Author Topic: New version of MAME4ALL for Dingoo Native v1.1  (Read 33264 times)

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: New version of MAME4ALL for Dingoo Native v1.1
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 04:20:01 pm »
Haven't tried Mame recently on Dingux but last time I did (which I admit was a while ago) it ran a hell of a lot smoother in native.

Either way, wish people weren't so anti native. :(

Am really starting to feel that native development isn't welcomed by this community any more, which isn't pleasant. I like native and I don't like Dingux, but I certainly don't want to convert anyone over or mock anyone that prefers Dingux. Fact is we have a choice and it shouldn't matter what any person's personal preference is.

Also getting tired of the source code bitching. As much as I understand why it should be released and agree that it should indeed be released, it seems very one sided at the moment.

doglush

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 05:29:54 pm »
We should not forget that OpenDingux uses compressed ram (zram) to extend the amount of available fast memory (unlike swap on SD).

I would know how fast is (fake) crunched ram vs real ram.
On linux Swap memory use harddisk and it's really slow compared with DDR Ram.

zear

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:49 pm »
I would know how fast is (fake) crunched ram vs real ram.
Since you keep it in ram, it should be of the same speed as uncompressed ram.
The only difference is, you use cpu to compress/decompress it, so if any, I'd look for the speed decreases here.

lemmywinks

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 05:42:04 pm »
Either way, wish people weren't so anti native. :(

Am really starting to feel that native development isn't welcomed by this community any more, which isn't pleasant. I like native and I don't like Dingux, but I certainly don't want to convert anyone over or mock anyone that prefers Dingux. Fact is we have a choice and it shouldn't matter what any person's personal preference is.

Massive +1

I usually just use native, I think it's a nicer interface and has better emulators. Kinda funny seeing as not many people develop for it.

In fact if the A320 just had Dingux I probably would have sold it a while ago.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 11:49:27 pm »
I am the original porter of Mame4LL for native Dingoo OS.
The source code is of course available here : http://www.portabledev.com/pages/dingoo/jeuxdev.-perso/mame4all.php
I hope you will share with us improvment you did to my port slaanesh since I sent you source code some years ago  ;)

Does anyone know who much memory is available to the Native Dingoo OS?
If I remember well, no more than 16MB ... The OS takes 16 MB too.

No worries Alek.

16MB looks about right. I ran a little test program which malloced RAM until in ran out.
My process was about 2-3MB and the malloced died at around 13MB.

Whilst it doesn't sound like much it's enough for 95% of MAME games. The bigger ones will fail but that's okay as FBA will take up the slack for those.

The ones that do fail are all available under FBA anyway so I will remove some of these large ones from MAME4ALL.

FBA works because it can create cache files for the large games.
MAME4ALL doesn't create cache files and would be a pain to modify to do so - so I'll leave it as it is.

Zear, compressed RAM would be slower than real RAM. Such RAM would have to be compressed into blocks or pages and then uncompressed again when in use.
For maximum performance which most emulators need, compressed RAM might be okay for storing graphics/sound data but I think that would be about it.

Also, I've been getting another little GEM to work on Dingoo Native - Temper the PC Engine emulator.

I have the first few games working yesterday. It's a pure native port, no SDL. I think it should run most games at full speed and full frame rate at 420Mhz.

:D

samir

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:01 am »
Please slaanesh, port mame4all also fo OpenDingux, i wish to play mame with Tv Out + overclock. If you port for OD, ,you preserv your work for the future GCW Zero. Anyway, a native OS mame is welcome.

Im looking forward for the PCE emulator  ;D

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56:51 am »
Okay MAME4ALL for OD too.

samir

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:49 am »
Okay MAME4ALL for OD too.

Yeah! thanks slaanesh! Good Luck!

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:10 am »
Does anyone know if there is another toolchain for Windows or Mac OS X?

I'm using the Windows version of mipsel-gcc4.1-nopic http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-sdk/downloads/detail?name=mipsel-gcc4.1-cygwin-nopic.tar.bz2&can=2&q= and it's driving me nuts.

It's crashing with some compiler options.

lemmywinks

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 11:10:28 am »
Also, I've been getting another little GEM to work on Dingoo Native - Temper the PC Engine emulator.

I have the first few games working yesterday. It's a pure native port, no SDL. I think it should run most games at full speed and full frame rate at 420Mhz.

Excellent, thanks! looking forward to that. Does it have CD support by any chance?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 04:29:25 am »

Excellent, thanks! looking forward to that. Does it have CD support by any chance?

Of course ;-)

The author is a programming genius. He's the same guy that did the Gameboy Advance emulator that you see everywhere (including the Dingoo Native).

Just coaxing some speed out of it.

Got some nice gains using DMA video copy without waiting so it happens synchronously with emulation.
I'll use this same technique for the MAME4ALL too. This is a fairly large gain.

I also tested an assembler blitter but it was just a smidge slower.

The default 'C based copy is *really* slow. I wouldn't be using that, ever!

Also will profile the code for another 10% gain in performance. Unfortunately complex code seems to crash GCC - thus my plea for a later version of GCC.

There's also a CPU recompiler ie. "dyna-rec" though it's a "C" based one not machine language.
It doesn't seem to have the "wait-loop" detection which seems to make it slower in some cases and faster in others.

naxeras

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:31 am »
Runs, CD pc-engine games with mp3 or wav support?

lemmywinks

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »
You the man Slaanesh!

Looks like I'm buying a bigger SD card for my A320 now....
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 10:03:49 pm »
It's OGG for the CD audio. Though I still need to compile up the support libraries and test it.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
I am more interested in that Dingoo Native versions of MAME4ALL and shortly FBA. There are significant increases in speed just because it is not running under Linux.

I also like the "instant on". Virtually no wait time for start up.

However I will do some OpenDingux vesions too as I like the sound of the GCW-0. As soon as I get one I will do OpenDingux versions of everything.

What a lot of bullshit. Have you tried OD recently? The fact are, OD loads as fast as the native OS, and the apps that run on both native OS and OD are faster on OD (see pocketSNES).
And we're not done working on it, there are a couple of areas that require work, and that could lead to major performance improvements.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:16 am »
I haven't tried OD at all.

I was comparing to Legacy Dingux as that is all I have.
MAME4ALL on legacy Dingux is signifiantly slower than the Native version.
Booting legacy Dingux and then starting whatever emulator you wish to start is also significantly slower.

That's my observation - or do I need to state that whenever I write something?

I don't think your rude reply is really warranted nor is it necessary.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:42 am »
Then next time you claim that the apps are faster under the native OS because "it is not running under Linux", just make sure you tried the latest Linux version...

And you know what else is rude? Not caring about the GPL. And not replying to the several emails and PMs I sent you asking for the sources.

lemmywinks

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 05:47:01 pm »
GIFSoup

Also, check replies #4 and #8
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »
I've been asking about the sources of his DosBox port, not MAME4ALL.

lemmywinks

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »
Usually if you're trying to convince somebody to do something it's not advisable to hurl obscenities at them.

Manners cost nothing, just sayin...
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Post a new topic
Post a new topic