Author Topic: Famicom Disk System usage on DingooNES  (Read 8517 times)

Trevor Belomont

Famicom Disk System usage on DingooNES
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »
Ok, next item of possible interest is Famicom Disk System rom usage on the DingooNES.sim emulator for the Dingoo A320.

Once you have acquired your DingooNES.sim emulator (preferably the latest version and i'll leave that part up to you if you don't already have it), just read below to get the FDS games running.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Famicom Disk System was a Japanese disk system add-on for their Famicom (the Japanese NES), which played games via a disk format similar to a floppy disk, but in a hard, colored case (usually yellow).
The significance in playing these versions of the games is that in some cases, the music, graphics and start game interface may be slightly different, as is the case with Metroid, which has a Legend of Zelda style start menu.

The DingooNES emulator will run ".fds" roms (with the "disksys" file it comes with), but you need to follow these steps:

- acquire the .fds rom(s)
- run the .fds rom like you do the rest of the .nes roms
- wait for the NINTENDO logo to come up and let the system load the game
- When you get to the actual game main screen, press L+R+Select buttons at the same time
(to "switch disk sides"...don't ask)
- you may need to wait a few moments or "switch disk sides" again (and you should do it anytime it tells you, or anytime you think you should, like if it gets "stuck".)
- now the controls will be enabled!
- enjoy!

(Note: the emulator, ".cfg" and "disksys" files should be directly within the GAME folder to run without a major problem. This is usually the case for most emulators...)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:05:52 am by Turkish »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: Famicom Disk System usage on DingooNES
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »
Just a friendly suggestion, you might want to think about editing your post and removing the reference on where to obtain roms, it's against the rules of this site. I'm not having a go at you or anything, just don't want to see you getting into trouble.

Thanks for this tip, I didn't realise this was possible. I thought you needed the disk system bios file for this to work, or is this not required or perhaps already built into the emu?

I'm fortunate enough to have a working disk system, quite a fun little unit.

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:01:35 pm »
Thank you dear friend. I didn't think it would actually count as "Linking" roms, because it wasn't an actual link, just a name. I figured "Emuparadise" could mean anything from a Gentleman's club to an island off the coast of Costa Rica, but i suppose you know better. I'm new here, getting nice and settled in, so i appreciate your help, and i have edited my post accordingly. Thank you. I think it's already built-in to the emu (Edit: it is the "disksys" file), i was just sittin' around pondering if it could do it, since the roms format were so similar, then i saw on the "About emulator" portion of the DingooNES emu, that there was an option to "switch disk", then i already knew about the Japanese FDS, so i put two and two together...
That's killer man, i'm looking into getting one for myself, hopefully complete with the Famicom and all the extras.
I just started collecting Famicom carts and Disks, it's quite addicting, finding good deals here and there online. Such a wonderful little retro system indeed. Those lucky, lucky Japanese... :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:07:38 am by Turkish »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:26:06 pm »
Okay, just checked it out and the emulator includes the disk system bios file, but I can't seem to get my copy of 3D Hot Rally to load, keeps saying loading rom failed.

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:42:13 pm »
That's weird, it works fine for me. I don't even have to change disks until it tells me, after i start a game...
I got it from...ohhh, i can't tell you, it's a secret to everybody...haha. Just joshin' man, i got it from the island. :)

Frank_fjs

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:44:03 pm »
Well I've downloaded the rom of 3D Hot Rally from 3 different sites and not one of them works, I even downloaded a copy from the site that you mentioned. :)

Can you try the rom of 'Famicom Grand Prix II - 3D Hot Rally' and tell me if it works for you please?

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:24 pm »
Yeah that's the one i tried. I couldnt find it under "3D hot rally"...

Frank_fjs

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »
Okay, thanks.

Well I:

- Double checked and made sure that the 'disksys.rom' file was with the 'DingooNES.SIM' file
- Tried running the .FDS file from both the internal NAND and SD card
- Deleted the DingooNES config file

Not sure what else to try. NES roms work just fine, and I'm running the latest version of the emulator (1.3) so I wonder why it isn't working?

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:58:25 pm »
You're probably going to hate me, but i'm going to offer the same assistance that i always do on problems like these... Use MY .cfg data. :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:51:02 am by Turkish »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:04:15 pm »
Will give it a try, thanks, email sent.

K-77

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:05:23 pm »
I may be wrong but isn't the fceu320 have a better support for .fds?

Frank_fjs

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
I prefer to use native. :)

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »
Yeah, it's just easier. Nothing against Dingux, but i don't like having to operate my Dingoo like it's an actual 1982 PC. No fun resetting 200 times a day, that's even if i can get Dingux and all his little buddies running...

Frank_fjs

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 07:20:36 pm »
Got the files, thanks!

Still no joy. I even downloaded some different roms and also tried replacing the bios file with a different one.

I'll have to look into it another time, thanks for the help though.

K-77

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:23:16 pm »
Yeah, it's just easier. Nothing against Dingux, but i don't like having to operate my Dingoo like it's an actual 1982 PC. No fun resetting 200 times a day, that's even if i can get Dingux and all his little buddies running...

Ok :) just tell me what mean little buddies xD

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »
haha. His little buddies bro. All the slick emulators that run on it and stuff. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:00:04 pm by Turkish »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
Okay, got it working. ;D

The problem was that I have DingooNES located in a sub-folder inside of the main GAME folder, this seems to prevent the emu from locating the disksys.rom file. To rectify, all I had to do was move the disksys.rom file to the main GAME folder and problem solved.

Thanks for all your help!

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 08:01:57 pm »
Good stuff man! You're welcome. anytime...

Post a new topic
Post a new topic