Author Topic: Advantages of each SDK?  (Read 8938 times)

speeder

Advantages of each SDK?
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:52 pm »
I noticed there are several SDK available...

I downloaded the multiplatform one, and noticed it is kinda messy (I faced several issues to make it work...), also it seemly does not tie into a IDE, and there are no way to debug stuff (not even printf shotgunning work...)

The official SDK don't looked at it...

Also there are some others around...

So, what are the advantages and disvantages of each SDK? (note for those that find that relevant: I have both Windows and Fedora here).

flatmush

Re: Advantages of each SDK?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:12:47 am »
Most of the SDKs merged into the Dingoo SDK project (http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-sdk), it's the most complete and useable cross-platform SDK to use.

The official S2D SDK is very limited and was only really used before I released some of my SDK stuff.

The cross platform SDK is something I didn't really look into since it seemed incredibly messy.

clach04

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:15:26 am »
So, what are the advantages and disvantages of each SDK? (note for those that find that relevant: I have both Windows and Fedora here).

I only briefly looked at the multi platform SDK but I never used it. I'm not sure there any (m)any users of the multi platform SDK on this forum.

I've used flatmush's SDK under Windows and Linux x86 (Tiny Core and Ubuntu). It is really easy to use and easy to add to if you find anything missing.

speeder

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:18 pm »
I've heard the official SDK has a emulator... It work properly? Also, it has a debugger? (because seemly the non-official SDK there are no way to debug unless you use a soldering iron to use the serial port available on the board...)

flatmush

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:49:17 am »
The official SDK can compile for both Windows and Dingoo, however it's very limited and fairly useless. The Dingoo-SDK can compile for windows/linux/dingoo if you use SDL and is much less limited.

If you want on-target-debugging then you'd need Dingux as it's not supported at all by the native OS, though you can solder on a serial cable to get debug output if you really want (I just write debug to a file, or to the screen).

As I always say: You don't need to debug if you just avoid making mistakes in the first place.

djdron

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »
As I always say: You don't need to debug if you just avoid making mistakes in the first place.

Yes, but some problems still may appears - stack owerflow, malloc return NULL, etc ;-)

flatmush

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »

Yes, but some problems still may appears - stack owerflow, malloc return NULL, etc ;-)

I would consider each of those to be mistakes, each one should be planned for.

djdron

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:44 am »
flatmush, yes, but when you port some existing software, this mistakes is too hard to resolve.

flatmush

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »
Allowing mistakes because you are just copying them from elsewhere isn't an excuse :P

Post a new topic