• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Lynx emulator  (Read 71042 times)

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
Re: Lynx emulator
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:52 am »
Its not working for me!
ive put the lyngoo.sim and the lynxboot.img file in the game folder and then created a lynx folder with all the unzipped .lnx files. nothing...
No File Found!
what am i doing wrong?
ive got firmware version 1.1

Force a file refresh by doing Update Jukebox at the bottom of the Music menu.

segakiki

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:38:14 am »
when i click on ok for update jukebox my dingoo just freezes and i have to hard reset!
it wasnt doing this before i put the lyngoo.sim file in.
Any help please?

Jolu42

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 12:59:37 am »
Spiller, great job on the beta!! I was just playing Batman Returns whilst on the shitter. Very impressive.

capt_bugaloo

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 03:14:03 am »
Awesome!  I am running a black Dingoo with factory 1.11
I find the emulator works very well for most ROMs. 

- Blue Lightning, KLAX, and a few others I tried  ran well - I didn't notice any slow down other than some choppy title music in BL.
- STUN Runner has some messed up graphics.
- Ms. PacMan runs about 15% too fast!
- "Lynx Diagnostic cart" when you push buttons on the button test, a speaker beeps like it should but the button display doesn't light up.

How do you have the keys mapped?  A is A, but I think you have B mapped to X, Pause to Start..?  I'd like to be able to flip the screen like on a real Lynx (Pause + OPT2) and couldn't figure it out...

Awesome for a beta release!   ;D

segakiki

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 03:38:48 am »
Finally got it working! it was because of my 16gb sd card.
i just took it out of the dingoo and clicked update jukebox and it updated without freezing!
Emu works great for a first release.
Does anyone know how to adjust the volume?

trooper

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 04:15:28 am »
Finally got it working! it was because of my 16gb sd card.
i just took it out of the dingoo and clicked update jukebox and it updated without freezing!
Emu works great for a first release.
Does anyone know how to adjust the volume?

Left shoulder button = Volume down
Right shoulder button = Volume up

Oh, Btw Spiller, I hope you don`t mind, And i know this is still in beta, But i have posted this as news over at GP32x.com, And uploaded it to the Openhandheld File Archive.

Thanks Spiller, I`m having great fun with this. ;D

Trooper

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 05:30:00 am »
Nice work Spiller, all the games i've tried work !
THere are some glitches in sound but it' not so bad.
There are some pb in graphic line rendering (just take a look at shadow of the beast, the sky is not good).
Also, some games seem to be emulated too fast (ms pacman for example).
Continue ! nice work !!!

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:12 am »
Thanks for all the replies! Good to see that there is interest in this. I have never owned a Lynx myself so sometimes it's hard to judge whether a game runs correctly or not.

This emulator is basicly a port of Handy. I was trying to run Handy on Windows for reference, but to my surprise it ran very slow and choppy on a 1400MHz Intel CPU. So I really have no good reference. Will take a couple of more days to fix some bugs.  :P

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 07:31:37 am »
capt_bugaloo: Didn't know about those special key combinations. Thanks! The mappings are as follows:

A = A
B = B
OPT1 = X
OPT2 = Y
PAUSE = START

PAUSE+OPT1 seems to do a reset? PAUSE+OPT2 probably tries to do a rotate, but I haven't implemented support for it.

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 08:22:28 am »
alekmaul: The main reason for graphical (and sound?) glitches is the lack of proper timing in the emulation speed. The only control I currently have is the number of cpu opcodes executed in one frame. Normally this number is set to 3000. When I set it to 800 for example the background in Shadow of the Beast stops flickering but it also looses the gradient. This is because the gradient is dependant on proper system timing. This will not be easy to fix, but I'll have a look.

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:29 am »
Could you use a better Scaler for this Emu? Or different Modes like nativ, scaled, scaled-enhanced...aso.

ScummVM has good scalers and opensource.

Kronus

• * Former Staff
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 10:25:52 am »
Thanks for this Spiller, you know my uncle had the original Lynx handheld along a with a GameBoy, and he was glad that the Dingoo can emulate the Lynx, because it was his fave handheld along with the GameBoy.

+1 for you.

;)
"I'm happy to serve the Dingoo Community!"

capt_bugaloo

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:30 pm »
I spent half an hour or so playing Shanghai (great game) last night.  It plays almost perfectly! 
Occasionally (like once every 3 or 4 mins) I see a split second of screen flickering - it's barely noticeable. 
And the music plays too fast, so I hit a button (OPT 2?) to turn the optional background music off.

I saw one comment that they found the emulator runs too slow, but my observation is that with Shanghai, Ms Pacman, and a couple of others it runs about 10-15% too fast!  It's really noticeable in the background music of these games.

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:26 pm »
Although I have no actual experience with the Lynx, I think the emulator runs too fast too. As said, I will be looking into the timing but it may take a couple of days to find a solution.

About the scaler: the native resolution of the Lynx is 160x102. I'm simply doubling the number of pixels to 320x204 right now and I wonder why anyone would want something else. I don't think it's going to be prettier with a scaler.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:36:07 pm by Spiller »

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:31 pm »
Second beta:

http://www.speedyshare.com/163829299.html

Includes load/save state functionality and the ability to change the volume and emulator timing from the menu. Should be fairly complete functionality wise. Next up is fixing the timing which will hopefully end the graphical and sound glitches.

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:09 pm »
Thanks a lot Spiller, will try this this evening (in French Time zone :P) ^^

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 07:14:31 am »
We're in the same time zone. I'm from the Netherlands.  ;)

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:51 am »
About the scaler: the native resolution of the Lynx is 160x102. I'm simply doubling the number of pixels to 320x204 right now and I wonder why anyone would want something else. I don't think it's going to be prettier with a scaler.  ;)

Simply doubling the number of pixels is not very nice. Interpolating is far more nicier and i think the speed is high enough to try something :-)

For example sai2: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/scummvm/browser/scummvm/trunk/graphics/scaler/2xsai.cpp

or they have lots of others:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/scummvm/browser/scummvm/trunk/graphics/scaler

Chris23235

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 11:43:47 am »

Simply doubling the number of pixels is not very nice. Interpolating is far more nicier and i think the speed is high enough to try something :-)

For example sai2: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/scummvm/browser/scummvm/trunk/graphics/scaler/2xsai.cpp

or they have lots of others:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/scummvm/browser/scummvm/trunk/graphics/scaler

Links don't work for me, require Password.

If you want to get closer to the look of the real Lynx, just leave every 2nd pixel blank, the LCD Pixels on the original Lynx where not very close to each other, I think this was a technical decision to achieve a larger display. I am not complelely sure if this was only between the lines of between each pixel in the line as well, I just discovered my old Lynx doesn't seem to work any more.

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 12:04:20 pm »
Here are the files attached

Post a new topic