Author Topic: Earthbound for SNES on Native Emulator?  (Read 4682 times)

MrSaturn33

Earthbound for SNES on Native Emulator?
« on: June 20, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »
 Hi, I was just wondering how the game Earthbound worked on the A320/A330 Native Emulator. Is the sound/graphics/framerate all acceptable? I'm sure someone here has tried it out. It being my favorite SNES game of all time, this is a pretty big concern. Please do not suggest playing MOTHER 1+2 on GBA, I can't stand that version.

Thanks,

MrSaturn33 (Bet you couldn't have guessed I liked the game :)

santino

Re: Earthbound for SNES on Native Emulator?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:15:25 pm »
Just tested it and it runs ok, very playble.

MrSaturn33

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:43:33 pm »
Just tested it and it runs ok, very playble.

Great,but how good is it? Is it perfect? I'm guessing the graphics are just fine, but what about the frame rate? A little too slow, a little too fast? And same with the sound, is it the right speed? Are the sound effects intact? Thank-You.

santino

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:03:01 pm »
The only thing Ive noticed was the screen refreshes a bit choppy when the vision was scrolling through the village. But everything else runs at normal speed. Sound has not stuttering or errors.

MrSaturn33

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »
The only thing Ive noticed was the screen refreshes a bit choppy when the vision was scrolling through the village. But everything else runs at normal speed. Sound has not stuttering or errors.

Awesome, that's all I needed, thanks. :) But anyone else's input would still be much appreciated.

DannyBoyTheDude

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »
Works great on Snes9x4D under dingux!  ;D

MrSaturn33

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:24:26 am »
You're...Joking, right?

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:53:56 am »
I played it up till the battle with Frank. Like all other games on the native emu, the sound is well off the mark. But it's not TOO bad, actually. To me, anyway. It's bearable.

You need to have frameskip set to 1 (you can try frameskip 2 or 3 for more speed, but prepare for a lot more choppiness). And there is a little garble in the graphics on the edge of the screen when scrolling horizontally. That's not very noticeable, though. The colors seem a little washed out.

With frameskip 1 and at the Dingoo's default clockspeed (336Mhz) it runs a little too slow when just standing still in an empty area of Onnett. In the same conditions at 400Mhz, it runs a little too fast. So you might wanna go somewhere in between there. Iono.

It's a little choppy. That is, the framerate + music are always going a little too fast or a little too slow, dipping up and down slightly and rapidly just moving around the different outside areas of Onnett. I guess you could describe it as being "shaky". Then when you walk into the Onnett Arcade, it's not dipping up and down anymore, but things are moving a little too fast. Then you walk out and fight with Frank, with his fullscreen animated background, and it slows down to like half speed.

It plays better on SNES9x4D (though I didn't test it as much as with native). But don't expect perfection with that, either.

Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is.

All in all, it seems fairly playable and enjoyable (as far as I know). To me, it is acceptable.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:20:25 am by Jesse »

MrSaturn33

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 07:15:27 pm »
Cool, thanks A LOT, (tons of info) but I think I might just get Dingux when I get a Dingoo, it's too much to put up with...

xdpirate

• * Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:54:58 pm »
I'm currently playing through Earthbound on Snes9x4D (Dingux). At the default clock rate (336 MHz) it's playable, but has frame rate drops on the overworld. If you overclock to 430 MHz though, the game runs flawlessly in all aspects. Just got Paula, now off to level her up some! ;)

You should definitely install Dingux, most of the emulators are way better than their native counterparts, and most of Dingoo development today happens on the Dingux side.

Edit: Regarding your signature: Unless you're a huge fan of big MAME games and/or want to play PSX games on your Dingoo, get an A320. It's cheaper, and it's the original. The "new features" doesn't warrant the price increase from the A320 to the A330, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:56:45 pm by xdpirate »

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:26:37 am »
I agree. I really like the little additions of the A330 (I prefer to use it over the A320), but the price gap between the A320 and A330 isn't justifiable in my eyes.

Besides the extra RAM for MAME and stuff, the only other big reason you might want to get the A330 is if you are really wanting to play some intense action games where having better designed shoulder buttons can be a big plus (like the Mega Man Zero series). The screen is also nicer to look at.

But the A320 is still the better buy overall.

Also wanted to remind you that you are going to need a MiniSD card (or a MicroSD card + MiniSD adapter) to run Dingux.