• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Anyone else excited for the w3D?  (Read 44064 times)

DrROBschiz

Re: Anyone else excited for the w3D?
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2016, 05:43:34 pm »
Damn shame

There is literally NOTHING left in the Gamephone space

shinkamui

« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2016, 06:50:38 pm »
Damn shame

There is one item left...The PGS Pro edition, if it also doesn't become vaporware.  If it launches with its spec sheet and at the 260$ pricepoint, its going to be teh gamephone to beat all gamephones. 

DrROBschiz

« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »
Damn shame

There is one item left...The PGS Pro edition, if it also doesn't become vaporware.  If it launches with its spec sheet and at the 260$ pricepoint, its going to be teh gamephone to beat all gamephones.

Whoa any other info? I can find a single thing about this device online

DroidX2

« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:04 pm »
Found it. Here's the website.

http://pgslab.com/

I'm feeling kind of burned though, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Bladepad, Razor Junglecat, and W3D all have websites and promises. I'll need more to go on, but I'll keep an eye on it.

However, I really hope it's real, and it releases.

shdowhunt60

« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:45 pm »
Found it. Here's the website.

http://pgslab.com/

I'm feeling kind of burned though, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Bladepad, Razor Junglecat, and W3D all have websites and promises. I'll need more to go on, but I'll keep an eye on it.

However, I really hope it's real, and it releases.

Saw this before. Definitely sounds FAR too good to be true, especially for the price-tag. Also the position of those thumbsticks is just horrid.

DroidX2

« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2016, 03:03:13 pm »
Yeah, I read up more on the page. That seems so far fetched it's like an April Fools joke, lol! Desperate, but not gullible.

Now, if they can pull it off, shut up and take my money. But that's a little too good to be true.

Seriously, why are the companies making it seem so difficult. Just start with your basic run-of-the-mill phone. Something competitive spec wise. Nvidia Shield is a good comparison. The Much W1 is a good build size to match. It comes with a complete set of buttons. Dimpled analogs like the GPD, or 3DS. Button mapping software. They can either make their own, or lease out Tincore.

But basically, a good competitive phone, then add buttons with mapping software.

DrROBschiz

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »
Well

Its not a phone, its too big.

Analog sticks are in an awkward place too. Are they gonna sell this with a grip? How are you supposed to even use this?

Fuck man..... If SNAIL could have just made a smaller, cheaper and more reasonable gaming phone..... DAMNIT

ALSO

Legit good article.  http://www.phonedog.com/2016/05/08/its-time-bring-back-xperia-play
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:19:14 pm by DrROBschiz »

silvacrest

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2016, 09:15:00 pm »
The PSG looks like a device that was created from the hopes and dreams of game phone fans, far to good to be true, and the price even for the lite version looks like a bad troll joke, $230??

but lets put things into perspective, the much W3D was a FAR less ambitious device yet it turned out to be literally nothing even though they had a working prototype to show off, because of this like the rest of you i will keep my hype levels low, but if this thing is real? wow, just take my money 

DroidX2

« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2016, 10:35:29 pm »
Well

Its not a phone, its too big.

Analog sticks are in an awkward place too. Are they gonna sell this with a grip? How are you supposed to even use this?

Fuck man..... If SNAIL could have just made a smaller, cheaper and more reasonable gaming phone..... DAMNIT

ALSO

Legit good article.  http://www.phonedog.com/2016/05/08/its-time-bring-back-xperia-play

Yeah, a new Xperia Play is LONG overdue. It basically set the standard of what a gaming pone should be. It had a huge backing with 3rd party software. Sony should really re-visit it. Their regular phones are sub par at best anyway. The only Xperia phone worth something IMO was the Xperia Play. Everything else was a rehash of what was already out there.

silvacrest

« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2016, 04:05:54 am »
I agree to an extent, sony phones have been so bad for a while now im surprised they have not sold that division yet, literally all their phones are over priced with no innovation, why pay the sony tax for an average phone?

the xperia play was the only truly unique phone but it came to early, now would be great for a squeal, plenty of games to take advantage of physical controls, also, might as well add vita games since the vita is nearly dead anyway, and finally easy use of PS4 remote play.

sony have everything they need to make a xperia play 2 compelling yet we keep getting mediocre phones that no one buys, so annoying  :'(

DroidX2

« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »
I agree to an extent, sony phones have been so bad for a while now im surprised they have not sold that division yet, literally all their phones are over priced with no innovation, why pay the sony tax for an average phone?

the xperia play was the only truly unique phone but it came to early, now would be great for a squeal, plenty of games to take advantage of physical controls, also, might as well add vita games since the vita is nearly dead anyway, and finally easy use of PS4 remote play.

sony have everything they need to make a xperia play 2 compelling yet we keep getting mediocre phones that no one buys, so annoying  :'(

Exactly! Their phones haven't been making them anymore than what a Xplay 2 would do on its own. If they are worried about the Vita, then make it a Vita phone built using Xplay architecture. Slide out 5 inch screen with the quad core same as the Vita, running android heavily skinned with Vita style GUI, like Touchwiz does for Samsung. They already have the know how to make a quality system. With that, they have 3 potential markets, Android gamers, smartphone, and Vita gamers. Throw in 4G PS4 connectivity through remote play and you just made a portable PS4, or PS3 with PSNOW compatibility

Honestly, an XPlay 2 is a cash cow for Sony, but oh well.

Hopefully Apple mentions something about gaming on the iPhone again. I bet that'll spark a fire under them!

Miles Wolf

« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:56 pm »

Exactly! Their phones haven't been making them anymore than what a Xplay 2 would do on its own. If they are worried about the Vita, then make it a Vita phone built using Xplay architecture. Slide out 5 inch screen with the quad core same as the Vita, running android heavily skinned with Vita style GUI, like Touchwiz does for Samsung. They already have the know how to make a quality system. With that, they have 3 potential markets, Android gamers, smartphone, and Vita gamers. Throw in 4G PS4 connectivity through remote play and you just made a portable PS4, or PS3 with PSNOW compatibility

Hopefully Apple mentions something about gaming on the iPhone again. I bet that'll spark a fire under them!

A cash cow? Lol. If it was true, we would had seen the XPeria Play 2 already.

3 markets you say?

- Android gamers: this is the group that aimed the Xperia Play, and it's what made it a failure.
- Smartphone users: if you want a normal smartphone you will not buy a gaming phone.
- Vita players: yes, the same that made the Vita a complete "success".

DroidX2

« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2016, 02:11:07 pm »

A cash cow? Lol. If it was true, we would had seen the XPeria Play 2 already.

3 markets you say?

- Android gamers: this is the group that aimed the Xperia Play, and it's what made it a failure.
- Smartphone users: if you want a normal smartphone you will not buy a gaming phone.
- Vita players: yes, the same that made the Vita a complete "success".

True, the android gaming phone market is a pit that many have fallen, from N-Gage down to W3D.
For Xperia Play, it was already lacking support due to the Vita. However, Xplay had some excellent 3rd party support from devs making Xplay compatible games. Between the Vita, and the break up of Sony and Ericsson, I think the Xplay became the bastard step child of Sony. While there are many details, including the hack of the Sony built emulator for PS1 games, I feel even though the Xplay was deemed a failure, it showed the potential for the market.

As for regular smartphone users, they haven't lived until they have used analog controls on a game like slither.io, lol! But while most won't buy a gaming phone for their normal smartphone, the market is where younger buyers are concerned. Most kids have a smartphone they play games on, so this can be an alternative for them. Albeit most kids nowadays are privy to the touch screen and really don't need physical controls, some android games, mostly console quality titles, require, or highly recommend controls. So while the potential is small, there is some there.

Here is where Sony comes in, since the Vita is their system, they can easily make a slide out Vita slim, but with a port to play Vita games, so they maintain the Vita crowd. Since it's a Sony phone, they maintain a remnant of the Sony phone crowd, all while pushing the brand to probably otherwise uninterested people. Now, if running Android, unless they did something similar as they did with the PS3 for PS2 playback, they would have to have a emulator built, which would probably be hacked in the same way the Xplay was due to the open system architecture of Android. So that would be the hurdle to overcome. I haven't thought of anything yet.

I guess from my want of a gaming phone, naming the market a Cash cow for Sony is a bit of an overstatement. However, they have the backing to make it one if they were to actually try it out. With just the small Xplay push, there was over 1000 games Xplay compatible, and Xplay specially made games.

It seems like the best way to make money from a gaming phone is hardware sales, but that would mean releasing with dated hardware, in which, like the W3D, would be hated by the community due to the device being under powered.

At this moment, I'd take that! LOL! Underpowered, but as long as everything works on it, that'll be good. It is a niche device after all, perfection is not expected.

siegel17701

« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2016, 12:49:17 am »
Sony failed big time not making the Vita a phone. It takes a sim card. You can use Skype on it. The should have bit the pride bullet and at least let you use Google Hangouts.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

shinkamui

« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2016, 06:18:21 am »
Sony completely abandoned the vita.  It wouldn't make a lot of sense ot make a vita phone today if they're not pumping games out.  During the xperia play days, they could easily have written a psp emulator that ran downloadable titles, but its a bad move on a platform you can't fully control from the perspective of protecting IP.  The playstation one emulator was basically a dead platform that they could collect some nastalgia dollars off of and look at how quickly it was repurposed to run anything you wanted once the play was rooted.  Putting any of their current markets in that kind of danger wouldn't be a smart long term financial decision, so its pretty obvious why they aren't making a crossover platform for fans.  If they made a completely proprietary vita phone that ran a sony grown OS and they could secure their signing keys and chain of trust from the top to bottom, they would be pushing into a worse situation than microsoft and their phone market.  No one would develop apps for the market because its not worth the investment based on the total userbase, and no one would buy it because there are no apps.  A handful of you would buy it, but probably quickly realize its not sufficient as your daily phone platform as it lacks EVERYTHING you're used to.  This is probably why we still have only dedicated handhelds for gaming coming from these companies.

DrROBschiz

« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2016, 02:12:33 pm »
Sony completely abandoned the vita.  It wouldn't make a lot of sense ot make a vita phone today if they're not pumping games out.  During the xperia play days, they could easily have written a psp emulator that ran downloadable titles, but its a bad move on a platform you can't fully control from the perspective of protecting IP.  The playstation one emulator was basically a dead platform that they could collect some nastalgia dollars off of and look at how quickly it was repurposed to run anything you wanted once the play was rooted.  Putting any of their current markets in that kind of danger wouldn't be a smart long term financial decision, so its pretty obvious why they aren't making a crossover platform for fans.  If they made a completely proprietary vita phone that ran a sony grown OS and they could secure their signing keys and chain of trust from the top to bottom, they would be pushing into a worse situation than microsoft and their phone market.  No one would develop apps for the market because its not worth the investment based on the total userbase, and no one would buy it because there are no apps.  A handful of you would buy it, but probably quickly realize its not sufficient as your daily phone platform as it lacks EVERYTHING you're used to.  This is probably why we still have only dedicated handhelds for gaming coming from these companies.

Yup this is pretty much the reality of the situation

So really our only hope is that some company picks up the torch on Android that doesnt give a flying fuck about emulation and such on Android

Snail.... you were close

DroidX2

« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2016, 06:54:19 pm »
It seems the only way would be to make money from hardware alone, which I'm sure is not a risk any business is willing to take. They would have to make the device using pre-2014 hardware at best, similar to Snail. But then there's still promotions, updates, and probably plenty of tech support for people not knowing how to set up the buttons on non-controller compatible games. Plus, depending on the look of the device, it will narrow down the market. Whereas a person of business could get away with an Xperia play, but not a W3D.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough about a gaming phone that can entice investors. Unless we get a gamer billionaire to fund the development because he or she wants one personally and decides to spread the joy.