a lot more possibilities.

Thanks again for the help!

:)

Shred

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »
I found Star Control for genesis but don't have an emulator for .gen files.  :-\

Try renaming .gen to .smd

Stephanie

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »
Try renaming .gen to .smd

lol - Thank you!  I had no idea what the correct suffix was.

eule

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 11:42:28 pm »
Yeah, Ur-Quan Masters is for dingux only unfortunately... Didn?t know about Star Control for Genesis, be sure to use the fixed emulator without tearing/flickering.  :) http://www.mediafire.com/?yyrglymwwyw

Stephanie

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 02:11:01 pm »
Thanks again for all the tips! I decided to give Dingux a try. Ur-Quan Masters 'super melee' mode is perfect, it'll keep me busy for weeks & weeks. :)

Cheers!

Solstice

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »
Advance Wars 1+2 for the GBA are great fun.
Yep they rule
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

rip

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 10:06:19 pm »
Hi,

In Snes

Ball Bullet Gun. (Jap or English traslation.)
This is very curious.

Amiga 500 or Atari St
Deuteros

Amiga 500 or Dos
Reunion

I also recommend Laser squad, but I prefer the c64 version which is the most I've played, and Advance Wars of GBA.

jimjim1983

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 09:53:38 pm »

TheCaffeinator

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:58 pm »
Try "General Chaos" for the Sega Genesis.