• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Dingoo O S Gnuboy Version 1.0  (Read 10619 times)

gp2xs

Dingoo O S Gnuboy Version 1.0
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:05 pm »
Joyrider does it again!
Here is the native dingoo gnuboy (Game Boy & Game Boy Color emulator) with sound, save states, skins, and full screen:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,159

This is my favorite emulator on Dingoo.
The Game Boy was my first portable gaming console and I kind of regret selling/trading off my extensive collection many years ago.
Back in those days I had to lug around the original Game Boy, external battery/power adapter, game boy light/magnifier, and many game cartidgess in a hard case.
The hard case looked like a giant Game Boy and I also had the official Game Boy fanny-pack :-[ .

Now I can potentially tote the entire Game Boy library [and more] in the little Dingoo alone, no cartridges, no external batteries, no fanny-pack.

The Dingoo is a great all-in-one Game Boy.

capt_bugaloo

Re: Dingoo O S Gnuboy Version 1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:59:28 am »
Yes, I run Gnuboy and I agree that it's a great emulator.   :)

strider_mt2k

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:33:45 am »
Agreed.
Game Boy is beloved.

If you ask me, it's something that should have been there from the beginning, but I am biased. :)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

retro junkie

• Pocket Arcade
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 03:45:42 am »
I agree. And it runs great on the Dingoo. I am glad to have it running on the native OS. I haven't tried linux on my Dingoo. And at this point I have no plans to. So I appreciate anyone who takes the time to give us something on the original OS.
"Only I, retro junkie, can pilot the only prototype battleship in existence against the angry ugly brain damaged horde of aliens that are bent on destroying our part of the galaxy and annihilate earth!"

knk

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 04:58:19 am »
i get much worse performance in this compared to dingux.  I don't think the frame skip settings are working quite right...its really jumpy

retro junkie

• Pocket Arcade
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:19 pm »
i get much worse performance in this compared to dingux.  I don't think the frame skip settings are working quite right...its really jumpy
It runs very smooth for me. No problem here.
"Only I, retro junkie, can pilot the only prototype battleship in existence against the angry ugly brain damaged horde of aliens that are bent on destroying our part of the galaxy and annihilate earth!"

capt_bugaloo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:44:15 am »
Yeah, I have played several (like a dozen or more different) ROMs and haven't noticed any frameskip issues at all! 
It runs great on my A320.

knk

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:25:36 am »
when you say smooth....do you mean perfect.  Not jumpy at all etc? Mine plays perfectly fine, but its just not smooth.  Also could you guys please check if changing the frameskip to say.....9 actually does anything?  I'd expect to to be really jumpy but it doesn't make a difference

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »
Also could you guys please check if changing the frameskip to say.....9 actually does anything? 

There is no frameskip 9 !! Frameskip is either on or off and it's frameskip 1 which means (to make it simple) every odd frame number is dropped  (/ not drawn). Original gameboy games shouldn't need it, gameboy color might need it depending on the game.
Also it's normal that games look "skippy" when the frameskip option is on, since well only half the frames are drawn. This could have other side effects as well like invisible spirtes if they are drawn every odd frame (which certain games did to speed up the games, like some megaman games for example).
I can probably speed up the dingux version a little but i'd have to check it when being home.

retro junkie

• Pocket Arcade
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:15:20 pm »
I'm running with frame skip off, full screen. I am presently playing Bionic Commando- Elite Forces, GBC game. The animation is very smooth, no jumpy or graphical issues at all. And the game seems to be full speed, no slow down. I'm running in the native OS.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:18:44 pm by retro junkie »

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:19:23 pm »
In many GBC games the sound is better with frameskip on. The games are very close to fullspeed, but not fullspeed probably which is reason of the sound issue.

dbzphish

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:18 am »
I'm lovin this emulator!  The gameboy was one of my first game system (besides the snes) so there's a lot of nostalgia in this one for me.  I generally play it in native res though, full screen just looks to ugly :P

knk

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:49:33 am »
as stupid as ill sound for saying this....My issues were caused by actually forgetting to remove the old gameboy emulator .sim.  I completely forget i installed that as I didn't end up using it.  Being gbc.sim, alphabetically it came first and thus my .gb* games were being opened with it.   So now....im playing wario 30x bigger than he was meant to be :)

sorry joyrider!  this might've given your emulator some negative views....can't believe i forgot about this.  It was obvious I wasn't running your emulator after updating to the latest Dingux one and seeing the menu system you used.

schanall

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:42 pm »
Is there a native GBC emulator? I mean shipped with the original Dingoo? I have to rename the roms to gb to play with Gnuboy otherwise a different emu opens. ???

Chris23235

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 09:57:58 pm »
I think you have the Game Boy Colour Emulator on your Dingoo, it doesn't comes with the original Dingoo, but maybe the dealer, where you bought the handheld put it on, its called GBC.SIM and is located in the games directory.

schanall

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:18:26 pm »
Strange there is no such file. Only the GBA emu.

Chris23235

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 10:27:16 pm »
Can you give us a list of all the SIM files in your folder?

schanall

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:06 pm »
cps1.sim
cps2.sim
cpu200.app
cpu336.app
cpu370.app
cpu400.app
cpu430.app
DOOENGINE.SIM
gba.cfg
GNUBOY.SIM
md.sim
mvs.sim
nes.sim
sfc.sim
SmsGGOO.SIM

This is my content of the game directory. I made a ls- A >> out.txt. So I think the content is o.k.. But I don't own many GBC games. It is o.k to rename them :D But it is stange, isn't ist?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:00:58 pm by schanall »

Chris23235

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:50 pm »
Very strange, can you describe the emulator that's launching the gbc roms?

Reo

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 06:50:55 am »
The unofficial GBC emulator was called "gbc.sim". The Dingoo should search for SIM files outside of its game directory, or inside subfolders in the game directory. Perhaps you dropped it in there?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic