Author Topic: Setup Emulation  (Read 10599 times)

sadgasm (OP)

Setup Emulation
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
Hi there,
since my Gametab One is on its way I am planning which Apps and games I want to install. Therefore I am planning emulation. I wan to use Gamesome to have a single Frontend for playing my roms.
I want to play the following meulators:
NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS, PSX, PSP, Master system, Mega Drive, Mega CD, Neo Geo, Mame, (and Scumm VM)

-Which emulators (if possible free ones) should I download?

-Do I just install Gamesome too or do I have to combine them?

-How do I input the roms to have a proper library view with cover etc? Do I have to tag them myself?
Handhelds:
Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES Edition + EZ Flash IV, Nintendo DSLite + M4i Gold, PSP 1001, Big Ben Gametab One

Consoles:
Nintendo Super Enterteinment System, Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel, Sony Playstation 1, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3

skelton

Re: Setup Emulation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »
Hi there,
since my Gametab One is on its way I am planning which Apps and games I want to install. Therefore I am planning emulation. I wan to use Gamesome to have a single Frontend for playing my roms.
I want to play the following meulators:
NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS, PSX, PSP, Master system, Mega Drive, Mega CD, Neo Geo, Mame, (and Scumm VM)

-Which emulators (if possible free ones) should I download?

-Do I just install Gamesome too or do I have to combine them?

-How do I input the roms to have a proper library view with cover etc? Do I have to tag them myself?

- Retroarch for almost everything and PPSSPP for PSP. Reciast for DC. For nintendo64 mupen64 AE, and ePSXe for psx is a good choice too. Drastic for NDS and mame4droid 0.139 for MAME. (though retroarch has mame too). No idea about scummVM, never played it in Android.

- I have never used Gamesome, but as far as I know is a frontend, so you need your emulators and the frontend both installed.

- Some emus allow covers like epsxe and SuperGnes. If you want everything with covers I suppose you need gamesome frontend.
Retired

Rock27

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:22:02 pm »
PPSSPP+HD for PSP
Drastic for NDS
Mupen+HD+OpenGL for N64
FPSE+HD+OpenGL for PS1
SuperGnes+OpenGL for SNES
JohnNes for NES
MyBoy for GBA
DosBox for D.O.S games
UAE4Droid for Amiga

Dont use retroarch
GameSome is only a frontenf, you need the emulators, is good for little childrens, not for me..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:23:46 pm by Rock27 »

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
Why shouldnt I use Retroarch?
Handhelds:
Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES Edition + EZ Flash IV, Nintendo DSLite + M4i Gold, PSP 1001, Big Ben Gametab One

Consoles:
Nintendo Super Enterteinment System, Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel, Sony Playstation 1, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3

BoyNamedSue

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:39:56 pm »
Sorry for the noob question, but what does + hd and +OpenGl mean?

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:39 am »
Yeah I would like to know that too und I still would like to know why I shouldnt use Retroarch.

My Gametab One is finally there and now I am preparing all the emulators for making a review.

This are additional questions I have:

-The Speed for the NES Emulators is too fast, what can I do to correct that?

-The Virtual Boy emulator uses red and black graphics, but I would like to play in black and white. Is it possible to change the color scheme?

-Can I play the GBA emulator with more speed, than normal (I play Pokemon roms while playing music and on Pokemon I would like to improve the speed)?

-The button layout of the action buttons is mixed, is it possible on Retroarch to set them up differently?

-I tried PPSSPP with this custom made, Zelda Game. It works, but it doesnt run flawlessly. Could someone with another device test how it runs on his device?

-I played ePSXe with a Tomba (I didnt had another rom available and I am trying some other later), the sound did not work probably, it was kind of doubled, what can I do about that?

-Since Android wallpapers are cutted strangely, is there a site for Android wallpapers which are already perfectly adjusted/cutted?

-The gametab one can run 64GB microSD cards. Is there any you would recommend? Lowest price possible with max speed would be great.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:31:46 am by sadgasm »
Handhelds:

Consoles:

procyon

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:00:28 am »
HD = "High Definition", but in this context, it means that the emulator will run 3D games at higher than the native resolution, potentially producing a picture that's of higher quality, but less faithful, than the original system was capable of.  OpenGL = the standard libraries upon which most 3D games and emulators are built on.  Google for more information.

Compared to other emulators, Retroarch is considered fairly clunky and difficult to use.  Only personal experience can guide you on this.  Try it.  If you like it, keep it.  If you don't, there are plenty of alternatives out there.

Some of the best emulators to use are the .emu series by Robert Broglia.  If you're too cheap to fork out the dough for them, there are alternative ways of obtaining them, but I'm not going to discuss them here.

Your question about the NES emulator is too vague.  Which one are you using?  Is it not locking to 60FPS?

Do you mean the Virtual Boy emulator in retroarch?  No clue, I don't use it.  The Virtual Boy WAS in red and black, so running it in white and black would be a non-standard feature.

Performance will be compromised if you try to run two apps at once, like a music player and an emulator.  If you really have to do it, use a different device for music.

Keep your expectations about what a system can do to a reasonable level and you won't be disappointed.  Your tablet is not a PC, it's a tablet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:02:03 am by procyon »

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:36:22 am »
About my expectations: Until february 2012 I used a PC which was too old do play NDS roms, now I own a tablet which plays NDS, N64 and PSX flawlessly and has a good performance on Dreamcast and PSP (my Laptop I bought in 2012 now of course does that too), this device already surpased my expectations. :)

I already use Snes9x., therefore I will try his other emulators. Still I have to sai that on Super Mario world the image sometimes flickers and I dont like that for an emulator I paid for...

About the NES emulator I will be trying some other emulators and if the problem is still there I will bring it up again.

I know that the Virtual Boy was red and black, but I saw videos of a pc emulator which made it black and white and this is much easyer to play on.

About the music: I do not plan to listen to music on the same device.
Handhelds:

Consoles:

foleyjo

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:52:23 am »
Not sure why it was suggested you don't use Retroarch. You will need it for Sega CD emulation for a start. Some might argue that md.emu plays sega cd games but my answer to them is that it doesn't play many CD games.

Retroarch is the best choice for Sega  and Nintendo. (not including N64 DS and DC). Mix this with Gamesome and you have a nice little front end too. It can be difficult at first to set everything up but once you have got past the starting block you can have lots of fun.
For buttons if the auto mapper doesn't map them correctly you will need to turn off auto detection and use the custom mappings from the main menu.
PS1 games work well in Retroarch too

PPSSPP is the only option for PSP games. It's very buggy at the moment and you need to play with the settings a lot to get games working well.. However it is getting better each day. I would recommend you go to the ppsspp site and get the daily builds as they are faster. Also Non Buffered emulation works faster but misses some visuals.

For Scumm there is SCUMMVM on the play store but it's an old version. If you go to the SCUMMVM official forums you can find a daily test build on there which you can download and install (Using an APK installer that allows batch installs helps too as you have to download each engine seperatly from play, just make sure you install the main engine first). It works really well and even plays games like PQ4 (although it's still on a beta engine so it's very buggy)

I would change Rock27s list to say

PPSSPP for PSP
Drastic for NDS
Mupen and N64oidfor N64
FPSE or Retroarch for PS1
RetroArch for SNES
RetroArch for NES
RetroArch for GBA
RetroArch for Virtual Boy
RetroArch for Atari Lynx
RetroArch forSega Genesis 32x and CD
DosBox Turbo for D.O.S games
UAE4all2-SDL for Amiga (Plays AGA games at full speed including AB3D and Gloom)

geoque

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 04:08:01 am »
http://anddev.at.ua/load/scummvm_svn55436/1-1-0-7

For scummvm SDL by the same developer of uae4all2 SDL

Rock27

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:43:15 pm »
Not sure why it was suggested you don't use Retroarch. You will need it for Sega CD emulation for a start. Some might argue that md.emu plays sega cd games but my answer to them is that it doesn't play many CD games.

Retroarch is the best choice for Sega  and Nintendo. (not including N64 DS and DC). Mix this with Gamesome and you have a nice little front end too. It can be difficult at first to set everything up but once you have got past the starting block you can have lots of fun.
For buttons if the auto mapper doesn't map them correctly you will need to turn off auto detection and use the custom mappings from the main menu.

PPSSPP is the only option for PSP games. It's very buggy at the moment and you need to play with the settings a lot to get games working well.. However it is getting better each day. I would recommend you go to the ppsspp site and get the daily builds as they are faster. Also Non Buffered emulation works faster but misses some visuals.

For Scumm there is SCUMMVM on the play store but it's an old version. If you go to the SCUMMVM official forums you can find a daily test build on there which you can download and install (Using an APK installer that allows batch installs helps too as you have to download each engine seperatly from play, just make sure you install the main engine first). It works really well and even plays games like PQ4 (although it's still on a beta engine so it's very buggy)

PPSSPP for PSP
Drastic for NDS
Mupen and N64oidfor N64
RetroArch for SNES
RetroArch for NES
RetroArch for GBA
RetroArch for Atari Lynx

SuperGnes support enchanged OpenGl plug in that improve graphics game a lot.
JohnNes has screenshots of the last save state, for each game, that helps in the great library that Nintendo has to find games.
MyBoy is the best GBA emulator without question.

I would use retroarch only for rare systems, like Atari, Virtual Boy, Sega CD 32x, etc...

ePSXe and FPse are similar, this week FPse was update and now support a better open gl plug in, someone try it yet?? (i dont have the time...)

Offtophic: there is any good Saturn Emulator in ANdroid?? i want to play Shining Force 3 ...

skelton

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 02:51:39 pm »

PPSSPP for PSP
Drastic for NDS
Mupen and N64oidfor N64
RetroArch for SNES
RetroArch for NES
RetroArch for GBA
RetroArch for Atari Lynx

SuperGnes support enchanged OpenGl plug in that improve graphics game a lot.
JohnNes has screenshots of the last save state, for each game, that helps in the great library that Nintendo has to find games.
MyBoy is the best GBA emulator without question.

I would use retroarch only for rare systems, like Atari, Virtual Boy, Sega CD 32x, etc...

ePSXe and FPse are similar, this week FPse was update and now support a better open gl plug in, someone try it yet?? (i dont have the time...)

Offtophic: there is any good Saturn Emulator in ANdroid?? i want to play Shining Force 3 ...

SuperGnes is based on snes9xEX 1.43, less acurate than snes9x core from Retroarch, and has some issues in some games. Shaders in my opinion are awful, though probably needed in a 720p due to the need of scaling required.

Nestopia from Retroarch is much more accurate than Johnes.

PCSX Rearmed from retroarch is also more accurate than FPSE and ePSXe, especially in sound, though ePSXe and FPSe are fine.

For GBA, though myboy is fine, VBA-Next from retroarch is also more accurate, since myboy is based on gpsp.

I can understand that someone other emus because of the GUI or extra options, but in terms of accuracy, Retroarch cores are the way to go.
Retired

foleyjo

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 08:57:06 pm »
For scumm  I would still go for the builds on the official site.  The sdl features are OK but its still out of date compared to the test builds.
I found retroarch  best for snes  because it plays RoboCop vs terminator without flickering. 
Fpses new open gl driver is good but I still find retroarch more accurate with some games. 
Personally for ps1 I use a  combination of RA and fpse. 

geoque

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:54:52 am »
ScummVM-SDL 1.7.0git6530-12.05.2014

Cited from developer's page referenced in earlier post.

foleyjo

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 08:15:44 am »
The test/dev builds I'm refering to are daily builds so the latest one would be 21/5/2014

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 06:44:59 pm »
Edit: All questions are done
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:12:41 pm by sadgasm »
Handhelds:

Consoles:

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »
I make a daouble post to push.

-I usw NES.Emu, the emulation speed is too fast, how can I make it run on normal speed.

-I use Mame4droid. I got my Roms all from the same Page. With Splatterhouse it works perfectly with Metal Slug or Metal Slug 3 it says "The selected game is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images. Please select a different game" - How can I fix that?

-This is my first Android tablet. On my phone I can delete the apps be pressing the options buttons in the app overview. Here it seems to be only working in the Options app. Is there another way to delete apps?
Handhelds:

Consoles:

jamesensor

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 09:58:59 pm »
Some mame versions need more or less files from the original dump.

If you open a game zip you'll see lots of files. Among them, one or more files might be missing.
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 10:30:42 pm »
Where can I see if the version of the rom works with mame4droid before downloading? Could someone send me a private message with a site that provides the correct roms?
Handhelds:

Consoles:

jamesensor

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 02:40:57 am »
Perhaps getting mame for windows, same android version (0.139) and test the roms. If you pull a cmd window and start each rom with "mame game.zip", in the emulator folder, you'll get the feedback on it, saying what file it lacks. After that you just have to search for that file in google and put it inside the zip. There's also some .139 packages around the web, very easy to find.
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

Post a new topic
Post a new topic