Author Topic: Snail Mobile i7  (Read 5811 times)

Miles Wolf

Re: Snail Mobile i7
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »
Really is unfortunate that a slider gaming phone hasn't been made since the Xperia Play.

The slider design has two main problems:

- Overheats easier than a non-sliding machine. The PSVita was going to have a sliding desing and this reason made Sony change it.

- Flex cable problems. Something very very common in the PSP Go and the Xperia Play.

DroidX2

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 05:36:32 pm »
Really is unfortunate that a slider gaming phone hasn't been made since the Xperia Play.

The slider design has two main problems:

- Overheats easier than a non-sliding machine. The PSVita was going to have a sliding desing and this reason made Sony change it.

- Flex cable problems. Something very very common in the PSP Go and the Xperia Play.

Very true. I have an Xperia Play now that is having a flex cable issue. It would be my second time repairing it. However, a minor issue when it comes to the greatness of the design. I still think the Xperia Play was the step child of Sony, and was rushed out when the merger with Ericsson was coming to a close.

As for overheating on the Xplay, it's my first time hearing about it.

As for the Snail i7, I think the design is nice, and won't be any bigger than an iPhone 6 with an Otterbox on it, although admittedly, that's still some heft.

R2112 (OP)

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 05:44:28 pm »
Had there been an Xplay 2 with a dual core and double the ram I'd probably still be rocking it.

DroidX2

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 05:50:22 pm »
Heck yeah, just last year I was still rocking the original Xplay. The slider design was best for turning the device into a phone or gaming device on the fly. That design also allows for better button placement, such as Start and Select, heck, maybe even a Share button. They could even use the extra space to add a logo of sorts to the middle, or L3 and R3.

dilemina

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:17 pm »
I wonder, if Sony, or another company did make a successor to the Xperia Play, with slide-out controls, good specs, and actual AAA titles (probably only Sony could do this). If it would fare better than the past handhelds or other sets of Sony phones.

How would it compare?

What would be the benchmark for success?

How could Sony convince game developers that the platform could be viable for their AAA games?

Anyway, this type of stuff has been talked about on here before.

I hope that the new Snail i7 actually fixes the stupid joystick driver problem that plagues all of their devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DroidX2

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 11:46:22 pm »
I wonder, if Sony, or another company did make a successor to the Xperia Play, with slide-out controls, good specs, and actual AAA titles (probably only Sony could do this). If it would fare better than the past handhelds or other sets of Sony phones.

How would it compare?

How could Sony convince game developers that the platform could be viable for their AAA games?

I hope that the new Snail i7 actually fixes the stupid joystick driver problem that plagues all of their devices.

Yeah, among other software hiccups that plaque the older devices, like the refresh rate. As for Sony making a new Xplay, well, I doubt that honestly. Even with the greatest sales pitch, at best, Sony is only interested in the smartphone gaming market, which is touch screen only, so no need for dedicated hardware. I thought maybe ForwardWorks from Sony would bring some change, but they are probably just a middleman for Sony to release their franchises to mobile.

Hate to say it, but in the phone/gaming hybrid market, Snail is all we have. Closest runner up is Motorola with the MotoMod gamepad.

dilemina

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 04:22:06 am »

How would it compare?

Yeah, among other software hiccups that plaque the older devices, like the refresh rate. As for Sony making a new Xplay, well, I doubt that honestly. Even with the greatest sales pitch, at best, Sony is only interested in the smartphone gaming market, which is touch screen only, so no need for dedicated hardware. I thought maybe ForwardWorks from Sony would bring some change, but they are probably just a middleman for Sony to release their franchises to mobile.

Hate to say it, but in the phone/gaming hybrid market, Snail is all we have. Closest runner up is Motorola with the MotoMod gamepad.

Agree with you there. Although, if Sony does come out with another handheld console, I think the smartest thing to do would be to make it a smartphone.

I doubt they will though, considering the hoops they would have to run through to get exclusive software in the thing, and the side loading that android devices allow would probably doom it from third party AAA development.

A dude can dream though.

Anyways, good luck to snail. I like the design and build quality of most of ireadygo's stuff. They just need to improve at putting in those obvious fixes that get more irritating with each successive product they produce, because they all tend to have the same problems.

siegel17701

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 05:13:30 am »
Any word on release date?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

R2112 (OP)

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 02:48:43 pm »
Original article says July 30th for more info / release, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if the W3D was anything to go by. That took years to actually materialize.

Interestingly, I found this
"Helio X20 (MT6797) is a 64-bit deca-core ARM LTE system on a chip designed by MediaTek and introduced in early 2016. This SoC incorporates 3 independent clusters of cores (called "Tri-Cluster" by MediaTek) operating at varying degrees of performance designed for certain workloads (operating at 1.4 GHz, 1.85 GHz, and 2.3 GHz) and supports up to 6 GiB of dual-channel LPDDR3-1866 memory. This SoC also incorporates a Mali-T800 MP4 IGP operating at 780 MHz. The chip has a modem supporting LTE User Equipment (UE) category 6."

Bold is my own emphasis - since it tops out at 6GB, I wonder if there's a better chip along with the 8GB/128GB version?
Source: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/mediatek/helio/mt6797

DroidX2

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
Original article says July 30th for more info / release, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if the W3D was anything to go by. That took years to actually materialize.

Interestingly, I found this
"Helio X20 (MT6797) is a 64-bit deca-core ARM LTE system on a chip designed by MediaTek and introduced in early 2016. This SoC incorporates 3 independent clusters of cores (called "Tri-Cluster" by MediaTek) operating at varying degrees of performance designed for certain workloads (operating at 1.4 GHz, 1.85 GHz, and 2.3 GHz) and supports up to 6 GiB of dual-channel LPDDR3-1866 memory. This SoC also incorporates a Mali-T800 MP4 IGP operating at 780 MHz. The chip has a modem supporting LTE User Equipment (UE) category 6."

Bold is my own emphasis - since it tops out at 6GB, I wonder if there's a better chip along with the 8GB/128GB version?
Source: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/mediatek/helio/mt6797

Hmmm, that is interesting indeed? If the wiki info is correct, that does raise the question. Good find!

Anyways, good luck to snail. I like the design and build quality of most of ireadygo's stuff. They just need to improve at putting in those obvious fixes that get more irritating with each successive product they produce, because they all tend to have the same problems.

That statement clearly sums up a Snail release.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:11:00 pm by DroidX2 »

Phawx

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 08:27:04 pm »

I contacted them and they said sometime in August

siegel17701

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 11:09:57 pm »
Awesome. Do we know if it will come with NFC or rooted? Are there any real specs listed. I would live lte bands for the US. Can't wait for the gpd xd vs. videos!

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

DroidX2

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:15 am »

I contacted them and they said sometime in August

Wait, they actually responded??? Maybe they're serious this time!

dilemina

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 03:11:54 am »
When (if) it comes out, I would buy it from this store https://muchsm.tmall.com/shop/view_shop.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.79.ebb2eb2oSxzT7&user_number_id=931140300

Seems to be unofficially the official store for Snail/MUCH/iReadyGO products.

Better prices than the oye store and other resellers, but need google translate if you don't know Chinese.

DroidX2

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
When (if) it comes out, I would buy it from this store https://muchsm.tmall.com/shop/view_shop.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.79.ebb2eb2oSxzT7&user_number_id=931140300

Seems to be unofficially the official store for Snail/MUCH/iReadyGO products.

Better prices than the oye store and other resellers, but need google translate if you don't know Chinese.

Don't you need a Chinese Bank account to order from TaoBao?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic