Author Topic: Overclocking  (Read 4962 times)

Spiller (OP)

Overclocking
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:25:15 pm »
As I understand it, the JZ4740 is made to run at a speed between 200 and 400MHz, so it should be perfectly safe to run it at 400MHz, however it could be that the Dingoo A320 itself has not been designed for speeds above 333MHz. Recent firmware seems to always clock back to this speed when you enter the menu.

Any opinions on this? Or, even better, facts? Doesn't the integrated video player overclock to 400MHz as well for example?

Alekmaul: I will be adding my code here tonight. I am at work now and can't access the code from here.

eule

• * Former Staff
Re: Overclocking
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:49:12 pm »
Dingoo?s default clockspeed is 336 mhz, jz4740?s default is 400 mhz. we have a jz4732 however in our Dingoos, but they are probably the same.
I don?t think the movie player overclocks on it?s own, but i might be wrong. The player wouldn?t work with TV-OUT when overclocked, the screen gets f*cked up.

Anyone had luck with those pre-overclocked firmwares? E.g. TV-Out, does it work?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:52:02 pm by eule »

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:02:35 pm »
My personal opinion is that I'm against applications which overclocks by default. But having an overclock option would be a good idea.

Due to the risk involved (heat), this is something that should be enabled by the user at their risk.

strider_mt2k

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:47:35 pm »
I'm coming at this from my experiences creating the heat spreader modification on my Dingoo.

I don't have instruments to put on the CPU, but the CPU DOES get noticeably warmer when it is being taxed in native, and decidedly hot when overclocked running Dingux.
It's the reason why I developed the modification in the first place.

I think some of the flakiness we see when things mess up after running for a while is heat related, although lab testing is in order for hard numbers.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »
I didn't know anything about a heat spreader. I was under the impression that the Dingoo came underclocked by default, much like the PSP. It seems this is a bit different story though. I guess making it a user option would be a better choice in this case. It's a shame though that Dingoo didn't take the maximum speed of the CPU into account while building this device. It seems such a waste to not let it run at its specced speed. LynGOO runs a lot better at 400MHz in any case.  :D

I'm attaching the code needed to detect and alter the system clock for others.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:54:47 pm by Spiller »

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 08:53:16 pm »
And the rest...

strider_mt2k

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:23 pm »
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hardware-general/dingoo-a320-hardware-modifications-part-1-heat-spreader/

I think to date I'm the only one to do this mod, but games that hung up on me after a certain amount of time no longer do.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

Chris23235

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:49:04 pm »
I personally never had any temperature related problems, not on native firmware (I always use the overclocking tool for playing CPS 1/2/Neo Geo), not on Dingux, I run most emulators there at 430 Mhz.

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:08 am »
I think to date I'm the only one to do this mod, but games that hung up on me after a certain amount of time no longer do.

Very useful information. This is enough proof for me that not all Dingoos can run at 400MHz without heat problems. I will make the overclocking an option in LynGOO 1.2.

Post a new topic