Author Topic: Razer Junglecat Impressions  (Read 787 times)

DroidX2 (OP)

Razer Junglecat Impressions
« on: December 19, 2019, 05:00:49 am »
So, after being a proud owner of the Moto Gamepad for my gaming needs, I've decided to move along to the Razer side of things. I currently have the Razer Phone 2 and Junglecat. This post is to give a general impression of the controller based on my usage. Like anything else, your experience my vary, but hopefully I can shed some light on the grey areas. Of course, I am open to questions, as well as testing certain games to help anyone who is considering purchase. So, onward.

Good: The controller has all the buttons of a standard console controller, Analogs with L3/R3, L1, L2, R1, R2. L2 and R2 are lipped for better grip. There are face buttons X, Y, A, B, Start, and Select. and D-Pad. Buttons are very responsive. One of my gripes with the Moto Gamepad was the D-Pad and how much pressure was required for a press to register. This made games that required D-Pad movement, especially fighters, difficult to play. While the D-Pad on the Junglecat, in my opinion, is not as good as the console D-pads, it works great for fighter movement and pulling off those quarter circle moves.

Bad: The controller is a bit small, so if you have big hands, it will take some time getting used to. If the Nintendo Switch, which it is highly respective of, is too small for you, you may have issue with the size. Honestly, due to the form factor of a smartphone, this really can't be helped. The controllers aren't a single unit like the Moto Gamepad. It is like the Nintendo Switch, and requires that both controller sides are charged separately. The box does not come with a cable to charge both controllers at the same time, which at the asking price, one may expect it. However, I was able to find a USB-C Y cable on ebay for about 3 bucks free shipping. I can give the link you want it.

Other Note-Worthy Points:

Weight: There is a middle piece that you can use to use the controller separately as a normal bluetooth controller. Fully assembled, it really light weight and pocket-able for the most part. Maybe some cargo pants.

Compatibility: What sets this apart from the Moto Gamepad was that it connects through Bluetooth. Meaning that the controller will work for any Android phone updated to Android 7.1 or higher. This was tested on my Moto Z2Force with the projector Mod attached. Nothing like 90-inch gaming, lol! Comes with 3 cases, one for Razer Phone 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 9, and Samsung Galaxy S10+ only. There may be more cases coming. Bluetooth connection was seamless.

Special Find: I was amazed to find that when the Razer 2 Phone is in the junglecat case, I was still able to wireless charge. I purchased a cheap $5 free shipping wireless charger from Amazon, and, while the phone has to sit oddly on the charger, it works. It's not the case fault, since even with the case removed, I still have to position the phone on its side for it to charge on the stand. This was a very convenient find since now I can charge without removing the case.

So, hope I was able to help a bit in those interested in this. A personal joy for me is that the Razer Phone can be rooted, so I can finally have a rooted device again. I can mod my phone again with boot images and Tincore for button Mapping. Coming for you Shadow Fight 2!

If you have questions, ask away. I like to support developments like these so that more can be made and the portable scene isn't forgotten. Oh, and by the way, yeah, it works with Xcloud, so it's like a portable Xbox One.  ;D

Nintendo

Re: Razer Junglecat Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 03:30:06 am »
The Glap controller (Samsung endorsed) and Razer Junglecat Android Bluetooth controller are 2 of my favourite controllers ever :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:32:21 am by Nintendo »

DroidX2 (OP)

Re: Razer Junglecat Impressions
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 05:40:43 am »
Whoa! The Glap reminds me of the Game Gear, lol! Large, but I'm sure it's comfortable for long portable gaming sessions. I checked a review when you saw you mentioned it and it seems good. I like the Junglecat because of it's portability. Easy on the pockets. The Saitake looks good too, has that Console feels to it.

Xperia Play still remains the best in my book though, except for those Analog pads, smh.