• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Powkiddy X18 [GPD XD Clone]  (Read 19803 times)

Skelton-retired

Re: Powkiddy X18 [GPD XD Clone]
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 07:12:52 pm »
Hahaha this thing is like a JXD from 2012!!!

JXd s7300b with a screen refresh of 50 hz. I remember that. WAs a headache to fix that device.

Which one had button clashing issues, the S601? Seem to remember one of them I owned had that problem.

JXD s5800 I think, they had to release a hardware revision to fix it.
Retired

Dhelix

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »

gameblabla

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 02:38:25 am »
Just saying but apparently some powkiddy owners got a new update that fixed the 51hz issue.
Asked someone to try retroarch as well as the 240p test suite and he told me he did not notice any dropped frames
or anything unusual. (Retroarch also reports the refresh rate as 60Hz)

Just thought i would add this here.

adventureFAN

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 07:55:16 am »
Now the device become intresting =D
My Handhelds: PS Vita, PSP (1000), New 3DS, NDS lite, GBA SP, GB Micro,
LCL Pi-Boy 3A+, GPD XD (Old), PowKiddy X18, RG350, PlayGo, GKD350H.

Favorite: Odroid Go Advance

Dhelix

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 03:22:19 am »
Video confirmation of the 60hz update. Looks good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHW84DZojFI

sausage

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 05:33:44 pm »
I've been looking at these for a few weeks but finally give in and bought one when the price fell on Aliexpress to under ?70 - seems a complete bargain for that price. The price has gone up slightly now to ?79 (seller is Computer &Accessories discount Store) but that still seems pretty decent. As always it's a couple of quid cheaper via the app than on the standard website.

jonothan

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 09:40:05 pm »
The right hinge on my original GPD XD has cracked all the way through, even though I treated it like it was made of glass...and both hinges are now floppy, so I ended up looking around to find something to replace it.  The XD Plus is still stupidly expensive for what it is, and I ended up getting an X18 for around $75 shipped off eBay.  I actually like the build of the case quite a bit more than the XD...it's not as sleek, but I never liked the feel of the hinges on the XD from the first time I opened it, and the X18 has bluetooth and faster wifi built in, so there are trade-offs depending on what you value in a machine.

I wish there was a custom ROM available for the device.  I'd also like to be able to send the manufacturer an e-mail to push them to fix the issue with the controls overlapping if you do too much button-mashing, but Google isn't helping me find a contact.  Anybody have any clue on that?  There's a guy on YouTube who has apparently gotten them to release a fix for the refresh rate issue, so maybe they're at least semi-responsive.

For the price, it seems to really fill a void between the cost of the lower-end devices and the upper-end like the XD+.  I could see a lot of people really enjoying this thing, especially if it got a little more support.

Neo Mp3

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 02:22:45 pm »
Also got one for me. It needs root, because I can't install programs on sd, for example. Everything else is perfect for me, especially the build quality.

iball

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 05:13:58 pm »
The right hinge on my original GPD XD has cracked all the way through, even though I treated it like it was made of glass...and both hinges are now floppy, so I ended up looking around to find something to replace it.  The XD Plus is still stupidly expensive for what it is, and I ended up getting an X18 for around $75 shipped off eBay.  I actually like the build of the case quite a bit more than the XD...it's not as sleek, but I never liked the feel of the hinges on the XD from the first time I opened it, and the X18 has bluetooth and faster wifi built in, so there are trade-offs depending on what you value in a machine.

I wish there was a custom ROM available for the device.  I'd also like to be able to send the manufacturer an e-mail to push them to fix the issue with the controls overlapping if you do too much button-mashing, but Google isn't helping me find a contact.  Anybody have any clue on that?  There's a guy on YouTube who has apparently gotten them to release a fix for the refresh rate issue, so maybe they're at least semi-responsive.

For the price, it seems to really fill a void between the cost of the lower-end devices and the upper-end like the XD+.  I could see a lot of people really enjoying this thing, especially if it got a little more support.

I had the same hinge issue with my XD+so now it sits unused due to the floppy screen.
I'm avoiding the X18 until a "clean ROM" similar to the XD+ is released for it because I don't want to use PK's software.
Good to hear the X18 doesn't have the same hinge-breaking issue the XD+ has.

TROGO

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 03:51:14 pm »
Good news!

Nintendo

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 07:25:13 pm »
Omg!! Thanks heaps for the awesome news, I think I'll have to purchase a powkiddy x18 next year sometime :)

rutjoni

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 07:53:54 am »
Good news!

Could you put the link? thanks

TROGO

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 09:39:52 pm »

Nintendo

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 08:17:06 am »
Thank you again :)

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 01:13:05 pm »
I was watching this video and somehow this device it's running Dolphin. Isn't it supposed to perform worst than the original XD? Is this because of the 64 bit cpu or the newer android version?

Skelton-retired

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 04:18:02 pm »
I was watching this video and somehow this device it's running Dolphin. Isn't it supposed to perform worst than the original XD? Is this because of the 64 bit cpu or the newer android version?

It performs worse, but since it has 64 bit can run Dolphin.... but at slowmotion. Even the XD+ struggles with gamecube being more powerful. The only advantage I find is that it comes with android 7, but that's it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:20:19 pm by skelton »
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 10:24:09 pm »
It performs worse, but since it has 64 bit can run Dolphin.... but at slowmotion. Even the XD+ struggles with gamecube being more powerful. The only advantage I find is that it comes with android 7, but that's it.

I do remember i've seen a few years ago a video from the original XD running Dolphin, and it was basically a slide show. I'm not saying that the X18 is running in an acceptable way, but it's still surprising to me. With a good custom firmware this device could be a good alternative for those who can't afford a XD Plus, and it's much better than the RG-350, in my opinion.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 08:25:12 am »

I do remember i've seen a few years ago a video from the original XD running Dolphin, and it was basically a slide show. I'm not saying that the X18 is running in an acceptable way, but it's still surprising to me. With a good custom firmware this device could be a good alternative for those who can't afford a XD Plus, and it's much better than the RG-350, in my opinion.

Better than a rg-350 for sure. About CFW,some guys at discord are trying to make a clean rom, but there is no source code, so kernel and that stuff will be stock unless these powkiidy guys release code.
Retired

rutjoni

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 08:02:40 pm »

Better than a rg-350 for sure. About CFW,some guys at discord are trying to make a clean rom, but there is no source code, so kernel and that stuff will be stock unless these powkiidy guys release code.
Pues aqui han sacado una rom limpia ,que espero que funcione mejor ,pero como no se ingles no se como hacerlo ,si alguien pudiera hacer un tutorial en espa?ol lo agradeceria mucho ,gracias

Well, here they have produced a clean rom, which I hope will work better, but since I don't know English I don't know how to do it, if someone could do a tutorial in Spanish I would really appreciate it, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBTFuOc0t8
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:14:19 pm by rutjoni »

Skelton-retired

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2019, 11:54:57 am »
It's a stock ROM with Google Play, you can clean It from bloarware with root, but that's It. That firmware has been made by powkiddy, it's not a custom firmware
Retired

Post a new topic