Author Topic: DROID X360, JXD S5110 or YDPG18A?  (Read 13683 times)

tiagao_extremo (OP)

DROID X360, JXD S5110 or YDPG18A?
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:47 am »
Hi everyone at dingoonity. I've been following the discussion about these android devices lately, and i'm really interested into getting one of these, but only one. The question is, which one should i get that i wouldn't regret later? My first choice was the JXD S5110, but then i saw these problems about the frequency at 600Mhz, fortunately Skelton started this great work with these customed roms, even though you can't set the digital and analog for different buttons, something necessary for N64 emulation. Then i saw some people here talking that YDPG18A would be a better choice. After that i saw the DROID X360, and it seems that this one would be the better choice, considering that you can map analog and digital for different keys. So, i really would like to know is how well these 3 devices performs? All of them have good and bad aspects, the prices are somewhat similar at willgoo.com and i would like to hear your opinions about them.

PS: English isn't my native language. Sorry about anything.

hailrazer

Re: DROID X360, JXD S5110 or YDPG18A?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:19:19 am »
I have all 3 and the X360 is the best overall IMO. I don't even pick up the other two anymore.

If you are serious about N64 emulation then the extra stick and buttons make the X360 your only real choice.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:07:32 am »
I'd hate to sound dismissive, but I don't think the analog problem has been solved on any of the android handhelds, so therefore you're in the same boat regardless of which handheld you get.

I trust qbertaddict's reviews above all else and highly recommend that you watch his review before buying the x360.

IMO, the GCW Zero or Wikipad have the best chance of being the first to have true analog right out of the box. Some sources report that most of the latest Chinese manufactured handhelds have true analog hardware but the software is not built to support it. Even though the GCW hasn't confirmed true analog, with it being open source and not reliant on Android OS, I hope they find a way to work it in or someone in the community might find a way later.

An Android option I hear good word about and would be my first choice if i was looking to buy at this moment and not have to wait is the xperia play. Some had a malfunction that made it impossibe for them to connect to a phone network so they're able to be picked up pretty cheaply and they make a great handheld device. Another choice might be a Nexus 7 with a controller input mod.

To summarze, and I'm putting on my flame proof vest before I post this- all the Chinese handhelds right now are crap. They all have design faults that could have easily been rectified with a little testing and give-a-damn business ethos. Sure they all have tons of features, they seem to follow the old Soviet design principle- quantity has its own quality. But once you pass the smoke and mirrors you're going be begging for the quality and fit & finish on western designed hardware.

Edit- corrections from typing this on my phone
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:36:56 am by Pardue »

singapura

Re: Re: DROID X360, JXD S5110 or YDPG18A?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:18 am »
I have all 3 and the X360 is the best overall IMO. I don't even pick up the other two anymore.

If you are serious about N64 emulation then the extra stick and buttons make the X360 your only real choice.
Now I'm confused. I thought the controls were really bad? How are yours?
"If you're gonna play the Gameboy. You gotta learn to play it right" - Kenny Rogers

Gameboy - Gameboy Color - Gameboy Advance -  Gameboy Pocket - NDS - PSP - JXD S601 - JXD S5110 - Atari 2600 - SNES - Megadrive - Xbox - Dreamcast - Xbox360 - PSVita

hailrazer

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:49 am »

They're fine once you change the keypad driver.  Works perfectly. Just like the Yinlips, except the buttons and d-pad are actually much better to use and feel better.

singapura

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:15:59 am »
Western designed stuff can be crap as well. On the other hand, Sony and Nintendo machines are Eastern designed and stunning. Without the "Chinese crap", as you racists call it, we wouldn't even have emulators because the big companies lock down their Vitas and 3DSes.
"If you're gonna play the Gameboy. You gotta learn to play it right" - Kenny Rogers

Gameboy - Gameboy Color - Gameboy Advance -  Gameboy Pocket - NDS - PSP - JXD S601 - JXD S5110 - Atari 2600 - SNES - Megadrive - Xbox - Dreamcast - Xbox360 - PSVita

singapura

Re: Re: Re: DROID X360, JXD S5110 or YDPG18A?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:18:05 am »

They're fine once you change the keypad driver.  Works perfectly. Just like the Yinlips, except the buttons and d-pad are actually much better to use and feel better.
Hmm, that changes things. I might wait a bit though to see what else comes out.

furan

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:26:07 am »
I think it has some kinks to iron out (still tweaking keypad driver), but in my opinion the X360 is the best by far.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 04:54:24 am »
Western designed stuff can be crap as well. On the other hand, Sony and Nintendo machines are Eastern designed and stunning. Without the "Chinese crap", as you racists call it, we wouldn't even have emulators because the big companies lock down their Vitas and 3DSes.

I take exception to you insinuating that my description of "Chinese crap" (which is not a direct quote from anything I posted) was at all racist. Racism, by its definition is when you fault someone for something they can't help but have been born with. When industry develops a bad reputation from the design of their products, they can't take shelter behind accusations of racism. Secondly, your grouping of Chinese and Sony/Nintendo is flawed because I was arguing a western vs. Chinese design viewpoint, not western vs. eastern. There is a big difference between Sony/Nintendo and Chinese developers, namely- one should be suing the other right about now.

Until the Chinese developers start making something original instead of lazily stuffing anything Android into a PSP/Vita shell and calling it their own, they'll continue to be the laughing stock of the industry.

furan

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:07 am »
I don't think this is adding to the discussion. If you two wish to discuss further, please take it offline.
Thanks.

Deen0X

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »
I don't think this is adding to the discussion. If you two wish to discuss further, please take it offline.
Thanks.

i think the same

the user of the first message is asking for an alternative to consider between the most common devices we know (G18A and S5110), and the new DroidX360 (DX360 to abreviate).

for now, the info about DX360 is a little bit confusing, because there are few users that says his devices, with the new keyboard module from furan, works perfect.

in another side, qbertaddict, furan and other well knowed users confirm that controls are so bad.

depend of these issue, we can consider the best can be XDX360 (if controls woks correctly), or you can consider G18A (if furan can solve the D-PAD <-> analog link with a new driver/module), or S5110 (better D-PAD than G18A, but not the best)

i hope get one DX360 this next week to test (and write a review), and hope i can help to answer questions from the device.
I really hope this device can be a good alternative (DX360), and hope too that manufacturer modify the factory process to solve the hardware problems (contacts tiny).

(apologize my poor english)

greetings!

singapura

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »
Thanks.
There is no discussion, I just hate people who don't mind using Chinese products as long as it fits their purpose (and wallet) but act all high and mighty because they are not "western". Why visit a forum like this and then spit on "Chinese crap?".

singapura

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 01:37:46 pm »
To be honest, the big issue with Chinese gaming products is that the time to market of these devices is so short that the manufacturer barely gets time to fully develop or test. Instead of improving existing versions, most manufacturers prefer to come out with completely new machines every time. That way the kinks will never be worked out but the cost will be lower.

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 02:23:17 pm »

They are better but are not  fine. It does not work perfectly. There are still ghosts and sporadic misses. Also the thumbs are too close to the dpad and I end up hitting the thumbstick instead of the dpad from time to time. In my opinion the best controls are on the ydpg16. The thumbstick being separate is cool but there is no difference in the movement of your character. The stick is not analog so all the device is doing is letting you map more buttons. If n64 emulation on the a10 devices was equal to the nexus 7(which it is no where near close) this would be a big deal but as of now it really doesn't make much of a difference but that is just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:39:31 pm by qbertaddict »

hailrazer

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

They are better but are not  fine. It does not work perfectly. There are still ghosts and sporadic misses. Also the thumbs are too close to the dpad and I end up hitting the thumbstick instead of the dpad from time to time. In my opinion the best controls are on the ydpg16. The thumbstick being separate is cool but there is no difference in the movement of your character. The stick is not analog so all the device is doing is letting you map more buttons. If n64 emulation on the a10 devices was equal to the nexus 7(which it is no where near close) this would be a big deal but as of now it really doesn't make much of a difference but that is just my 2 cents

That is your opinion for your device. Maybe yours has a problem which is causing it to be more problematic then mine.

tiagao_extremo (OP)

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:07 pm »
Hello again everyone, first of all i really appreciate everyone that took some time and answered so kindly my message, even though the topic has gone a little off-topic. Anyway, i must admit that i'm excited about the DROID X360. I saw the video review from our friend qbertaddict, but then i got kind of sad about the controls. Later i saw that furan has released a patch that fix the problems about the controls, and hailrazer said that with this patch they work just fine, is that right? I think that Deen0X understood what i've been asking. What i want is one of these chinese and cheap handhelds, even though xperia play and others are better. Right now i really want the DROID X360 that seems to be the best choice, if you consider the price and the relation cost/benefit, and i would like to know from you guys, how well the controls responds today, and just another question: How is the emulation for the N64 and PSX on a scale from 0 to 10. Once again, thanks everyone. The users from Dingoonity are just great.  :)

Methanoid

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 05:13:21 pm »
Can a Droid X360 owner confirm it is the same size as PSVita or not? Yinlips isnt so cases are not compatible...  Would be nice if one of these "clones" actually was the same size!!!

hailrazer

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »
Can a Droid X360 owner confirm it is the same size as PSVita or not? Yinlips isnt so cases are not compatible...  Would be nice if one of these "clones" actually was the same size!!!

It's the exact same size as the Yinlips.

furan

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »
The yinlips is a little bigger.

furan

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »
BTW QB, FWIW, I don't understand why all these other people are saying the gamepad driver improved their scenario and it didn't do much for you. It only targeted button presses, not stuff like menu opening, etc.

I'll continue to try to tweak this. I posted info on reassigning what the buttons do. You might try disabling the menu button using that info and a hex editor to see if it fixes your problem (I suspect the lines are multiplexed and pressing the two buttons is shorting both lines for the menu button)

Can you clarify autofire? This is a game thing, so it shouldn't affect anything system-wise.