Author Topic: Atari 2600 Anyone Working On It?  (Read 8132 times)

hurt138 (OP)

Atari 2600 Anyone Working On It?
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »
I know this has prob been brought up a million times, but does anyone know if any work is being done for a 2600 Emu in the native firmware?

Kronus

• * Former Staff
Re: Atari 2600 Anyone Working On It?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:31:10 pm »
There's already one on the Dingux, other than that there's no existing Atari 2600 emulator for the Native O.S. unfortunately... you should try putting in Dingux and check the Atari 2600 emulators available on it.

:)
"I'm happy to serve the Dingoo Community!"

hurt138 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:23:51 am »
Yah I have seen the dingux version, but am kinda holding out and hoping for one where I dont need dingux. :)

kswildside

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:19:37 pm »
I throughly agree we need we need more people like Akemaul making Native OS emulators I know it's easier to port to Dingux but lets be honest any n00b that gets this needs alot of time to get up to speed. Plus there are alot on n00b non-techies buying this now that can't fathom how to even install an emulator. We at Dingoo-Digital-USA.com preload the A320 with PD Roms for almost all the emulators and make it easy with instructions on how to use the emulators so a n00b has a no brainer time using the A320

Shred

• * Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »
kswildside please stop plugging Dingoo Digital USA. This isn't the Dingoo Digital forums. :P

Why are you being so derogative branding people 'n00bs'? I'm sure you were a 'n00b' once upon a time and for somebody trying to advertise another site, you're not doing so in a very professional manner.

Personally I think you don't even understand the proper meaning of the word 'n00b'. I'm sure you mean newb/newbie instead.

Quote from: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob
However lots of places (mainly internet forums and online games) use the word 'noob' differently to the word 'newb'. Where a 'newb' or 'newbie' is simply someone who is new to the forum/game/etc..., and a 'noob' or 'n00b' is someone who has no respect for the rules, does not want to do anything for himself and generally acts like an idiot. So 'noob' has become an offensive term in a lot of places on the internet. To behave like a noob will often mean getting disrespect and lack of interest from other players.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:07:00 pm by Shred »

capt_bugaloo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:10:32 pm »
Huh - whadya know.  I never knew there was any difference between 'n00b' and 'newbie'!   :o

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 06:37:44 pm »
Okay folks you're getting sidetracked here, get back to being on topic :)

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »
it's on the way guy, with source code of course, because it's a stella port and not a personal emu ;) (the two guys saying that i'm only stealing source code will be happy ...)
Just wait a little, i have not so much time actually to make something on dingoo (another example, duke nukem compilation is ok but it hangs, it's just a question of time ....)

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:42 pm »
[...] Plus there are alot on n00b non-techies buying this now that can't fathom how to even install an emulator.
Since the old forum was crippled some links are gone... How I installed Dingux:

1. Surf to the Dingux installation guide for dummies (from Dingoo Scene). If you're hasty, goto chapter 2, point 6.

2. Download a zip file (a so called 'local file') with all emulators, games etc. from this topic for (for example) 'Toddler's local image'. Simply unzip it to your SD card (which, by now, should have Dingux on it).  Anyting legal is in there!

3. Search the dark corners of the internet for rom images and simply place them in the folder called "rom" of your favorite console emulator in /local/emulators/.

[...] instructions on how to use the emulators so a n00b has a no brainer time using the A320
4. All one needs to do is print out the Quick reference card (or put it on your Dingoo).

5. Have phun :)

[edit] Sorry for the off topic, but it is the only way (for now) to play Atari 2600 games. Have you played your Atari today?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:12:57 pm by Meneer Jansen »
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

hurt138 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:18:01 pm »
it's on the way guy, with source code of course, because it's a stella port and not a personal emu ;) (the two guys saying that i'm only stealing source code will be happy ...)
Just wait a little, i have not so much time actually to make something on dingoo (another example, duke nukem compilation is ok but it hangs, it's just a question of time ....)

Great to hear, I have actually install Dingux and been playing around with it. Its seems cool and does work for a much larger number of emulators. I am still a big fan of getting more great stuff on the native os.

gp2xs

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 05:21:02 pm »
I throughly agree we need we need more people like Akemaul making Native OS emulators I know it's easier to port to Dingux but lets be honest any n00b that gets this needs alot of time to get up to speed. Plus there are alot on n00b non-techies buying this now that can't fathom how to even install an emulator. We at Dingoo-Digital-USA.com preload the A320 with PD Roms for almost all the emulators and make it easy with instructions on how to use the emulators so a n00b has a no brainer time using the A320

Could you release the source code for the Native OS and Native emulators so the talented people around here could possibly fix/update them?

The Sega Megadrive/Geneis emulator has problems that have been partially addressed through hacks.
The Neo Geo MVS emulator aslo has problems that have been partially addressed through hacks.

There are problems with Native OS button combination.

Dingux is popular partially because it is open. People can get the support they need from the Dingux OS community and booboo.
The source code for everything is available.

If you want the community to support your closed OS you should open it up more.

Even if you don't want to open it to everyone, you can ask a few of the power devs to help.

Or at least get your official people to fix the glaring Native OS button-press problems that we have been complaining about since day 1.

Back on topic:

I look forward to Native Atari 2600, thanks alekmaul!

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »
Hum, strange, Dingoo2600 hangs during stella initialisation (during Console Init class to be exact) ...
And also, the .SIM is really huge, more than 2 Mbytes !!! I think the C++ libs are all linked with the .SIM file, that's really strange.
If someone can help me to debug this emu (stella is c++ emulator and it's my first try to do such thing with c++), i can release actual source code (compile is ok).

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 11:26:52 pm »
Hum, strange, Dingoo2600 hangs during stella initialisation (during Console Init class to be exact) ...
And also, the .SIM is really huge, more than 2 Mbytes !!! I think the C++ libs are all linked with the .SIM file, that's really strange.
If someone can help me to debug this emu (stella is c++ emulator and it's my first try to do such thing with c++), i can release actual source code (compile is ok).

I could give it a try.

As for the huge SIM file I have no idea, but maybe a visit to #dingoo-a320 could be a good idea.

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 06:02:53 am »
The pb seems to be in EventHandler.cpp, when the Console calls the init function, it hangs (i comment everything except it and i saw that).

See source code of Console.cpp, for the object creation :

Console::Console(const uInt8* image, uInt32 size, const char* filename, Sound& sound)
    : mySound(sound)
{
  myControllers[0] = 0;
  myControllers[1] = 0;
  myMediaSource = 0;
  mySwitches = 0;
  mySystem = 0;
  myEvent = 0;

// Create an event handler which will collect and dispatch events
  //ALEK -> HANGS HERE !! myEventHandler = new EventHandler(this);
  //ALEK -> HANGS HERE !! myEvent = myEventHandler->event();

// Get the MD5 message-digest for the ROM image

DOwnload source here : http://www.portabledev.com/temp/Dingoo2600.rar
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:11:17 am by alekmaul »

Spiller

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 08:24:16 am »
I'm not entirely sure where the problem is but I do have an idea. LynGOO is C++ as well and I did quite some work in my personal SDK named 'dingkit' to be even able to compile C++ code. What toolchain are you using? The Cygwin one? Are you sure that the C++ libs in that toolchain are actually suitable for the Dingoo?

I'm using the Linux toolchain myself. The problem with this toolchain is that the libraries have been compiled for mipsel-linux which does not match with the embedded OS ofcourse. So basicly I had to reimplement any needed libraries. First of all I adapted and extended all stdlib stuff from flatmush to support C++. Next I ported libsupc++ (part of libstdc++).

I am planning on releasing dingkit at some point. If you're interested I'm willing to share some parts with you before the release, but beware that it is not finished yet. I have only implemented the functions I needed for LynGOO.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:28:37 am by Spiller »

Spiller

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:15 am »
Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of this. Another option would be for me to pick up Stella after LynGOO which would give Alekmaul more room for working on and improving his current emulators. I am planning to work on an Amiga emulator somewhere soon, but I could use an easier target in between.

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:10 am »
Thanks for your reply Spiller.
i'm using this toolchain : http://flatmush.juliusparishy.com/a320/toolchain/
If you want to continue Stella port, there is no pb. But i want to understand why my compilation is wrong (toolchain pb, and so on ...).
The current port to dingoo is from the Nintendo DS port of Stella, it's not the same than zx81 used for the dingux port.

Spiller

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 11:43:18 am »
That's the Cygwin toolchain I was talking about. I believe it orginates from the Ingenic FTP site:

ftp://ftp.ingenic.cn/3sw/02rtos/00toolchain/

I'm using the Linux toolchain. As said the Linux toolchain suffers from being compiled for the 'mipsel-linux' target to which the native firmware clearly doesn't conform. I just had a look inside the Cygwin toolchain and it has been compiled for the mipsel-linux target as well. This basically means that you cannot use anything from the 'mipsel-linux' subdirectory of that toolchain. No headers, no libraries. Which leaves you with a working set of binutils and GCC but no libraries at all. This is why flatmush implemented part of stdlib and why I ported libsupc++.

Again, I'm willing to share some of my 'dingkit' work, but it is unfinished work in progress. Alternatively I finish LynGOO 1.0 and then pick up an Atari 2600 emulator as my next project. Should be relatively easy and will benefit dingkit as well because it will get better coverage of the various C and C++ methods.

I have even played with the idea of making LynGOO into a more allround Atari 2600/7800/Lynx emulator, but I guess that would be more complicated than a 'simple' port of Stella.

My 'project list' could be something like:
  • LynGOO
  • StelGoo
  • AmiGoo
  • Dingkit
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:51:04 am by Spiller »

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »
I understand Spiller.
So, as you will do a port of Stella emulator, i stop my current port. I will continue my current emulators and trying to debug Duke Nukem (it's C code, it will be easier ;))

Spiller

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 12:40:44 pm »
OK. Will open a thread in development as soon as I start working on Stella.