Author Topic: Retroid Pocket  (Read 3436 times)

DingooSteve (OP)

Retroid Pocket
« on: March 27, 2020, 02:18:26 pm »
The Retroid Pocket is the repackaged Powkiddy A19 or SupRetro which has had a lot of changes including new joypad and its open Android. Mine is on order now. Taki Udon has done a thorough review of it (link below) and it looks very impressive.

https://youtu.be/c25Z8xZS4gE
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:21:48 pm by DingooSteve »

Zereth

Re: Retroid Pocket
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:09:30 am »
As far as I know it's the other way around: The SupRetro/Powkiddy A19 and others are based on previous iterations, so called "engineering samples". The device was not ready yet but several units kind of "leaked" into the hands of other companies (not the original developer) so they made a bunch and sold them. Those have the round d-pad, have a plastic screen and lack other several improvements. The original developer rebranded it to "Retroid Pocket" and sells them directly. I think Taki talked about it recently but I'm not sure how many details he'll be able to give (NDAs and such). Doh, my memory is leaky  :P

I wouldn't trust even the "upgraded versions" of the A19 and such: it seems they're just switching the d-pad. And their price isn't that cheap when compared with the original one. Not to mention supporting the developer instead of giving money to Mr. McKnockoff. Just my 2 cents.

I will be getting one. Lockdown has messed my shipments big time, but the Retroid crew have announced they'll be using DHL for shipping from now on; I ordered right after the sale and just before extra shipping fees were supposed to be applied, so I'm not sure I'll qualify for DHL shipment. It's been a couple of days now, no tracking number nor updates; it can take 3 to 7 days for them to ship it, I'm not worried yet.

I've ordered the Android (cheapest) version, can't really afford much more; hopefully I'll be able to switch the SD card for a bigger one on my own. I haven't seen download links, so some fiddling might be involved (dumping and such). We may end up with a dedicated section for this device!

I want to check its screen for pixel alignment, and having a pretty much stock Android... testing my games on it should be a breeze. I've also thought of adding a couple of shoulder buttons with a 3D printed case, re-wiring face buttons... Yeah, this device got me pretty excited and ahead of myself!  ;D

Good to know I'm not the only one after it 'round 'ere!

Zereth

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:59:52 pm »
Status update. It took them 4 working days to ship it, it's currently "at the shippers warehouse" according to PostNL, pretty decent. So no DHL but the tracking number/system is working. That's some bad news, some good news.

Every package I've received from PostNL came with the regular mail and lockdown has hit that one pretty hard over here, while DHL is "working as usual" (if you don't take into account masks, gloves, no signatures and having to wait for the delivery guy to leave before going out to pick it up). A breeze, specially if you count all my packages being held by local post since feb 16th. So I'm guessing I might receive it for my birthday, apr 29th. Not like it's Retroid's fault, maybe DHL is for US customers only, I dunno. I've double-checked and found no DHL option for my location, free nor paid. If you're in Europe, I wouldn't count on it.

But I'm really-really looking forward to getting my hands on this device. Anyone got it already?

DJM

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 01:24:08 pm »
Anyone got it already?

Not yet, I ordered 2 days ago and my order has been shipped today with DHL (I live in Italy).

Zereth

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:01:58 pm »
I'm happy for you. Really. Just checked, PostNL for Spain. And mine still reads "The Item is at the shippers warehouse".

Not the best times for being impatient  ::)
Best wishes mate!

DingooSteve (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:42:27 pm »
Mine said it was in the UK yesterday after spending 5 days being in Hong Kong. I think they are using Canada Post for mine??

I'm interested to see if I can use a decent emulator front end on this like Launchbox. I reckon it will accept a 256 GB card. Also keen to try out the HDMI connectivity to TV using my 8BitDo controller on Bluetooth.

If this came in the RG350 form factor, it would probably be the best selling retro handheld. Many people are put off by the lack of trigger buttons.

Zereth

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:18:22 pm »
Thanks for the info, Steve!

Mine is still "at the warehouse", so taking your five days into account it might start moving this friday.

I have no idea about frontends; I could give you a hand with coding, making graphics and such, if need be. I'm waaay more interested in having my games running on it as intended; I'm a bit tired of banging my head against a wall with other devices, I need some... success, I guess.

Many people are put off by the lack of trigger buttons.

I'd be one of those. But I also love tinkering, doubling-up a couple of face buttons doesn't look like a difficult mod to make.

DingooSteve (OP)

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 10:37:14 pm »
Zereth, Taki Udon has posted another video today on the Retroid Pocket. He talks of 3D printing a new shell and a solution that somebody already did to put trigger buttons on the back.

https://youtu.be/mgi_pAbnSiI

With regards to getting everything up and running, have a look at Launchbox which is fairly easy to configure with emulators and it scrapes all of the box art etc. Mine looks like it should be with me by the end of the week. I'll check the emulators I normally use on Android work with 6.0 and put some stuff on here maybe over the weekend that may be helpful.

Zereth

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 02:31:02 pm »
(...) so taking your five days into account it might start moving this friday.

Said and done: today friday it's changed to "ready for shipment"!  ;D

Zereth, Taki Udon has posted another video today on the Retroid Pocket. He talks of 3D printing a new shell and a solution that somebody already did to put trigger buttons on the back.

Dat Taki ( >_<) I thought (both at once) it might have been an April's Fools joke and "great minds think alike". The buttons I had in mind were more like the RG300/RetroMini/RetroMax, 3D printed back plate and all. And now I've just realized I've ran out of buttons, got to order more...

Thanks for the info. About Launchbox, is it the 5.49eur app by Unbroken Software?

Post a new topic