Author Topic: SNAIL W3D ALREADY IN STOCK?!  (Read 56007 times)

DroidX2

Re: SNAIL W3D ALREADY IN STOCK?!
« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2017, 01:12:03 pm »
By the way, had anyone tested the system performance without Xposed, or with Xposed but without removing the jex files from the framework (does the system work stable despite Xposed's warnings when the jex files are present)? In some games, when the game becomes sluggish, I also find it as sluggish to open the notification drawers or do anything else. I don't have a solid proof that Xposed or GravityBox might have something to do with this as I used them from the very beginning so as to migrate the tweaks that I used on 78P01 to the new device (excluding the incompatible ones).

I've noticed the same sluggishness, but only when the back becomes hot. I presume it is cutting back performance to handle heat. I would play Shadow Fight for a while, not too long, and after about 5, maybe six matches, the back would heat up and the game would begin to run slowly. Granted, I do have xposed (undeodexed) with gravity box. Other games don't seem to cause the sluggishness, only certain games. Problem not found within 78p01, even when hot, it still ran effectively. I'm trying a few different apps with voltage control to see if they can help any.

I've downloaded a few more games, such as bullet force and Madden. Both installed without issue to internal. I haven't applied the patch since so far I've been able to install and update without issue. Also trying to test Liquidsky PC Game streaming app, just waiting on account validation. Assassin Creed identity installed good as well, however, like many devices, trying to play it on the W3D is hit and miss. Honestly, I think KITKAT is to blame for the inconsistencies. In some cases, I wish there was a Jellybean rom for the device, since oddly enough, AC: Identity plays on the 78p01.

Other notables, Oceanhorn, dynasty warriors unleashed, NFS: No limts, all install and play. Most don't cause the issue that Shadow Fight does, with the slowdown and battery heat.

Currently testing 6.1.1 all I can before moving to 6.1.2 and see if the issues match, or if there were silent updates. Hopefully, there's an 6.1.3 by now. Unfortunately, the scene is very quiet, those with the device or either satisfied, or have thrown it against a wall, lol! Either way, no ones talking too much.

I'll update further as I conduct more testing.

EDIT: It should be noticed that while I used to get prompted whether to forbid an app from auto-starting so I can choose whenever an app gets installed or updated while I was still on 6.1.1 International, in 6.1.2 (and probably all Chinese versions), I'm no longer prompted and the newly installed or updated apps are automatically set forbidden from auto-starting (probably regardless of my previous settings). I dunno where I can change this behavior.

By the way, to change that option, it will be in SETTING-SECURITY, look for auto-start management.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:17:01 pm by DroidX2 »

LSS932

« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2017, 05:26:37 am »
I've noticed the same sluggishness, but only when the back becomes hot. I presume it is cutting back performance to handle heat. I would play Shadow Fight for a while, not too long, and after about 5, maybe six matches, the back would heat up and the game would begin to run slowly. Granted, I do have xposed (undeodexed) with gravity box. Other games don't seem to cause the sluggishness, only certain games. Problem not found within 78p01, even when hot, it still ran effectively. I'm trying a few different apps with voltage control to see if they can help any.
I've been playing around with governors through Kernel Adiutor lately. Unfortunately, it does not help much, even though the stock kernel does provide some governors other than its default "interactive". Even under performance governor the games in question still slows down, and some other games can cause a hard freeze with ondemand governor (screen stops with sound screeches like when a Windows PC is about to BSoD, can do nothing other than long pressing power or pulling out the battery).

I even tried a few stuffs like Seeder (can be found on XDA), but it's still not enough to solve the slowdown issue. (It looks like Kernel Adiutor can as well tweak the system entropy but I haven't tried)

I've downloaded a few more games, such as bullet force and Madden. Both installed without issue to internal. I haven't applied the patch since so far I've been able to install and update without issue. Also trying to test Liquidsky PC Game streaming app, just waiting on account validation. Assassin Creed identity installed good as well, however, like many devices, trying to play it on the W3D is hit and miss. Honestly, I think KITKAT is to blame for the inconsistencies. In some cases, I wish there was a Jellybean rom for the device, since oddly enough, AC: Identity plays on the 78p01.

Other notables, Oceanhorn, dynasty warriors unleashed, NFS: No limts, all install and play. Most don't cause the issue that Shadow Fight does, with the slowdown and battery heat.

The phone's having KitKat enabled me to let my Android Wear smartwatch connect to it, which 78P01 could not as Android Wear requires Android 4.3. Though so far only Android Wear 1.3 can properly connect the phone with the watch, and I had to disable auto update on the play store and ignore all such notifications, since any versions starting from 1.4 would not connect, when pairing, it got stuck at the pairing stage.

Currently testing 6.1.1 all I can before moving to 6.1.2 and see if the issues match, or if there were silent updates. Hopefully, there's an 6.1.3 by now. Unfortunately, the scene is very quiet, those with the device or either satisfied, or have thrown it against a wall, lol! Either way, no ones talking too much.

So far there are no new versions coming out. The only change 6.1.2 has is making the L2/R2 buttons actually useful, though only for the KeyAdapter.

By the way, to change that option, it will be in SETTING-SECURITY, look for auto-start management.

It doesn't seem to be the right place. Apparently in the Settings screen there's this Application Auto Start Manager, yet it only allows changing whether to allow or forbid the app from auto-starting. This thing seems to take priority over the one you mentioned. In 6.1.1 International whenever an app gets updated I get a prompt whether to allow or deny, but in 6.1.2 Chinese regardless of my previous setting the app will be automatically set to be forbidden to auto-start upon update, and I get only a toast notification instead of a prompt when it happens. (I do recall having similar behavior in 6.1.1 Chinese as well)
L.S.S.

DroidX2

« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »
Concerning the heating issue, I've heated the device by playing Shadow Fight, and as usual the game slowed down. However, nothing else slowed down or halted. I'll do more tests, there is an update for Shadow Fight I need to download. What game are you testing that causes your slowdown?

Concerning the smartwatch issue, that's a weird one. One of my buying choices was for smartwatch compatibility, currently holding off getting one until I can fix my data connection. I seem to be only registering to 850 frequency, even though I'm picking up the other frequencies for 3G, 1900 and 2100. Are you running 6.1.2 or 6.1.1 international or Chinese?

Concerning the Autostart, seems like more was done in the 6.1.2 update other than the L2/R2 fix if the autostart now auto denies any new app. Is there an added option menu in the 6.1.2? I haven't installed it as of yet since I'm still checking a few things.

DroidX2

« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
False alarm with Shadow Fight. Seems I've gotten used to blaming the device that I forget about regular Android issues. It seems that a malicious app, some kind of "TcheirekSkipjacklyService" was running in the background while Shadow Fight was running. I got rid of the app and now, all though the device still gets hot, Shadow Fight doesn't slow down half as much. While there is still some slowing, it's not too bad.

I still haven't deodexed anything at the moment. I'll try more xposed mods to push the limits. So far everything is still good. Updates for games are installing as they should. Assassin Creed Identity still giving issues, but it's given many people issues so I'm not too concerned.

Still using 6.1.1 international. I'll update if I have anything of value to offer.

LSS932

« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2017, 02:30:55 am »
False alarm with Shadow Fight. Seems I've gotten used to blaming the device that I forget about regular Android issues. It seems that a malicious app, some kind of "TcheirekSkipjacklyService" was running in the background while Shadow Fight was running. I got rid of the app and now, all though the device still gets hot, Shadow Fight doesn't slow down half as much. While there is still some slowing, it's not too bad.

I still haven't deodexed anything at the moment. I'll try more xposed mods to push the limits. So far everything is still good. Updates for games are installing as they should. Assassin Creed Identity still giving issues, but it's given many people issues so I'm not too concerned.

Still using 6.1.1 international. I'll update if I have anything of value to offer.

Guess there are still a few more issues to solve. The slowdown seems to have many possible factors, and is possible that the storage I/O performance might be the case, since the phone performs poorly with both internal and external storage. I've been using SAMSUNG PRO series microSD cards that can naturally do around 80-90MB/s R/W as tested with a USB3.0 card reader, but on the phone, neither the internal storage nor the microSD card can do beyond 10MB/s unless a cache hit occurred. I'll try tweaking a bit more with Kernel Adiutor myself.

The only major issue is the audio... while the SoC has a good DAC its driver (or perhaps the system's audio services) performs poorly and gets interrupted easily by external factors. Notably that the launch sequence of certain games (well I dunno what they do during launch behind the scenes), even phone calls, would stop or kill any running background media playback in W3D regardless, while such had never happened with 78P01. I even started having issues with my usual online radio player (it's a live stream) suddenly stopped with a "Failed to play audio." toast notification that came from nowhere, even on foreground.

Also, it seems I'm able to run the latest Android Wear on W3D as well... though I dunno if I'll still need to configure the watch using the 1.3 version which was the one that I was eventually able to successfully connect the watch.

Unfortunately, this phone and probably the MT6595 SoC in overall was hardly popular to the modders compared to MT6592 which 78P01 was based on... I tried placing Meizu MX4's CM12 port into the phone after following the first few steps of this guide, initially it could not boot at all, though I could not blame anything as the MX4 port's kernel version was a bit higher than W3D's stock one (3.10.35).

If I had time I might try all the steps in the "Fixing Bugs" section, but even so, the resulted ROM may not be in anywhere near the word "usable" (especially given the soft BACK/HOME/MENU buttons and the built-in gamepad functions, something that rarely exist in mainstream phones nor ROM ports), and that the phone is currently my daily driver and I can't afford to have too much downtime with trying these on.

As for 6.1.2... I think it's optional to actually install it. Apparently the behavior of auto-forbidding all newly installed/updated apps from auto-starting is exclusive to the Chinese firmware, including earlier ones. In International firmware the phone would let the user decide what to do instead. Also, for some reason I find that some apps (Including Kernel Adiutor) still would not auto-start even after I allowed it in Settings and have properly turned on the "start on boot" option inside the app...

By the way, I haven't tried, but one can try manually sideloading both the KeyAdapter.apk and KeyAdapterResForISeries.apk from the 6.1.2 firmware (can be extracted from app.img in its update.zip, using ext4 unpacker) to get access to the L2/R2 buttons... If the new firmware update did not update anything besides that, that is...

Still, without kernel source code it won't be easy to improve the phone's experience any further.
L.S.S.

DroidX2

« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:09 am »
Ah, didn't think about that with the keymapper. I'll have to extract and try that on 6.1.1 and let you know if it works.

For audio, I stream a lot using spotify and apple music. It plays pretty good. I even stream in the car and the music stops during a call and resumes afterward. I get the occasional music still playing hiccup, but that happens on other phones too. Music in the background however, does stop when a game cut scene is started. Its like the cut scene of the game and the music are using the same app to play.

Concerning the SD card, in ROM toolbox, there's an SD booster. Do you think that would help the I/O speeds? I'll test it out as well and let you know what I get.

LSS932

« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2017, 12:57:52 am »
Ah, didn't think about that with the keymapper. I'll have to extract and try that on 6.1.1 and let you know if it works.

For audio, I stream a lot using spotify and apple music. It plays pretty good. I even stream in the car and the music stops during a call and resumes afterward. I get the occasional music still playing hiccup, but that happens on other phones too. Music in the background however, does stop when a game cut scene is started. Its like the cut scene of the game and the music are using the same app to play.

Concerning the SD card, in ROM toolbox, there's an SD booster. Do you think that would help the I/O speeds? I'll test it out as well and let you know what I get.

The Kernel Adiutor is capable of doing such, and setting a higher read-ahead does help with the slowdown, but still not enough as the phone's naturally incapable of supporting UHS speeds, and its uncached I/O speed is naturally terrible for both internal and external storage (~10MB/s), which results in the fact that the performance difference when app's external data is in internal storage or external storage (can be adjusted through XInternalSD) is pretty much negligible with SD cards of very high performance, whereas in some modern phones, such can still be significant.

And regarding the auto-start... it seems there are some other problems with it as apparently most apps still don't auto-start even after I explicitly allowed them... this includes Kernel Adiutor. Guess I perhaps need to also enable it in the protected background apps settings or the apps get killed immediately after, if started in the background and was hardly in focus...

As for the background music stops when certain app or cutscene is in focus... well, such had never happened on 78P01 even with the same set of apps. Apparently, with W3D some activities almost 100% stops or kills other background media, while there are some other that don't always cause such. Still, this issue has only caused me some minor inconveniences, and I'm yet to determine whether it's due to the changes in KitKat, or due to the memory, but the latter is not likely as IMO the 78P01 and W3D have a similar system resource capacity...
L.S.S.

DroidX2

« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2017, 08:47:47 pm »
Key Adapter update success! I unpacked the app.img and extracted the KEY ADAPTER and KEYADAPTERRESFORLSERIES apks. From there I tried a general install, which went through, but the buttons weren't available. Checking the installed apps, the apks were installed on internal, but not system. I tried using LINK2SD to push them to system, but to no avail.

I then used ROOTEXPLORER and copied them to the SYSTEM/APP folder, once transferred, I reinstalled the apps again, and then restarted. Upon restart, I got the ANDROID IS UPGRADING screen. Opened a game, checked the available buttons, and L2/R2 were available. I added a button to verify it wasn't only cosmetic, and the buttons worked.

So I currently now have L2/R2 functionality in the MUCH MAPPER, using international firmware 6.1.1.

Below, I uploaded the APKS.

KEY ADAPTER - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1zvVczn5zv1V0JCU01sSV9Selk
KEY ADAPTER RES FOR L SERIES - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1zvVczn5zv1Z3NBdnk0aFBIcFU

There may be a simpler way to do it, but that's just what I did.

MAJOR THANKS LSS932!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:53:44 pm by DroidX2 »

captainjack

« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:05 am »
Key Adapter update success! I unpacked the app.img and extracted the KEY ADAPTER and KEYADAPTERRESFORLSERIES apks. From there I tried a general install, which went through, but the buttons weren't available. Checking the installed apps, the apks were installed on internal, but not system. I tried using LINK2SD to push them to system, but to no avail.

I then used ROOTEXPLORER and copied them to the SYSTEM/APP folder, once transferred, I reinstalled the apps again, and then restarted. Upon restart, I got the ANDROID IS UPGRADING screen. Opened a game, checked the available buttons, and L2/R2 were available. I added a button to verify it wasn't only cosmetic, and the buttons worked.

So I currently now have L2/R2 functionality in the MUCH MAPPER, using international firmware 6.1.1.

Below, I uploaded the APKS.

KEY ADAPTER - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1zvVczn5zv1V0JCU01sSV9Selk
KEY ADAPTER RES FOR L SERIES - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1zvVczn5zv1Z3NBdnk0aFBIcFU

There may be a simpler way to do it, but that's just what I did.

MAJOR THANKS LSS932!!!

So to confirm, I just need to install both those APKs and the R2 and L2 buttons will work properly?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to switch the menu button into the recent apps / multi-tasking button? It's probably the most annoying part about this phone so far.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:47:39 am by captainjack »

DroidX2

« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2017, 06:51:34 pm »

So to confirm, I just need to install both those APKs and the R2 and L2 buttons will work properly?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to switch the menu button into the recent apps / multi-tasking button? It's probably the most annoying part about this phone so far.

Not exactly. Just installing them didn't work for me. To install will require root.

Download files, open your preferred ROOT EXPLORER app. navigate to where the files were downloaded, and copy the files.
Navigate back to root folder of device, the click on SYSTEM, the APP. In the folder, you will see a few apks and obb files of the various apps on the device.

Like all mods, for safety purposes, I would copy the original KEY ADAPTER files in this folder to a safe location BEFORE replacing them with the new ones.

Once the original files have been backed up, copy the new files to the folder. It may ask you to replace the files there, you can replace.

Once the new files are copied, if you click on the app, you can install it. Install both of the newly added apps.

Once installed, restart the device.

As for the recent apps, try holding down the soft home button. That pulls up the recent apps and task manager.

Leaderbell (OP)

« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:54 pm »
W3D is no longer in stock (OYE Shop). I think is finally dead and will die without having one. It was never worthy with that price. Now i'm waiting for the PGS (Q1 of 2018). I always keep in touch with them and I will have good news in the next days.

DroidX2

« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »
Ohhh, yeah, W3D is gone. In comes the Snail I7!

As for PGS, that device is no longer a phone, or an Android device. Its just another mobile Windows 10 device now.

Leaderbell (OP)

« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2017, 03:12:27 pm »
Ohhh, yeah, W3D is gone. In comes the Snail I7!

As for PGS, that device is no longer a phone, or an Android device. Its just another mobile Windows 10 device now.

Yeah, i noticed that about PGS, sadly. Don't like the i7 form factor, it doesn't have L2/R2, Start/Select, slider sticks... but something nobody talks about it is that doesn't have even the MicroSD Slot. W3D was the one and only that had 3 dedicated slots instead that hybrid feature of the rest.

DroidX2

« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2017, 06:48:59 pm »
Yeah, I've been reading about that lately. It's weird indeed, considering this is a gaming phone, expandable storage should be a standard. But to me, the only issue was the phone support in the US. The I7 seems to only support the same bands the W3D supported, which isn't much here in the US. It's really the only reason I sold the W3D. Aside from that, the device was great!

The W3D did have an issue with saving to the SD Card, so maybe Snail couldn't figure it out and just omitted the whole thing.

Leaderbell (OP)

« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2018, 04:32:23 pm »
There's a rumour about project Wonder. They supossedly have owned the W3D form factor (and many others) pretending to create a big ecosystem of smart devices for gaming. And boosted with people from many important companies working on it (even famous ones like Shakira and Kevin Spacey as ''partners'')... i don't know Rick, it looks fake :v

https://www.wonder.com/

DroidX2

« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »
Hmm, well, I'll try to refrain from making cliche one-liners using the name "wonder". Instead, guess all we can do is wait and see what develops. Kinda like PGS, beautiful website design, renders, name dropping, all that doesn't make a good system.

I'm just glad that companies are getting interested in making it. If all else fails, they could make a slide-out game controller Moto-Mod, with a button mapper, that'd be nice!

But, I'll stay posted, and see what comes next.

Post a new topic