Author Topic: GAMEPAD IS OUT! GET YOURS NOW!!  (Read 15639 times)

Zibri

• Zibri's Blog
Re: GAMEPAD IS OUT! GET YOURS NOW!!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »
I am taking it easy, but I haven't received an email like you.

I received a totally different email after placing my order.

Zibri

• Zibri's Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:09:35 pm »
Update: I send them another email. I gave them 2 choices: send me a unit NOW or refund me.

I don't like being fooled around.

Lino

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:26 am »
Wow, the device looks really ugly in the pictures from the review (promoshots were ok). The design isn't sleek at all and the L2/R2 placement is totally ridiculous. Should've been a six button design (great for fighting games) instead if there wasn't any space left for two more shoulder buttons. It's stupid because you can't use L2 without moving your left thumb from the movement controls.

Guess I'll wait for the S5600 but still, I hope there will be more reviews soon.

I was thinking the same thing about the l2/r2 placement... such a dumb idea to put them there, the shoulder buttons are meant to be on the shoulders, so you can use your fingers and not your thumbs, as thumbs are for dpad and whatnot... Way to go, archos :) you know what bugs me a lot for some reason? The headphone jack, why is it not flush and sticks out? Horrible design I think, but maybe it's just me...

Jxd has a chance to really outshine archos here, let's hope they don't disappoint!

Moving your left thumb from the controls will be stupid? It sure is odd, but stupid? Stupid would be making the device thicker to fit them in the right place. Remains to be seen... There are some new videos flowing around the forum of devs moving their fingers off nubs. You saw that, didn't you  ;D

The R2+L2 is better than no R2+L2 in my book. There are a lot of devices (even new and "new" gaming devices) that have no L2+R2. That can also be said for the dual, "real analogue", nub... Just sayin'..

And as for the headphone jack sticking out..maybe it's a by-product of build quality... Seeing it does not mess with functionality I'd say it is a welcome addition.

I'm also relay curious to see how it stands against the JXD 7300. In terms of looks..the archos wins..only a blind (or blinded) man/woman wouldn't see that.
One particle of unobtanium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor, carry the two, changing its atomic isotope into a radioactive spider.

Dexidus

GAMEPAD IS OUT! GET YOURS NOW!!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
Hmmm, i dunno, maybe it's just me, but shoulder buttons should be on the shoulder. Also i guess people have different opinions on look, cuz the s7300 is actually a stunning device, whereas the gamepad looks like it wants to be a ufo or something haha. Just my opinion, i'm allowed to have it as are you, so meh. I can't see myself buying the gamepad though, especially with it's 2 hour gameplay battery life. If it were maybe $80 cheaper (I'm Canadian so it'll be $200 when it comes out here), sure, but paying $100 per hour of usability doesn't seem right to me :) that's just me though.

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:44 am »
If you want android gaming two analog nubs, l1, r1, r1, r2 ,and a dpad go get a gameklip its 15 bucks and lets you use a real ps3 controller and fits on most phones. There isn't one for tablets yet though so if you want a 7 inch screen you need to go elsewhere. I was given a gameklip and have not bought a chinese PMP since. I'm not trying to hijack the thread I am only mentioning this since some people seem to be disappointed about this device. I did a review of it on my channel if you want to see what it looks like.

Zibri

• Zibri's Blog
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »
Archos still haven't refund me.

This is totally unprofessional.

Dexidus

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 12:18:20 pm »
Thanks Q, actually I am new to android gaming, just waiting on my first device now (jxd s5300). The Gameklip is a good idea for sure, but then I'd also have to buy a ps3 controller and an android phone, so that'd be pretty pricey. If it worked with the nexus7, then maaaaybe, however truthfully i am not a huge fan of the add-on devices like those, they add a lot of bulk and whatnot whereas I'd rather have a single device. I've bever been much of a console person (I got an original xbox recently because I saw a post by you on xbox emulation station and it's great!), always been much more of a handheld kinda guy :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:26:24 pm by Dexidus »

Deen0X

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »

Dexidus

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:22 pm »
I saw that, it's interesting for sure! I like that it collapses and stuff. I have the icade mobile, but neeeeever use it becase i'm always on my caanoo. I got the s5300 so that i can limit the amount of device switching (i have my iphone and ipad and caanoo all beside me on the couch, it'd be nice to have 1 device that can do most of what all of them do haha).

Zibri

• Zibri's Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:01 pm »
They finally refunded it.

retrogamer

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 04:06:34 pm »
If you want android gaming two analog nubs, l1, r1, r1, r2 ,and a dpad go get a gameklip its 15 bucks and lets you use a real ps3 controller and fits on most phones. There isn't one for tablets yet though so if you want a 7 inch screen you need to go elsewhere. I was given a gameklip and have not bought a chinese PMP since. I'm not trying to hijack the thread I am only mentioning this since some people seem to be disappointed about this device. I did a review of it on my channel if you want to see what it looks like.

Yeah I have given up on the gamepad, when comparing the screen to other devices, it is not that impressive. I also need a decent d-pad. I have decided to go the gameklip route and get a ps3 controller. I think I am going to get a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which is quad core and 2 gigs of ram and a 5.5 inch screen. It also has a pretty good battery. That combined with a ps3 controller and a gameklip is probably the best overall option for an android handheld at the moment. The note 2 is a bit of overkill and not cheap, but I like the larger screen.

I may just wait until after Christmas and see if I can somehow get my hands on a note 2 for a reasonable cost without using it as my phone and getting a contract. I figure even if I had to pay 350-400 for it, it would still be less then what I end up spending on other inferior and disappointing android handhelds. But I will probably need a phone soon anyway, so may just get it as my main phone.  Just getting tired of waiting for something to replace the Xperia Play's quality and performance.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:43:19 pm by retrogamer »

Deen0X

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 10:20:28 pm »
anybody rooted this device?

and, where are the drivers to install Archos drivers, and access to MTP interface? (microsd)

nampad

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:03 am »

Moving your left thumb from the controls will be stupid? It sure is odd, but stupid? Stupid would be making the device thicker to fit them in the right place. Remains to be seen... There are some new videos flowing around the forum of devs moving their fingers off nubs. You saw that, didn't you  ;D

The R2+L2 is better than no R2+L2 in my book. There are a lot of devices (even new and "new" gaming devices) that have no L2+R2. That can also be said for the dual, "real analogue", nub... Just sayin'..

And as for the headphone jack sticking out..maybe it's a by-product of build quality... Seeing it does not mess with functionality I'd say it is a welcome addition.

I'm also relay curious to see how it stands against the JXD 7300. In terms of looks..the archos wins..only a blind (or blinded) man/woman wouldn't see that.

Yes, having L2/R2 is better than nothing, but still the button placement IS stupid. It's all style over usability and I would say it is a design failure. I don't know how well a side by side placement would work out as I have never tried one before, but they could have just made a six button layout instead. Both are better alternatives and don't make the device any thicker. Same goes for the dpad with buttons instead of a connected one (and NO, the Playstation design isn't the same, they are connected underneath).
I can't help you if you can't see the problem with moving your left thumb from the movement controls.

From pictures, I actually prefer the look of the new JXD devices (Nintendo 3DS/DS look) over the Archos. I think the Archos looks really ugly, like a tablet with glued on controls. The small details like the bezel, the rough area around the analog sticks etc. look cheap.

Dexidus

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:10 am »

Yes, having L2/R2 is better than nothing, but still the button placement IS stupid. It's all style over usability and I would say it is a design failure. I don't know how well a side by side placement would work out as I have never tried one before, but they could have just made a six button layout instead. Both are better alternatives and don't make the device any thicker. Same goes for the dpad with buttons instead of a connected one (and NO, the Playstation design isn't the same, they are connected underneath).
I can't help you if you can't see the problem with moving your left thumb from the movement controls.

From pictures, I actually prefer the look of the new JXD devices (Nintendo 3DS/DS look) over the Archos. I think the Archos looks really ugly, like a tablet with glued on controls. The small details like the bezel, the rough area around the analog sticks etc. look cheap.

Yuuup
+1

Deen0X

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:30 am »
Hi guys!

i'm preparing a review of this device, and i found a problem that i think is interesting to post here.

i grab two videos about overlapping button (yes... there is overlappings... and many)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjas85fKD9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2x8SL3x5Q4

as i said on another forums, my feel is that these problem may be solved with some update from archos.

for now, i only tested with FPSe. now, i?m preparing other testings to add to my review. if i found any intetersting to show you before, i'll post here.

greetings!

skelton

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 07:45:36 am »
wow, this is the info I needed. It has combo issues like the Yinlips machines. Defintely won't buy this.
Retired

fosamax

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 09:20:50 am »
@Deen0x

Could you please make a test with the following rom for SNES :

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=917&action=showrom&id=1399348

This a controller test for super famicom and it's pretty visual so it's making button overlapping quite obvious when there are (I used that one to test the Yinlips G16 and it's a real nightmare)

I will not buy the gamepad since button overlapping will probably not be adressed by a firmware fix (never saw any fix for that on other android devices).

I don't understand why the manufacturers don't use standard usb gamepad built in (as long as they use at least ICS).

It looks like we still have a standard keyboard hack with all the annoyances it can cause to the final user.

Still hoping JXD will make things right for the s7300 and "keep fingers cross" for the s5600.

To sum up :
- good screen : not necessary IPS or amoled but at least bright and colorfull.
- good capacitive technology (5 point) : reactive
- perfect controls : true dpad (1 piece), separate analog and buttons and NO overlapping at all.
- good battery life
- at least decent wifi
- built in bluetooth could be a plus.

It seems mandatory to get at least a device that matches or beats the xperia play (a device that is more than 3 years old now).

Deen0X

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
i can't download from your link. i'll looking for it on the web.

is there any other guy with this device that can test the same to confirm is not only my device the problem?

fosamax

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 10:23:14 am »

Deen0X

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:04 am »