• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: MUCH W1 (78P01) not booting past the snail logo  (Read 5568 times)

samuell.sk (OP)

MUCH W1 (78P01) not booting past the snail logo
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:08:40 am »
Hellou

I used the spflashtool , downloaded (i hope so full img) 78Dian_5.6.26.rar , i used "format all + download" and now my much is not pasing the loading screen. (snail logo)

Later i tried update-much-snail-5.6.24 , both results are same.

Is there a way how to fix it ? maybe flash some cyanogen and than update on that snail ? or is there somesort of full img ? It seems that something is missing (download are like 450 - 600mb big so there should be all)

Dunno, anything helps

Update:
Found this

////////////////
Ok. Good news.
Device is locked by serial number. and
The easy way.
Tested on my device (v5.6.24)
Copy update.zip to external sdcard.
https://yadi.sk/d/RcAEHCPJdALzc
To enable USB Debugging
chinese 360 mobile assistant
https://yadi.sk/d/OqX6J-1NdAM3U
https://yadi.sk/i/XtSMP3fudALp2
Recovery mode is hidden.
Download MtkDroidTools, connect device - go to reboot - boot into recovery mode.
After reboot press once on power button.
You can navigate the menu using volume buttons, + to select an option, - navigate.
And apply update.zip
////////////////

so i have device stuck at logo , so i used another rom to allow volume up recovery , ... after update.zip completed (or failed if you prefer) , i flashed back 5.6.24 and working flawlessly :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:49:39 am by samuell.sk »

siegel17701

Re: MUCH W1 (78P01) not booting past the snail logo
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:33:16 am »
Hellou

I used the spflashtool , downloaded (i hope so full img) 78Dian_5.6.26.rar , i used "format all + download" and now my much is not pasing the loading screen. (snail logo)

Is there a way how to fix it ? maybe flash some cyanogen and than update on that snail ? or is there somesort of full img ? It seems that something is missing (download are like 450 - 600mb big so there should be all)

Dunno, anything helps

Update:
Found this

////////////////
Ok. Good news.
The easy way.
To enable USB Debugging
Recovery mode is hidden.
Download MtkDroidTools, connect device - go to reboot - boot into recovery mode.
You can navigate the menu using volume buttons, + to select an option, - navigate.
And apply update.zip
////////////////

so i have device stuck at logo , so i used another rom to allow volume up recovery , ... after update.zip completed (or failed if you prefer) , i flashed back 5.6.24 and working flawlessly :)
Found this phone on a site called gearbest.com for $190. Is it worth it? Does it have Google Play Store?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

DroidX2

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »
It depends really on what you need from a phone and gaming device hybrid. Be aware of its shortcomings and advantages and how they suit to your phone usage.

For me, its was worth it, and I still use it as my daily driver with no plans to change unless a successor becomes available. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

robman2122

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:20:40 am »
Hellou

Dunno, anything helps

Update:
Found this

////////////////
Ok. Good news.
The easy way.
To enable USB Debugging
Recovery mode is hidden.
And apply update.zip
////////////////

Could you elaborate a little more on what you did here? I recently purchased this phone and have had it less than a day and ended up with this issue. I tried following what was there, ended up flashing the 78dian firmware to get recovery, told it to use the update.zip and then tried flashing the 5.6.24 snail firmware but to no avail. still sticks on the logo at every step of the way.

robman2122

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:17:06 am »
Nevermind. I figured out an additional step to add to that which helped me get things sort of back to working order.  In case anyone else comes across this problem, here is what I did..

1. Do a format and flash to the 78dian firmware (From Deen0x's review).

2. After that flash has been done, immediately boot to the recovery by holding Volume + during boot up. Once recovery comes up, clear user data/factory reset

3. From here you have 2 options. You can either flash back to the snail firmware or if you are set on sticking with 78dian, simply reboot and let it come up. Keep in mind everything will be in Chinese and will need to be switched to English in the settings.

Now, the other issue I have is a missing IMEI.. Backed it up and everything before I tinkered but I can't restore it at all with mtktools. Gives me an error message that no device is found or something to that effect (talking about the cell radio, not the phone) and going into engineer mode shows that the radio is turned off and it does not react to any AT commands to assign an IMEI number. I've searched thru the forums here and some others also have this issue, but it seems everyone either ends up giving up or never receives any answers. If anyone has any ideas or advice on this issue, I would be eternally grateful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DroidX2

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 03:45:57 am »
Nevermind. I figured out an additional step to add to that which helped me get things sort of back to working order.  In case anyone else comes across this problem, here is what I did..

1. Do a format and flash to the 78dian firmware (From Deen0x's review).

2. After that flash has been done, immediately boot to the recovery by holding Volume + during boot up. Once recovery comes up, clear user data/factory reset

3. From here you have 2 options. You can either flash back to the snail firmware or if you are set on sticking with 78dian, simply reboot and let it come up. Keep in mind everything will be in Chinese and will need to be switched to English in the settings.

Now, the other issue I have is a missing IMEI.. Backed it up and everything before I tinkered but I can't restore it at all with mtktools. Gives me an error message that no device is found or something to that effect (talking about the cell radio, not the phone) and going into engineer mode shows that the radio is turned off and it does not react to any AT commands to assign an IMEI number. I've searched thru the forums here and some others also have this issue, but it seems everyone either ends up giving up or never receives any answers. If anyone has any ideas or advice on this issue, I would be eternally grateful!

I actually planned on flashing the 78p01 rom to my phone. I bought it from Gearbest as well recently, but I was able to get Google Play working, so I kept the updated rom, which is currently 5.6.36 snail.

Were you running the 5.6.36 firmware before you flashed to 78dian?
Also, try reinstaling the drivers for your phone. Someone else posted the same issue here earlier. They never replied to say if it worked or not, but I posted something they could try to get MTK Tools to recognize their phone and add the IMEI.

I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth a shot, and couldn't harm anything.

1) On your Windows desktop, Go to your Control Panel then Device Manager.
2) You should see Android Phone under Other Devices with a Yellow ! mark on it.
3) Right click on it and choose "Update Driver Software"
4) Choose "Browse my computer", then "Let me pick from a list."
5) If you see categories, select "Android Device", then select "Android ADB Interface".
6) The driver will install and you can now run the update with ADB.

Hopefully it helps.

robman2122

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 04:04:07 am »
I actually got everything working again. Read all the way through the thread about the phone being released and someone had linked to some Full recovery roms. All I had to do was insert my nvram.bin backup and flash and tell it to use the emmc option in the recovery boot and all was good then. 8 was thinking about making a new thread with tutorial and crediting the original posts in it, but I wasn't sure if it would really be useful to anyone at this point since the info is there, it's just buried a little.

Edit: and yes I was on the latest firmware when I flashed the 78dian firmware. All worked well until I flashed back to the snail firmware and did a "format all" in the process.

DroidX2

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:55:12 pm »
Nice! Thanks for posting a fix. There was another user on here with the same issue. I'll have to post a link to this thread.

I think a new thread highlighting the Snail W1 tips and tricks would be helpful, especially to those new to the device, which would give them an easy to find reference. Of course, since this site is kind of a dedicated Dingoo site, I kinda feel someway about highlighting another device. However, being here, it feels more like an English version of Open Consoles.

By the way, how is Data working on your device? I may need a new SIM card since before, I was getting HSPA and HSPA+ (1900 and 2100 bands) but now I only get 1900. I've tried several APN variations, changed to EURO Band, among other things, but no go for HSPA+. My last Snail W1 supported it, but for that one, I went to AT&T to activate it, so maybe I need to do the same with this one. I just used the same SIM card from my last one.

DroidX2

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:55 pm »
Hi all. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but since all the information is here, I figured I would post here.
I DON'T CLAIM THIS FIX, ONLY SIMPLIFYING IT FOR THOSE WHO MAY HIT A SNAG AS I DID. Shouts out to KA52, SAMUELL.SK, ROBMAN2122. I apologize if I missed anyone else who contributed to this fix.

However, I ran into the same issue mentioned above, losing IMEI when flashing.

I am currently having an issue with my device (SNAIL W1/78P01) not connecting to 3G, and only 1 of the 2 AT&T supported 2G bands, which is 850. The device supports AT&T 850 and 1900 on 2G (Edge), and 1900 and 2100 on AT&T 3G.

Currently, I am only able to connect to 850 on 2G only. SIM works fine in other devices, and other SIM's exhibit the same issues when installed in my device.

After trying everything, I went for a FORMAT ALL REFLASH, which ended up with the above issue, losing IMEI and SERIAL NUMBER. Following the steps to get them back was more complicated than I thought, but I was successful. This post is to break down what was done. Note: It unfortunately DID NOT fix the issue with my mobile data. I can still only connect to 2G. If anyone has ideas, I'm opened to it, assuming I haven't tried it yet.

HOW TO RECOVER IMEI AND SERIAL NUMBER AFTER USING SP FLASH TOOL (FORMAT ALL+DOWNLOAD)

-- DOWNLOAD - 78Dian 5.6.27 for SP_Flash_Tool
https://yadi.sk/d/d6tZwb8Zg3uuA or
Snail A1 5.6.27 for SP_Flash_Tool
https://yadi.sk/d/XtTyHoKyg3udW

-- COPY your NVRAM.bin to the folder with the update.
(NOTES) - If you MADE A COPY of your NVRAM in MTK DROID TOOLS. Navigate to the folder it is located in. There will be a BIN file and a TAR file. You will only need to copy the Bin File. Go to the update file you downloaded, and unzip the file. Copy your NVRAM.bin file into the folder.   

-- OPEN FLASH TOOL and click SCATTER LOADING. Navigate to the update file you downloaded and added your NVRAM to. There should be only the scatter.txt file available. If not, then only choose the MT6592_Android_scatter.txt file.

-- You should see the Flashtool window populate with Green and White bars filled with information. Above them should be a Blue Title bar, unless you changed the theme. However, look for NAME, then look below it for NVRAM. Verify that there is a path to the file under LOCATION in the title bar. If not, click on the blank LOCATION BAR for NVRAM and navigate to the UPDATE folder you placed a copy of your NVRAM in and select it. The Path should then be populated for NVRAM in FLASHTOOL.

-- Make sure device is turned off completely and disconnected from the PC. Once confirmed, click DOWNLOAD.

-- Connect device to the PC via USB Cable and flashing will begin.

-- Once flashing has finished, you will see a GREEN CHECK showing completion.

-- Disconnect device from PC and power it up, while pressing the VOLUME DOWN repeatedly. You will enter the CHINESE recovery.

-- Navigate with the VOLUME keys, going down until you reach the option with EMMC in the Title. Select it with the POWER BUTTON.

-- The device will freeze for a moment, and then restart.

Hopefully I have helped someone.

If anyone sees something I missed or got wrong, please feel free to chime in.

Post a new topic