Author Topic: Atari 2600 emulator  (Read 9100 times)

Spiller (OP)

Atari 2600 emulator
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:07:27 pm »
I've started working on porting an Atari 2600 to the Dingoo native OS. Nobody was working on that, right?

capt_bugaloo

Re: Atari 2600 emulator
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:14:04 pm »
A native 2600 emulator would be absolutely fantastic...

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:49 pm »
Nobody was working on that, right?

I haven't heard of anyone working on it. :)

Hellblaze

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:40:35 am »
StellGOO I presume? :)

Just curious: Anyone working on any of the other Atari EMU's? Can't let Dingux steal all the glory! ;)

Oh, and I'm not sure if this was announced here or not, but:

http://www.dingoo-digital.com/forums/developers-corner/calling-all-native-os-developers-its-contest-time

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:29:09 am »
NIce to see that you're going to port stella ^^
Don't forget the source code i used, it can help.
It's still available here : http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-emulation/atari-2600-anyone-working-on-it/msg1671/#msg1671

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:20:10 am »
Thanks Alekmaul. I forgot about that sourcecode. I did start with your suggestion of StellaDS instead of the original Stella. I'll certainly have a look at the sourcecode you posted. I guess it's a partly ported StellaDS?

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:02 am »
Yes, you're right. It's a StellaDS port.

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:59:59 am »
Thanks, your port is quite usable and saves me a lot of work. I should be able to produce a working alpha before the end of the week using this.

Question: I am wondering if it would be better to release this as a seperate emulator or integrate it into LynGOO. The advantage of the latter would be that it would only take installation of one SIM file and the menus could be reused etc. Any opinions on this?

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:19:58 am »
In my opinion, one emu = one type of emulation (except Sega GameGear/Master System which use really same hardware ^^).

Also, i'm happy that my source code helps you a lot ^^.

Kalisiin

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »
My opinion...leave LynGoo separate...and have StellaGOO separate.
I think that integration is part of the problem I had with certain other Atari emu's...which shall not be named here.

Seriously, would be awesome to see StellaGOO released, and as a separate thing from LynGOO.

I'm still hoping something can be done for Roadblasters.  Heck, even if there's a way to just turn off the background rendering for JUST THAT ONE GAME...as an option...it would solve the problem of the graphical error....and it wouldn't freeze, either.  Just a thought.

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:04:27 pm »
I'm still hoping something can be done for Roadblasters.  Heck, even if there's a way to just turn off the background rendering for JUST THAT ONE GAME...as an option...it would solve the problem of the graphical error....and it wouldn't freeze, either.  Just a thought.

Offtopic: Well, there used to be code in one of the LynGOO betas which skipped a whole lot of the rendering phase. That code is gone however. I'm still hoping that I can find the cause of the glitches, but I give it little chance as the original Handy emulator contains the glitches as well.

Chris23235

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »
Don't have a problem with one emulator file. Don't see any disadvantges, but don't see any problem in having two seperate files there either. If it is less work for you, I would say, let's integrate it into LynGoo.

OFFTOPIC @Kalisiin
Your problems with Dingux-Atari are very unique, every Atari 8 Bit computer emulator I know emulates the whole Atari 8-Bit range (Atari 400/800/XL/XE/5200= and nobody except you seems to have any problems with that.

Kalisiin

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »
Don't have a problem with one emulator file. Don't see any disadvantges, but don't see any problem in having two seperate files there either. If it is less work for you, I would say, let's integrate it into LynGoo.

OFFTOPIC @Kalisiin
Your problems with Dingux-Atari are very unique, every Atari 8 Bit computer emulator I know emulates the whole Atari 8-Bit range (Atari 400/800/XL/XE/5200= and nobody except you seems to have any problems with that.

It's not really problems...just that the particular emu is a PAIN IN THE BUTT to load things up in, because of the need to always to thru the blue screen instead of the easy way.

I'd hate to see Lyngoo and Stellagoo get messed up in that same sort of way.

Chris23235

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:35 pm »
What you always refer as the "blue screen" is the normal UI of the Atari 800 Emulator. The loading of a file via the "blue screen" is the normal way to load a file with this emulator. It is no exception and it is not difficult or hard to understand. The option to load files with the Dingux-Atari UI is limited, cause the underlying emulator Atari 800 uses different options to load different type of files. There is simply no way to load every filetype with one function, unless you start rewriting big parts of the original emulator.

The Atari 800 Emulator has plenty of options, Zx decided, that the user didn't have to use all of them, if he don't want to, so he integrated his own UI into the Emulator.
But with this limited interface, you can't except to have access to all the options, that are necessary, if you want to emulate a rather complex machine, as an Atari 8-Bit Homecomputer. So Zx left the user the possibility to use only a few options of the emulator with his UI or all the options with the original UI.
What you call Pain in the butt is the exact opposite, it is an emulator, written by someone who tries to make something right for everybody, for you, who only want to have limited access to the functions and for the other people, who are interested in the more complex functions of the machine.
Maybe it would have helped, if you took a look at the excellent Atari800 emulator docs. They explain every function in detail.

And by the way, it isn't necessary to load the 5200 games via the original Atari 800 menu. Every game developed for the 5200 exists in an identical version (except for the controls) for the Atari 400/800/XL/XE range. Just take this version and you can load it up straight with Zx UI. In fact these versions are superior to the 5200 versions, cause the 5200 had analogue controls, that can't be emulated on a digital input device.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:21:09 pm by Chris23235 »

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:32 pm »
Back on topic please.

I also think it's best to leave them separate.
If emulators started doing this, I think there could be problems with conflicts later down the road.

Hellblaze

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:50 am »
Question: I am wondering if it would be better to release this as a seperate emulator or integrate it into LynGOO. The advantage of the latter would be that it would only take installation of one SIM file and the menus could be reused etc. Any opinions on this?

I don't think installing a second SIM file would be much of a problem, even less so with Harteex working on the Dingoo Mega Pack.

If combining the two would make things easier on you, I say go for it.

However, wouldn't this make tracking down bugs more complicated in the long run?

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:22 am »
I'll start with separate emulators as that seems to be the preference of most people.

Kalisiin

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 02:44:25 pm »
What you always refer as the "blue screen" is the normal UI of the Atari 800 Emulator. The loading of a file via the "blue screen" is the normal way to load a file with this emulator. It is no exception and it is not difficult or hard to understand. The option to load files with the Dingux-Atari UI is limited, cause the underlying emulator Atari 800 uses different options to load different type of files. There is simply no way to load every filetype with one function, unless you start rewriting big parts of the original emulator.

The Atari 800 Emulator has plenty of options, Zx decided, that the user didn't have to use all of them, if he don't want to, so he integrated his own UI into the Emulator.
But with this limited interface, you can't except to have access to all the options, that are necessary, if you want to emulate a rather complex machine, as an Atari 8-Bit Homecomputer. So Zx left the user the possibility to use only a few options of the emulator with his UI or all the options with the original UI.
What you call Pain in the butt is the exact opposite, it is an emulator, written by someone who tries to make something right for everybody, for you, who only want to have limited access to the functions and for the other people, who are interested in the more complex functions of the machine.
Maybe it would have helped, if you took a look at the excellent Atari800 emulator docs. They explain every function in detail.

And by the way, it isn't necessary to load the 5200 games via the original Atari 800 menu. Every game developed for the 5200 exists in an identical version (except for the controls) for the Atari 400/800/XL/XE range. Just take this version and you can load it up straight with Zx UI. In fact these versions are superior to the 5200 versions, cause the 5200 had analogue controls, that can't be emulated on a digital input device.

I never had a single 5200 Atari Rom that loaded thru what you call ZX UI.  I ALWAYS had to use the darn blue screen...which, at least originally, was not very well explained in the readme documents.

Now PLEASE quit goading me off-topic.

Kalisiin

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 02:45:18 pm »
I'll start with separate emulators as that seems to be the preference of most people.

Beautiful!
Thanks, Spiller!  + karma for you.

Post a new topic